Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lawrencetar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2 La san Marco 2 group 85...
Grinder: La San Marco and a Dosimeter
Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 4:59pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild

back to the element. Michealo was kind enough to test my element for me, after I tested it at 43 ohms they told me in the field they recommend replacement when that number is higher than 37 ohms. Fearing spending $110 on an element for a machine I want to get rid of I had them test it. When they tested it they told me it was in the range of the brand new elements. I should have my ohm meter tested.  For lack of a tall container as suggested by TampedUp, and since I've managed to get most of the heavy scale off I'm just going to clean the gasket surfaces on the boiler, put on the heat exchangers, everything except for the main cap and suspend the element in the boiler and cap all the water line taps. I hope that will take care of the residual scale.

lawrencetar: element.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
TampedUp
TampedUp
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cimbali M30, Elektra Sixties...
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior, Rocky...
Drip: Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Roaster: I-Roast; Hottop
Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 6:49pm

Depending upon the length of the element, you can just take an empty 2 liter bottle and cut the top off or use an empty plastic bucket filled with descaler for the heating elelment.
lawrencetar

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 11:08pm

It's too long for a 2 liter. If I had a 2 and a half liter I would be set!
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Sun Jul 10, 2005, 11:39am

what aboout a 3 liter bottle?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:03pm

A three-liter bottle is just fatter, not taller, I think...

Try a baking/cake pan. The sides should be tall enough to hold enough liquid to submerge the element and a couple of inches longer than a two-liter is tall.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
lawrencetar

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 3:26am

Almost ready to hook up a pump!!  I tried two 2 liter bottles taped together with duct tape but the water was too hot for the tape to hold, I must have gone around it 10x. I ended up putting the heat exchangers and seals on then I took 4 inch squares folded in 2, of plastic bag and rubber banded them to all the threaded fittings on the boiler. I then filled that to the top with boiling water and scale clean, there is still a tiny bit o scale by the gasket area/plate where the elements are but I think once I get it together and functional I'll scale clean it again and it should take care of the last of the nasty Chicago hard water legacy. I also had a problem with the manometer not reading correctly so I took a plastic syringe and injected some scale clean into that, will see how that turns out. I also noticed the steam wands had a few frankenstein variations between them. On one I replaced the rubber o-ring with a teflon bit and kept the 2 piece brass washer, the other already had a teflon cup but had a smaller diameter hole then the one I got from Michealo and what I used in the first wand. The teflon washer looked good so I will just leave it, this wand also had a washer that fitted into the spring unlike the other. Getting there,.. soooooo many grounds to ground (and not the coffee kind!!) Oh, that teflon tape on the table was only used for the shut off valves for the cold water intake, I took them off and took out a plastic restrictor on the solinoid line that was clogged (Michealo said they remove them when they come across them in the field they tend to clog and the boiler won't fill) since there is no flange on the tube or gasket on these valves I thought it might be a good idea to carefully rap it once as to not create a clog of my own.

lawrencetar: DSCN0469.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CafeOrganica

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3g, LaCimbali M29select...
Grinder: 2 Mazzer Maj, 2 Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 4:08pm

lawrencetar Said:

I attacked the frame with a wire brush and a fresh coat of paint, hopefully when I get all the seals replaced it won't corrode like that again.

Posted July 9, 2005 link

I hope you used something along the lines of POR-15 for paint... otherwise it is very likely it will just rust under the paint...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
lawrencetar

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 12:14pm

I hope you used something along the lines of POR-15 for paint...

I wire brushed then navel jellied then applied PPG DX 520 which is a phosphoric acid based cleaner and metal conditioner which produces a zinc phosphate coating. I then hit it with 6 coats of semi flat black Rustoleum painted over a period of  2 days. Having used POR-15 in automotive applications I would say that would have been the better choice than the Rustoleum (I wish I would have thought of that sooner).
lawrencetar

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2005, 2:59pm

Just got it all together and plugged in, nothing. So I checked my connections, and then popped the pump off the motor and gave it a little turn, and then it fired right up. The tank filled and I only had 1 leaky shut of valve, the drain one. After the machine got warmed up I adjusted the group head lower seals and water pipe I tightened them a 1/4 turn after the point where they stopped leaking.
I have a question about the pump, is there supposed to be positive pressure to the pump from a faucet? Or can I use a bucket of clean water for testing purposes, because I noticed after I pulled a few test shots, after the machine is warmed up, hot water gets forced back through the pump into my bucket of fresh clean cold water.
naznar

Posted Mon Aug 1, 2005, 11:13am

I wire brushed then navel jellied then applied PPG DX 520 which is a phosphoric acid based cleaner and metal conditioner which produces a zinc phosphate coating. I then hit it with 6 coats of semi flat black Rustoleum painted over a period of  2 days. Having used POR-15 in automotive applications I would say that would have been the better

-Lawrencetar

Lawrencetar-  Could you please explain the process if you would have used POR-15.   Would you have still applied PPG DX 520 beforehand?  Also what does the navel jelly do??

Ive got a 2 group leva that i am disassembling.

-joel d.

Courier Coffee Roasters
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407618999481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+