Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
lawrencetar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2 La san Marco 2 group 85...
Grinder: La San Marco and a Dosimeter
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 3:49pm
Subject: La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild

Hi all, this is my first post, I've been trolling this site for info, and its' been helpful.
I'm looking for advice on my current rebuild of a La San Marco, here is the current state of things.
I've got two machines, the first I hope to rebuild and sell, the second I want to put in my house.
I've got all the group heads off the boiler out , went to my local Michealo (nice to be in Seattle), they were very helpful in putting a rebuild kit together for me based on all the parts bags I brought in (they were good about letting me know what was trashed and what was reusable), and their tech gave me a lot of tips and tricks! So my question is on the boiler element which is covered in scale. Both machines belonged to a espresso house in Chicago and I suspect they did nothing to treat the water. In the machine I am currently working on there were clogs all through  the lines of the machine, and one of the valves with a little plastic insert (don't know it's name) was cloged with a mineral chunk, which I think was keeping the boiler from filling. Back to the element, I tested it's ohm rating as per the tech's advice and everything is at 43 ohms, is that ok I think he said around 35 ohms was what OEM is? or too high. I've got a small package of scale clean will have to use the 5lb bag. Is there a good way to clean out the element and heat exchangers or should I just soak them in a near boiling pot of water with scale clean? Any advice? I'd like to document my process in a nice howto with picks and post it on my website, but I would like some input.
Maybe I will entitle it "How to rebuild an abused La San Marco". I also need to buy a torch today to get that pesky old gasket off the boiler. Attached a pic.

lawrencetar: IMG_7384lowres.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
lawrencetar

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 3:50pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild

another pic!!

lawrencetar: IMG_7383lowres.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2005, 3:53pm

the rebuild kit.

lawrencetar: IMG_7398lowres.jpg
(Click for larger image)
hifi_guy
hifi_guy

Espresso: Simonelli Oscar & Personal V
Grinder: Simonelli MDE, Mazzer Kony...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Melitta Cone, now unused
Posted Tue Jul 5, 2005, 12:52pm

wow!
The second picture looks positively scary.
Good luck on your brave project!

Cheers,
Bernhard
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Tue Jul 5, 2005, 1:23pm

(shudder) I want to see how this goes for you...

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TampedUp
TampedUp
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cimbali M30, Elektra Sixties...
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior, Rocky...
Drip: Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Roaster: I-Roast; Hottop
Posted Tue Jul 5, 2005, 8:37pm

Hi.  Good luck with the rebuild.  I did a similar rebuild on a Cimbali M30.  Your element should be fine.  If the element were burned out you would not get a resistance measurement across it.  To descale the elements, suspend them (do not let the plug end get wet) in a tall container with the scalekleen disolved in very hot water.  I found that you may need 2-3 soakings with fresh scalekleen, each a few hours long, to get all of the scale off.  I found a lower cost alternative.  I used StarSan, a beverage industry sanitizer made from phosphoric acid.  With this you can make it as strong or weak as you want depending upon the degree of scale.  One 4 oz container makes more than enough descaler for your whole machine and costs about as much as one or two packets of scalekleen.  When you descale the rest of the parts, if you put a bronze part with a copper piece in the same solution, the copper color will plate the bronze part.  If possible, separate the metals before cleaning.

PR
IronBarista
IronBarista

Espresso: Ginsu Silvia
Grinder: Ginsu Super Jolly & Rocky
Vac Pot: Ginsu Nada
Drip: Ginsu Melitta (pourover)
Roaster: Ginsu Behmor
Posted Tue Jul 5, 2005, 10:42pm

This webby has some cool info.  If you have some electrical and mechanical skills, you should be good.  I know I'd love to do a restoration.

I drink espresso so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso,
so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso...
lawrencetar

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 10:36am

Just got the frame back from the welder, the hot water valve hangar was wearing thin, I don't want to sell a machine that isn't  going to last.

lawrencetar: watervalvehanger.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 10:40am

I figured if the welder I went to did bodywork on Bentley's he was more than qualified to work on my La San Marco. I took it to Elhot on 12th in pine in Seattle, he's under the sign shop and charged me $75 for fabricating the support and welding it to the frame.

lawrencetar: weld2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2005, 10:42am

I attacked the frame with a wire brush and a fresh coat of paint, hopefully when I get all the seals replaced it won't corrode like that again.

lawrencetar: painted.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440025091171)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+