Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Teme
Teme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario
Posted Sun May 29, 2005, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?

I would like to thank everyone for their very constructive input. I guess there was an overflow of information (at least for me) and it is quite clear that there are several approaches to the cooling flush routines on E61 machines, a number of which will probably achieve the same goal. In the end, I have adopted the one researched and posted by Bob Yellin in this thread: "Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine - A Workable Solution"

This routine seems to work for me and the quality and consistency of my shots has improved greatly. If and when I want to go further, I will do my own measurements (I'll need to buy a multimeter with a TC) perhaps mostly out of curiosity but also to check if the fact that my machine is 220V vs Bob's 110V makes a difference (especially in the recovery times).

Br,
Teme

www.espresso-passione.com (my blog)
www.pbase.com/teme (my photo galleries)
www.ristretto.fi (my Finnish language coffee site)

LMWDP #039
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MOSFET
MOSFET
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: Post-nasal
Roaster: Perdue Oven-Stuffer
Posted Tue May 31, 2005, 8:35am

I've been in and out of the thermocouple approach, and now, like Dan, I "use the force". After speaking at length with an older Italian cafe owner about machines, I've come to use the more laid back approach. He told me, "You need a little steam to make it taste right." Since then I've backed up considerably on the flush amount and I make sure it's still steaming a little when I shut it off. The flow, color, and taste are always better than if I let it completely settle. And if I let it settle and then wait two more seconds it's always sour. I just practice seeing how much it's steaming before shutting off the preflush and correlate with taste.

Keith
 View Profile Link to this post
krumbak

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 (Doser)
Roaster: Gene Café, SC/HG, Poppers
Posted Tue May 31, 2005, 2:14pm

Keith,

Do i understand it correctly, that you with this method of yours, is pulling the shot right after the flush? No waiting 30-45 seconds after the flush?

I do the cooling flush (amount depends on how long the machine has been ideling), wait 30-45 seconds and pull.
I would like to try your approch, just want to be sure to do it right... So, flush until the water almost settles, and pull the shot immideatly hereafter?

Best regards,
Thomas.
MOSFET
MOSFET
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: Post-nasal
Roaster: Perdue Oven-Stuffer
Posted Wed Jun 1, 2005, 8:34am

krumbak Said:

Keith,

Do i understand it correctly, that you with this method of yours, is pulling the shot right after the flush? No waiting 30-45 seconds after the flush?

I do the cooling flush (amount depends on how long the machine has been ideling), wait 30-45 seconds and pull.
I would like to try your approch, just want to be sure to do it right... So, flush until the water almost settles, and pull the shot immideatly hereafter?

Best regards,
Thomas.

Posted May 31, 2005 link

Actually I'm not that exact. I don't do it immediately on purpose, but I also don't wait a set amount of time. If I had to guess I'd say I typically wait 10-20 seconds after I stop it before starting the shot, just because I'm spending time grinding and tamping. Just have fun experimenting! But I wouldn't use too much steam if your roast is particularly dark.

Keith
krumbak

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 (Doser)
Roaster: Gene Café, SC/HG, Poppers
Posted Wed Jun 1, 2005, 11:56am

Keith,

Thanks. I am experimenting... a lot! :)
It is all part of the fun, i was just looking for some pointers on doing it differently or in some other way.

I flushed a little less today - flow just settled down. Pulled the shot about 10 seconds later, had to place filterbasket in PF first. I had already dosed and tamped, as not to waste to much time.
It tasted great - well not great great, but as good as any other "great" shot i have pulled, which actually does not say a lot, but thats another story ;)

Will experiment more with your approch... cant hurt, it can only make me more experienced, either failing or succeeding ;)

Thomas.
e61brewski
e61brewski
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:50pm

i'm resurrecting this thread (though i could have picked any number of the HX flush ones) because, although i had a pretty good mastery of the e61 HX flush by senses, i recently became frustrated with what i knew was a super-awesome SO bean (the yirg on sale right now at sweet maria's) resulting in shots that were all over the map -- no matter how hard i tried to regulate brew temp with identical flushing routines. it was clear that temp fluctuations -- however minor -- were hindering consistency with a particularly temp-sensitive bean.

so i bought a thermocouple, did "fake" flushes all day long, then videotaped the most reliable flushing routine i know in order to nail a shot in the 199-203-degree range (any HX machine will still fluctuate somehwhat -- the idea was to keep it in the narrowest, most optimal zone possible).

the results -- in the form of a 7MB video -- are at the blog. also listed are the basic steps in text form. this should be of especial help to isomac users and those with similar machines (andrejas, etc.) -- i run a tea with the dual guages and dual lights to indicate the boiler cycle. if you're confused, just watch the video. anyone with an e61 group and heat exchanger should find it helpful, i think. and as i wrote on the blog, this neatly consummates, for me, what has been a series of related home machine issues -- why certain blends and beans are better for the home than others, how well the boiler gauge serves as a temp proxy, how to perform the optimal HX flush, etc.

direct link here.

regards,
ben

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Teme
Teme

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:01pm

Ben,

For some reason I am unable to open the file / video clip from them link on your blog...

Br,
Teme

www.espresso-passione.com (my blog)
www.pbase.com/teme (my photo galleries)
www.ristretto.fi (my Finnish language coffee site)

LMWDP #039
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 12:19am

Same here:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /flush.mov on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
e61brewski
e61brewski

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 7:11am

fellas:

my most profuse apologies. there was a bizarre permissions issue that i have now worked out. the links should work.
ben

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 9:34am

I made a thermometer that mounts in the brew path so I do not have to guess at the temp any longer.

Here is how I made it.

cannonfodder: shotstart.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440932035446)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+