Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
srwven

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90S
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: Stir crazy/convec oven
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Timing the cooling flush on E61 machines?

Very nice cannonfodder.  That gives me an idea for my Livia.  Though it isn't an E61, I could drill a very small diam. hole in the copper tubing going to the brewhead and solder a thermal probe in there.  I had previously used the basker thermocouple method, but having that in the portafilter is a pain.  Thank you!
 View Profile Link to this post
e61brewski
e61brewski

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:06am

very nice indeed.

i'm suprised that you got the brew temp to stay around 200 degrees for (presumably) 30 seconds. is that the case?

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:11am

cannonfodder Said:

I made a thermometer that mounts in the brew path so I do not have to guess at the temp any longer.

Here is how I made it.

Posted July 14, 2005 link

Sweet mother of pearl!

I guess I know what my next DIY project will be.

Well done!  And thanks for sharing.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:31am

Yes, the temp held that range through the entire shot. You have to remember that the water is flowing through that massive three pound (or there about) hunk of brass. That gives the E61 machines their inherent thermal stability. It takes a lot of water to cool that big thing down. That is also why they take at least a half hour to heat up.

When you pull the shot you are also flowing much less water through the HX than you are with no ground coffee in the PF. The lower flow rate allows the water passing through the HX more time to heat. The group head takes care of the rest.

I can get very repeatable shots by keeping an eye on the temp, and I can surf the 195-205 range to find what works best with a particular blend.

Glad you find it helpful.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:53am

There is one thing I want to point out in regard to Benís (e61brewski) post about the temp. You have to keep in mind that this is a digital thermometer, not a thermocouple. The thermometer works on a thermal resistor and is a little less accurate and responsive than a thermocouple. So if I was using a TC you may have seen more flux in the temp.

Personally, I donít have $200 to drop on a TC. This is intended to help remove that guessing variable. Regardless if the temp shows 200.8f but is actually 201.8f, you still get consistency from shot to shot.

By the way, I got a kick out of your Isomac video, watched it a couple of weeks ago and laughed my head off. I had the same experience when my Millennium arrived.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
Teme
Teme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 11:43am

Ben,

Yes, the link works now. Very nice blog and very nice clip.

I assume this is not directly applicable to my Andreja Premium due to the fact that it cycles at longer intevals than the Tea due to boiler insulation? However, I agree that this is very informative to the owners of uninsulated machines of similar specs.

I am currently happy with my flushing routine, but occasionally (even though I am a bit anti-gadget as you may gather from this) I am tempted to verify the temperatures with a TC...

Br,
Teme

www.espresso-passione.com (my blog)
www.pbase.com/teme (my photo galleries)
www.ristretto.fi (my Finnish language coffee site)

LMWDP #039
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
srwven

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90S
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: Stir crazy/convec oven
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 12:49pm

cannonfodder Said:

There is one thing I want to point out in regard to Benís (e61brewski) post about the temp. You have to keep in mind that this is a digital thermometer, not a thermocouple. The thermometer works on a thermal resistor and is a little less accurate and responsive than a thermocouple. So if I was using a TC you may have seen more flux in the temp.

Personally, I donít have $200 to drop on a TC.

Posted July 14, 2005 link

You can pick up a descent thermocouple for WAY less than $200.  I have found mine, that I picked up for less than $40, to  be VERY accurate.  But like you point out, the most important thing is consistency.  If you find that the espresso tastes bitter to you at 200.8 on your thermometer, but 199.8 tastes fantastic, then who the hell cares if 200.8 is actually 201.8.  You know how you like the taste and with your fantastic mod, you can consistently know when you are pulling that temp.
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 1:20pm

There is a link to a very cheap thermocouple that pops up in this forum from time to time.  I think it is $30 to $40 - very reasonable.  If I was to go the TC route, anyone have any suggestions about bonding the TC through the hex bolt?  The nice thing about the thermometer approach that Cannonfodder did is that you can chop down the thermometer housing so that the resistor is shielded by the metal thermometer housing.  I was thinking of just chopping up an old kithchen thermometer and sliding the TC probe into it.  Would this work?

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 1:36pm

I had thought about trying this with a TC using the same basic approach. I work for a restaurant supply company so we have more than a few TC that we use for QC checking. They occasionally break the wires from one of the type K probes. I could hack the probe body the same way, remove the innards and braze the TC housing just as I did this one. Then reassemble and repair the lead. I just have to get a reader to plug the probe into.

But like srwven stated, consistency is the primary concern for this application. Now if I was product testing I would use a TC with a logging rig attached to a computer, but that is a horse of another color.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
AnnP
AnnP
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita, VBM DoubleDomo Super!
Grinder: San Marco 90, Macap Stepless...
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Cuisinart Grind and Brew...
Roaster: Make a suggestion!
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 3:09pm

Ok, Cannonfodder...  I want one of those!

I'm just guessing on the flush, hoping that following the instructions will do the trick.

Sigh - I don't suppose you've thought about a small production run?

Ann
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Timing the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.457900047302)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+