Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please help me with my lever
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please help me...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
moy71
moy71
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly HX
Grinder: Mazzer Mini manual
Vac Pot: Hario Moca
Drip: Melitta pour-over
Roaster: drum BBQ,  Whirley pop,...
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2005, 8:37pm
Subject: Please help me with my lever

I have just bought the LaScala butterfly and would like to find out how everyone else uses their  "lever"  (the one with a cam that flicks a switch, not the LaPavoni types) on their machines.  

My machine is not plumbed, and the lever has 2 positions -i)  middle, which is the preinfusion and ii) top, which is the actual brewing.  

Does anyone hold the lever in the middle or preinfusion stage?  if so how long do you leave it there before the actual brewing (all the way up)?  

Or perhaps do you simply go from off position all the way up ie ignoring the middle position altogether?

Really just curious more than anything.
 View Profile Link to this post
EN
EN

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia (press)
Drip: Ya, i hear it too, where is...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 5:29am
Subject: Re: Please help me with my lever

Seems to me, it depends on who you talk to!!  most who pre-infuse seem to do it for either 5 or 10 sec.
Teme
Teme

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario
Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 7:47am

I do not hold my lever in the middle position, i.e. I just "throw" it all the way up. The pump takes time to build up pressure and the pre-infusion chamber of the E61 do take care of the pre-infusion part.

Also, and others please correct me if I am wrong, the middle position of the E61 was intended for the true commercial E61 machines with rotary pumps (i.e. instant pressure, no delay) but have no use in a home setting. So how about the home machines with rotaries? I think the middle position is still redundant - but this is not knowledge , just a guess ;-)

Br,
Teme

www.espresso-passione.com (my blog)
www.pbase.com/teme (my photo galleries)
www.ristretto.fi (my Finnish language coffee site)

LMWDP #039
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ev
ev

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super 2004
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 9:35am

My understanding is that you flick the lever up all the way. Pre-infusion automatically takes place. The middle position means nothing.
HB

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 1:44pm

For reservoir / vibe pump type machines, some water will dribble out when you raise the lever halfway since the HX is under pressure, but that's all. If you had constant line pressure and no solenoid cutoffs (*), water would flow through the HX under mains line pressure, providing a gentle preinfusion. Although I have no personal experience with it, I understand the Synesso has this capability (i.e., manual preinfusion under line pressure or an automatic preinfusion cycle).

Note: It takes quite a few readings to absorb, but the E61 patent description and diagram (below) make it clear what's going on in the "halfway" position (if I read the labels right, the short answer is "water can pass from chamber 3 to chamber 14").

-- Dan

(*) My plumbed-in machine includes a water inlet solenoid to prevent backflow in the event of a mains pressure failure, so active line pressure is not present at the group unless the pump is running.

HB: e61patentdrawing.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
moy71
moy71

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2005, 11:43pm

i had another good look this morning and i found that when i leave it on the middle setting, quite a bit of water does trickle out so long as the lever is in the middle (no pump action though; just water oozing out).  In fact, i can also hear it trickling out.... even  when my PF is locked in the group head.  

i can imagine the scenario:  PF full of coffee being soaked by water just before the actual brewing takes place.

ps...come to think of it, the reason why i hear the preinfusion must be because i haven't flushed long enough....its the "crackling" or water dancing on the shower screen that i hear.

i have to do more comparisons tomorrow to see the taste difference when i manually preinfuse vs lever all the way up straight away.  i might even purposely over- preinfuse for say, 10-15secs just to see if it will amplify any difference in taste.

i'll keep you posted.
HB

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 9:38am

moy71 Said:

ps...come to think of it, the reason why i hear the preinfusion must be because i haven't flushed long enough....its the "crackling" or water dancing on the shower screen that i hear.

Posted July 15, 2005 link

Indeed, that's why "manual preinfusion" in this case is a bit of a misnomer. There's no pressure left in the HX after the cooling flush, and if you wait for it to build up, the temperature will be off. C'est la vie, mon ami.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
moy71
moy71

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2005, 3:02am

deep down, i am beginning to tink that the whole HX system is a bit flawed then isn't it?

the whole reason i upraded was no more "wait" or "down" time between extractions.   but i think this isn't the case as there is such a thing as rebound time, lag time etc.

so in essence, pls correct me if i am wrong....but on an HX, I cannot make say 10 espressos in a row?  I am talking one after another (bang, bang, bang)?  i gotta wait in between shots?
HB

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2005, 6:00am

moy71 Said:

so in essence, pls correct me if i am wrong....but on an HX, I cannot make say 10 espressos in a row?  I am talking one after another (bang, bang, bang)?  i gotta wait in between shots?

Posted July 17, 2005 link

Actually the majority of this flushing business is necessary because you're not going "bang, bang, bang." Heavy-group machines prefer to be run continuously.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 17, 2005, 7:47am

moy71 Said:

i gotta wait in between shots?

Posted July 17, 2005 link

If it takes you more than 30 seconds to reload your portafilter between shots then it's always been best (in my experience) to draw a few ounces of water through the group before locking in.  

LISTEN for the flow to go smooth, then lock and load...

The rebound time on my Relax is less than a minute, so if I wait too long between shots then I need to run a flush for a few seconds to clear the HX tube of overheated water.  

If you consider that extra 10-20 seconds of flushing a "wait" while running the water then your statement is true.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please help me...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.470175027847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+