Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Yet another HX flush question
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yet another HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ozark_61
Ozark_61
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 3:56pm
Subject: Yet another HX flush question

I read the HX Love article on HB and am having a problem getting one point through my head...

I understand convention that you have to limit the cool down flush to avoid over cooling the gh.  Why is this true when the 'water dance' chart levels out at 204' from about 7 seconds on (to infinity it appears)?

Geoff
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 4:15pm
Subject: Re: Yet another HX flush question

Ozark_61 Said:

I understand convention that you have to limit the cool down flush to avoid over cooling the gh.  Why is this true when the 'water dance' chart levels out at 204' from about 7 seconds on (to infinity it appears)?

Posted July 22, 2005 link

I don't think that overcooling is a problem. The group head may actually be overheated until you flush a couple extra ounces after the sputtering stops.
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 6:16pm

The group head does not ever get overcooled unless you turn the machine off.  The group of a thermosyphon machine is actively heated using boiler water (so the flush doesn't cool it down very much).  

As far as I know there is no "convention that you have to limit the cool down flush to avoid over cooling the gh".  IIRC there is no such statement made in Dan's article (as always, I could be wrong).

I can let my machine flow and flow and flow and flow for well over a minute and the temperature reaches a steady point and stays there.  As long as I start my shot within about 30 seconds after flushing it always comes out pretty well for me.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
mattyj
mattyj

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Mocha 3 Cup ... broken...
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 6:40pm

In the Grimac Mia review, Malachi mentions the 'professional' version of the cooling flush, done just before pulling a shot, rather than before the dose, distribute, tamp.

Does anyone else do it this way?
How long do you flush for/what amount of water do you flush/what signs are you looking for?

My reasons for asking are that next month I'm getting an expobar, and I'm not confident that my technique is good enough to have it all (the D.D.T. step) done in 30 seconds ... which, IIRC would mean that the group would get too hot again, and I'd need to flush again.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 6:59pm

mattyj Said:

I'm not confident that my technique is good enough to have it all (the D.D.T. step) done in 30 seconds ... which, IIRC would mean that the group would get too hot again, and I'd need to flush again.

First I DDT, then (for a milk drink) I steam my milk.  Finally I flush and immediately lock in and pull the shot.   Click Here to see my typical sequence.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 7:21pm

mattyj Said:

In the Grimac Mia review, Malachi mentions the 'professional' version of the cooling flush, done just before pulling a shot, rather than before the dose, distribute, tamp. Does anyone else do it this way?

Yes, for reasons of consistency. I can't time the DDT ritual exactly, but it's very easy to get consistent timing on the FLP (flush, lock, pull shot). For a hotter brew temp, you can HX temp surf (by allowing the water to heat up in the HX before pulling the shot). There have been quite a few CG posts on this. But IMHO this shouldn't be necessary if the boiler temp/pressure is set correctly.

mattyj Said:

How long do you flush for/what amount of water do you flush/what signs are you looking for?

I follow Dan's guidelines: flush until the sputtering stops, then flush a couple more ounces. I'd guess a 4-6oz flush is typical for me.
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 8:58pm

mattyj Said:

In the Grimac Mia review, Malachi mentions the 'professional' version of the cooling flush, done just before pulling a shot, rather than before the dose, distribute, tamp.

Does anyone else do it this way?

My reasons for asking are that next month I'm getting an expobar, and I'm not confident that my technique is good enough to have it all (the D.D.T. step) done in 30 seconds ... which, IIRC would mean that the group would get too hot again, and I'd need to flush again.

Different resulting brew temp profiles.

Best option for almost everyone is the Water Dance, but you can choose to do it immediately before pulling the shot or immediately before building it depending on what profile you want.
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 9:41pm

About halfway down the HX Love page, Dan writes:

"If youíve pulled a shot within the last five minutes, youíll need to pay extra attention because the cooling flush will be much shorter than if the machine has been idle for 10-15 minutes (on the order of ľ the amount of water). You may hear only a brief hiss and thatís it. Donít draw too much water or the next extraction will be under temperature (sour)."

That's the 'convention' I was talking about... but it sounds like it might be a party of one?

JonR10 Said:

The group head does not ever get overcooled unless you turn the machine off.  The group of a thermosyphon machine is actively heated using boiler water (so the flush doesn't cool it down very much).  

As far as I know there is no "convention that you have to limit the cool down flush to avoid over cooling the gh".  IIRC there is no such statement made in Dan's article (as always, I could be wrong).

I can let my machine flow and flow and flow and flow for well over a minute and the temperature reaches a steady point and stays there.  As long as I start my shot within about 30 seconds after flushing it always comes out pretty well for me.

JonR10
JonR10

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 9:54pm

I suppose I could be wrong, like I said...
(And I was absolutely wrong about the article reference)

The specifics will depend on your machine's design and boiler setting...

But my coolest steady-state temp is maybe 202F (IIRC) so like I said I can flow water until the drip tray fills up and still lock and load and pull a good-temperature shot every time.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:38pm

Ozark_61 Said:

About halfway down the HX Love page, Dan writes:

"If youíve pulled a shot within the last five minutes, youíll need to pay extra attention because the cooling flush will be much shorter than if the machine has been idle for 10-15 minutes (on the order of ľ the amount of water). You may hear only a brief hiss and thatís it. Donít draw too much water or the next extraction will be under temperature (sour)."

Now I see your confusion! I don't understand this either. Perhaps Dan would care to explain...?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yet another HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.558312177658)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+