Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso Doms Killer Wega Lyra
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso Doms...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Rick
Rick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Espresso Doms Killer Wega Lyra

Wega owners might like to know that Dom's new P-Stat is available through EPNW for a very reasonable price.  It looks like an improvement over the MA-TER that comes with the machine. I think it's worth changing out the MA-TER before it goes, and keeping it around as a spare.

http://espressoparts.com/product/MZ_L271

Rick
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 12:36pm

Dom - I noticed from one of your "under the hood" pics that your water level rod is extended about an inch or so out of the white collar.   Mine has always only been extended about 1/8".   Does anyone know if extending the rod lowers or raises the water level inside the boiler?

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 8:52pm

strugs Said:

Dom - I noticed from one of your "under the hood" pics that your water level rod is extended about an inch or so out of the white collar.   Mine has always only been extended about 1/8".   Does anyone know if extending the rod lowers or raises the water level inside the boiler?

Posted October 23, 2005 link

Sean, Raising the probe increases water volume in the boiler. Playing around with this, may help with steam volume and the heating elements ability to recover steam capacity quicker. Its a fine line and a balance that takes time to adjust, but on a smallish size boiler like the Lyra the benifits are great.

Terry Z
 View Profile Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 10:08pm

terryz Said:

Sean, Raising the probe increases water volume in the boiler. Playing around with this, may help with steam volume and the heating elements ability to recover steam capacity quicker. Its a fine line and a balance that takes time to adjust, but on a smallish size boiler like the Lyra the benifits are great.

Thanks for the info Terry.  One thing I am still confused about, though - what did you mean by "fine line and a balance"?  Does raising the water level increase the steam capability at the expense of something else?

Since the laundry list for Dom's upgrades does not seem to include an upgraded heating element, perhaps the higher water level compared to mine explains how his boiler pressure does not drop significantly while steaming.  I am going to try raising the levels right now.

- Sean
Rick
Rick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005, 8:09pm

There have been long discussions of boiler water level vs. steaming ability over on AC.  I haven't experimented with it, but theoretically, more water should yield better steaming.

This was neatly summarized by AndyS in a post some time ago:

Click Here (groups.google.ca)

In practice, it is probably important to retain at least some head space, but how much??

Rick
itinerant

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005, 9:24pm

strugs Said:

Does raising the water level increase the steam capability at the expense of something else?

Quantity vs. quality. If the water level is too high then steam quality will suffer & you will start to get wet steam or carryover. On a HX machine it may also lead to higher water temperatures at the group as more of the HX is submerged.

strugs
strugs

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:00pm

itinerant Said:

Quantity vs. quality. If the water level is too high then steam quality will suffer & you will start to get wet steam or carryover. On a HX machine it may also lead to higher water temperatures at the group as more of the HX is submerged.

Posted October 24, 2005 link

After raising the probe by about an inch, I noted the following:

• Steaming pressure did not drop as quickly or as much
  • 3 degrees F increase in group head temp after 30+ minutes idle
  • Flush required to cool HX water to proper brew temps increased by about 20%
  • Flush required between shots increased dramatically
  • No noticeable change in wet steam vs dry steam

I was really tempted to leave it at the new increased water level, but the water flushing is killing me.  My machine must have a tendency to run excessively hot.  Most geeks seem to draw a 4 to 6 oz cooling flush prior to brewing.  Even before increasing the water level, I needed to flush between 10 and 11 oz to purge superheated water from the HX.

So, although steaming performance was improved significantly, I dialed down the water level probe to its original setting because I hate having to flush so much water all the time.

- Sean
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:13am

The problem occurs with more ater covering the HX and thus slowing the thermosyphon. You could play with the probe to find what works best. Maybe set it at .50 higher than original setting.

Terry Z
randyr

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 2grp FB70
Grinder: LM Swift, Mahkonig Guatemala
Drip: Fetco CBS-31AAP
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 4:18pm

So this 2 hole tip doesn't fit on a standard Wega??
randyr

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 2grp FB70
Grinder: LM Swift, Mahkonig Guatemala
Drip: Fetco CBS-31AAP
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 3:23pm

Rick Said:

Wega owners might like to know that Dom's new P-Stat is available through EPNW for a very reasonable price.  It looks like an improvement over the MA-TER that comes with the machine. I think it's worth changing out the MA-TER before it goes, and keeping it around as a spare.

http://espressoparts.com/product/MZ_L271

Rick

Is this the same P-stat?
http://www.espressoparts.com/C_386?&search_id=1961658
Except this one is 1/4" instead of 1/8" the Wega needs.
showing page 10 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso Doms...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.542622089386)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+