Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rematch of Rocky versus Mazzer Mini
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rematch of Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
HB

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2003, 7:53pm
Subject: Rematch of Rocky versus Mazzer Mini

This is the follow-up report to Craig's excellent ** Rocky SS Doser vrs Mazzer Mini Shootout **.  My coffee buddy Richard and I convened at my house yesterday morning with La Valentina, Mazzer Mini, and Rocky.  After a quick calibration, we pulled three shots each then ranked them on a number of criteria: coloring, crema, flecking, cinnamon "dusting", body, flavor, finish, smoothness, and time to blonding.  All the shots were very good to excellent (1.25-1.5oz double ristrettos of Intelligentsia Black Cat extracted at 198F in 23-27 seconds).

Our Part I conclusion: For the Valentina/Rocky/Mazzer combo, the grinder difference was notable but not astounding.  Frankly this was my expectation.  But there was a surprise in store... later that same day, I went over Richard's house to help diagnose a nagging problem with shots he's been pulling lately (see Some extraordinary results by reverse temperature surfing).  I brought along my grinder figuring that once we were satisfied the problem was solved, we could turn to comparing Rocky/Mazzer Mini with Silvia.  Should be fun, right?

Our Part II conclusion: For the Silvia/Rocky/Mazzer combo, the grinder difference was unmistakeable.  That was a big surprise and I barely was able to extract the Mazzer Mini from his kitchen.  He's talking upgrade now (hey, first finish paying me for Silvia/Rocky!  ;-).

I'll readily admit that I was skeptical of a significant "Mazzer" difference.  I recognized it was an improvement, but figured it was marginal.  Maybe the alignment of Earth and Mars had something to do with it, or the reverse temperature surfing made the difference.  We were both so surprised by the "rock my world" calibre of the first Silvia/Mazzer shot that we figured it was a fluke.  Next shot was nearly as good and easily ranked as "excellent."  The third was also very good.

Our final conclusion: The Mazzer Mini is indeed consistently better than Rocky for both Silvia and La Valentina.  We plan another rematch, this time with both combos in one kitchen and true blind taste tests.  There are a number of other variables that I'm leaving out of this report that we'll need to settle before the rematch.  Stay tuned for the Silvia/Rocky/Mazzer versus Valentina/Rocky/Mazzer Slugfest II.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Aug 24, 2003, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: Rematch of Rocky versus Mazzer Mini

Excellent factual report report as usual Dan!
I didn't really want to hook up my DVM to measure the pour temps in the cup using MG & getting a full cascading Guinness effect, bottom to the top of that Malabar Gold 4oz glass, settled crema @ ". I had measured the temps earlier only with water pulls, & I know there would obviously be a difference in temps & extraction times (resistance of the coffee puck) between water & the viscosity of the MG pull. S.G (Specific Gravity of water with a brewing hydrometer, standard calibraton is @ 60F & is 1.000.

I have the correction factors for different temps, & I'll post the corrected temp for a water pull temp of say, 201F. Depending on TDS,(interfering with a proper reading) & extracted sugars,I'd be interested in the S.G. of say a ristretto pull with the stock Rancilio double basket 14gr, double LM ridged 17gr, the LM style 21gr triple basket with LM style Ascaso 15 angled portafilter handle @ that 201F temp.

Now that I'm reading your in depth coverage of the shot criteria measurments, I should have gone into more detailed depth of description also. {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Mon Aug 25, 2003, 4:56am

CraigA Said:

Now that I'm reading your in depth coverage of the shot criteria measurment's, I should have gone into more detailed depth of description also. {:-D

Posted August 25, 2003 link

In-depth?  Richard and I are far from taste experts but fortunately we're comparing shots of the same blend that we use daily.  We agreed up front to focus on "subjective" criteria, e.g., no rulers to measure crema depth.  Here's an example of my notes for a given shot using some of my own "made up" terminology:

above average color, more flecking than prior shot, slight halo, some cinnamon dusting, very good body, minor bitter finish (better than last)

More precisely, that was shot #2 Valentina/Mazzer.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Aug 25, 2003, 9:03am

dan_kehn Said:

In-depth?  Richard and I are far from taste experts but fortunately we're comparing shots of the same blend that we use daily.

Yeah Dan,

What I meant/mean is that you have more rating categorys/criteria to rate the shots than my more simplistic methods.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there..., gotta not drink three doubles & a triple, & then type! {:-O

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:40pm

I'd love to see you guys put up a Rocky modified like mine against a Mazzer.

Why?

Because I feel my mod offers a unique feature I didn't see on others mods.  The elimination of grind drift.  I noticed a dramatic improvement in flavor from the very second I added this mod.  The flavor became cleaner and more defined in my espresso.  I didn't change anything else in my technique.  But the results today are clearly better than yesterdays, and this mod is the only change.

Speculation:

My mod offers a comparable rigidity in the grinding environment as seen in the Mazzers with its high-tension spring configuration.

(a bold statement)  I just can't dismiss the changes I experienced today.  In 9 doubles each and every shot was better than yesterday.  I can see getting lucky on one shot or two, but all of them?

Ok so there's your challenge...

TimEggers: Picture 006.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2007, 7:15am

I read your post on the other thread Tim about your stepless mod, very nice! {:-)
It only make sense that you had the improvment because you'll have a dramatic degree of stepless control over Rockys stepped adjustments which are or the order of 15 secs for every click., & with the tightness of the pipe clamps & grippy plastic tubing, you're eliminating the upper burr carrier play.

On my link that I posted earlier on the other thread, to where I did the testing with my Rocky., the play is substantial., if you happened to have read it here.

TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Feb 12, 2007, 9:45am

I read your post on the other thread Tim about your stepless mod, very nice! {:-)
It only make sense that you had the improvment because you'll have a dramatic degree of stepless control over Rockys stepped adjustments which are or the order of 15 secs for every click., & with the tightness with the pipe clamps you're eliminating the upper burr carrier play.

On my link that I posted earlier on the other thread, to where I did the testing with my Rocky., the play is substantial., if you happened to have read it here.

Yeah Craig I have read your remarks there and the observations seem spot on!  This mod should last me until my next upgrade (hey I can't completely avoid "the bug")...  ;)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
PaulTheRoaster
PaulTheRoaster

Espresso: Faema C84 A/1, Eterna leva...
Grinder: Compak K6, Solis Classic
Drip: French Press, Swiss Gold...
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Mon Feb 12, 2007, 2:34pm

Tim, I did a cheap stepless mod to my RR45 a while back and also noticed a big difference. It, too, had a lot of play in the burr carrier and now is very stiff. One weekend I borrowed a Mazzer Major and didn't notice much of a difference between the two (on a pidded, pressure-adjusted silvia). But I only had 6 months of espresso-making under my belt at the time, so I'd have to redo the test to be convinced.
 View Profile Link to this post
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2007, 9:53pm

So ar you willing to share the stepless mod for the rossi?  I am surely curious?  Thanks

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rematch of Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370990037918)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+