Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Question about Grinders
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jamuka
jamuka
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Kitchenaid Proline, Retro, &...
Vac Pot: In search of...
Drip: never again
Roaster: 3 Poppery Mark I's
Posted Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:01pm
Subject: Question about Grinders

I've been using the Kitchenaid Proline Grinder with Silvia to make Espresso.  I've noticed that the crema on my shots is always darker than that I get at a (good) cafe.  I've bought the beans at these cafes to try to duplicate their results at home and it's the same.  Is this happening due to dust in the grind?

I've heard that Tiger flecks are desireable, but I'm not sure if that's always what I'm getting...

Any thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
krazy_crane
krazy_crane
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro(home), Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bodum French Press, Barista...
Roaster: Stir Crazy/Sunpentown...
Posted Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:07pm
Subject: Re: How's the taste?

Does your espresso taste burnt?  Darker color can be due to higher roast temp, or better extraction.  If yours tastes burnt the first, if it tastes better the latter.  Can you take a digital pic of your crema?  What is your procedure, how much are you dosing, tamp, how long is the extraction, how much volume, crema/espresso ratio.

Kevin
EN
EN

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia (press)
Drip: Ya, i hear it too, where is...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: Question about Grinders

The espresso i buy at a caffee has terrible white crema.  At home its thick and dark.  Chances are, the coffee your brewing is far superior to that of the caffee.
doctorsimon

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema E98 S Compact (on...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini EL, Russell...
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 11:30am

I think the white crema is produced by those 'false crema cheat' devices. Let's worry about the taste and texture, not the colour.

The tiger striping business is what you'll see if you use a bottomless handle with your portafilter. Too much information is a dangerous thing.
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 12:02pm

You *want* tiger striping, whether it's in the cone coming out of a bottomless or the rust-colored crema colllecting in your cup from a spouted PF.  I get it (or speckled crema with a bottomless) when everything comes together: dosing, grind, tamp, water temp and the coffee being "in the pocket" between 4-7 days post-roast. But it's too easy to get hung up on appearance and forget that it's all about texture and above all TASTE!

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zen142

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 12:33pm

Sounds like you're temp settings might be off...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353535890579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+