Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
question about Rancilio Silvia, taste and pressure adjustment
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > question about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
haak

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja
Grinder: Milano
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Fri Dec 2, 2005, 3:59pm
Subject: question about Rancilio Silvia, taste and pressure adjustment

My tastes have some time ago learned to appreciate ristretos, and have taken over as my favorite coffee drink. I have a Silvia which I was using to my satisfaction for about 3 months but since my ristreto evolution I was finding  my coffee a tad too bitter.
As I roast my own I at first attributed this to the varietals and my roasting, and so experimented with both in an effort to bring the bitterness down a notch. Recently I attended the testing of the Marzocco CS3 at the Elysian Room in Vancouver (niiiiice) and to cut a long story short discovered that the extra bitterness in my cup was caused by a grind setting too fine, eventhough the extraction times were perfectly suited for my Silvia (25 seconds). I experimented at home and achieved a noticable reduction in bitterness by using a slightly coarser grind, but now my extraction times are around 12 seconds which might be too fast.
I should also mentioned that a couple of months ago I have put a new vibe pump in which seems to plough through anything.
So I have decided to mod my Silvia and try to reduce the pressure. Does anyone have similiar experiences? Any helpful hints? Can someone point me to a nice link with concise instructions (I have found one already but am looking for more).
Also, is anyone willing to sell or lend me (I live in Surrey, BC, Canada) a pressure gauge fitted portafilter that fits the Silvia. I appreciate your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2005, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: question about Rancilio Silvia, taste and pressure adjustment

If your pump is set too high (over 9 bars or 135 p.s.i.) the coffee will tend to have an awesome crema but a sharp, overextracted flavor.

12 seconds is way too quick. I shoot for 25.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2005, 9:03am

1. Check the temp at the brew screen (see the link in my sig).

2. Do the pressure mod via Greg Scace (google for link) - I replaced the factory copper ring with a part from an auto store (Advanced Auto I think) , oil pan plug gasket, copper, (Dorman part# 65273)  5/8"/M14 whatever that means - it's 5/8"id which is the important part, and about 1 1/3 the thickness of the factory one.  Pressure now measures 9 bar.  Change in taste?  Not sure. Probably.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
KittJ

Espresso: PID Expobar Brewtus IIIR;
Grinder: Mazzer: Mini & SJ
Drip: Why??
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2005, 9:31am

Kristi,  
Would you drop me a quick note off line via my e-mail button below.  I need to run an idea by you.
Thanks
KittJ     in Winchester at the moment
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2005, 9:48am

KittJ Said:

Kristi,  
Would you drop me a quick note off line via my e-mail button below.  I need to run an idea by you.
Thanks
KittJ     in Winchester at the moment

Posted December 3, 2005 link

done, I think!

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
richardtempura
richardtempura
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major (Rio)
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2005, 7:47pm

I did the copper gasket mod and found a small inconvenience.

There's alot more steam buildup in my boiler.

Guess the OPV is acting differently with the extra gasket.....

It's not that bad though; I flushed the boiler before; now it has to be done....

Then again, it really helped alot!

Smoother pours, bigger body....
haak

Espresso: Andreja
Grinder: Milano
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Dec 6, 2005, 12:43am

Mod completed. I used about a pound of beans for testing and can tell you that the taste difference is noticable. A lot less bitter as I can use a bit coarser grind. Hmm. Nice. A bit less crema as well. Not much though. I also found out that ECM put out a machine for 2006 called ECM Botticelli II. This is apparently their second attempt, as the first was put out around 2001. Reason I am mentioning it is because it seems to fit the same class as the Silvia and Venus, except it costs a lot more than either, around CDN$900.
Thank you for the link, and everyone thanks for your help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > question about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369147062302)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+