Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Elektra Mini Vertical
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Elektra Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Elektra Mini Vertical

Agree with Jim comment

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 9:19pm

The Elektra Mini is a beauty and the build looks top notch too.  From the inside shots at

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

you can see some quality design

(1) (adjustable) Capillary thermostat for the brewing temperature
(2) bulb for the thermostat is placed in the middle of the boiler
(3) brass boiler looks to be abut the size of Silvia's to ECM Botticelli's boiler
(4) copper pipes for water flow under pressure
(5) metal shield between boiler and pump and main body of the capillary thermostat
      (cool means longer life)

From the parts diagram and a common heating element wattage, I suspect that the Elektra is using the same boiler/group as the Brasilia Club.  That would put the size of the boiler to be roughly the same size as the Silvia boiler.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:06pm

I think I'll keep my T1 . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
johnjacques

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa / Elektra...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 9:11am

Yes, they are gorgeous. Better looking even than the Semiautomatica. A real mini Belle Epoque. The issue is that it's not a HX machine but a straightforward single boiler. There must be reasons for this but it makes the Semiautomatica a no-brainer at $600 less. If it had the same internals as the SA, I'd happily pay that $600 for the even prettier bodywork.
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:35am
Subject: Re: Elektra Mini Vertical - disappointing

KGCafe Said:

This machine was bought in Dubai. When I asked about after sales service, the saleswoman said "Don't worry about that, Elektras never pack up", and anyway we have the expertise. Bought the machine, it ran well for a while. One thing that did initially disappoint was that for such a Chromed beauty (I bought the chrome version), the water tank is cheap plastic, hidden of course by the dome with Eagle atop. Anyway, after a couple of the months the espresso shots started coming out without any crema. The shop took it back, "fixed it" and gave it back to me. Same problem with lack of crema. Unfortunately by this time I'd brought the machine to India so couldn't go back to Dubai shop to complain. Anyway, sent a few emails to Elektra asking about service in India and or even at least a service manual - to no avail. Now the machine doesn't even switch on, and no reply from Elektra on anything. Won't be buying Elektra again...

Posted January 23, 2013 link

Just to note, Italian espresso machine manufacturers do not provide end user warranty. This is up to the dealer you purchased from. This is why

a) the choice of the dealer should be an important factor in the purchase decision as it will be the dealer providing support and warranty, and
b) this is one reason we do not export equipment (at the time of this writing) outside the USA as our ability to service our customers to our standards would be very challenging (time zones, language, etc) and the sale of one machine here or there is not worth damaging our reputation.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
johnjacques

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa / Elektra...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:52am

Jim's absolutely correct, of course, and you really shouldn't abandon Elektra because of the lack of factory support. One of my two current machines is a twenty five year old and as best I can judge unrestored Semiautomatica. Unrestored because it simply hasn't needed any restoration. The build quality is excellent and long-term reliability speaks for itself.
KGCafe

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 6 Compact,...
Grinder: Mahlkonig automatic,...
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 6:56am

@1stline - I understand that Elektra does not service it's own warranty, but that the dealer does. In my case the dealer did a bad job with that service, so to me this reflects partly on the dealer, but equally on Elektra for lack of adequate dealer training. In any event it's now post-warranty period and all I wanted was some communication from them with a service centre number or a parts diagram or some instructions. And what I get instead is no reply from the company. It's worth mentioning here that the product has now completely stopped working. For a product that is clearly in the top end of it's segment pricewise and purports to be a design piece that would last you decades, this lack of customer service to me is unacceptable. They could have just put the aforementioned information up on their website but haven't done so.

The fact that 1stline doesn't just sell where they can't support is commendable, and reflects well on 1stline. You also have a great website. Any help in the direction of the diagrams, online repair videos, instructions, etc would be appreciated as I still want to get this machine fixed and will try myself - just too expensive to have this pretty sculpture occupying space in my kitchen...
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Elektra Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386108875275)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+