Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GernBlanston
GernBlanston
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2005, 7:06pm
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild

I can answer part of that question.  Naval Jelly reduces rust back to metal.  when Iron rusts it oxidizes from Fe +2 (Iron) to Fe3o2 rust.  If you apply naval jelly it removes the oxygen from the iron and returns it to the iron fe+ state.
 View Profile Link to this post
GernBlanston
GernBlanston

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2005, 7:10pm

Just wondering if you posted a "repairning an abused La San Marco" website anywhere.  I have a La San Marco that I would like to refurbish.  I have some idea how to go about it.  Also I am wondering if you got a 85-16m-2 repair manual from anyone.  Thanks.

Mark Anderson
lawrencetar

Espresso: 2 La san Marco 2 group 85...
Grinder: La San Marco and a Dosimeter
Posted Thu Dec 1, 2005, 1:02am

Just wondering if you posted a "repairning an abused La San Marco" website anywhere.

That's next on my list when I build my friend's new web server, searching coffee geek is somewhat painful and rarely yields the results I'm searching for, a better search algorithm perhaps?...... I wish I could get my hands on a manual!! I would like to know all the torque specs on all the little nuts and bolts. I've moved and have been working on a house for the last 6 months, I just dug out the 85 to get it finished. I have gotten it all back together, I've fired it up and adjusted the little steam leaks on the things I thought were 'tight enough'. I adjusted the steam wands, (I turned those nuts in till steam came out then backed off till they stopped), I've also adjusted the group head down spouts.  Michealo has been a good source of info for me. But I still don't know how the solenoid works, and what's the difference between the Parker and Lucifer, and how to spot a bad pump. Does anyone know if the water going into the pump can be pressurized? Or does water to the pump have to come from a jug. I ask this because I've hooked up  the pump to a tap but the boiler keeps filling, I filled up a large jug and have had the pump draw water from it, but when I let a shot run via the jug method the boiler once again fills up to much, and after a while of the machine being on water backflushed out the fresh water inlet, is this a pump adjustment I need to make or one on the machine itself? or a bad pump?
lawrencetar

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2005, 1:43am

Could you please explain the process if you would have used POR-15.   Would you have still applied PPG DX 520 beforehand?

Sorry it took so long for me to get back I've change my email to an account I will actually be checking, and it will be permanent, I just got a gmail account. I would have done everything the same and lastly applied the POR-15. If I would have had a bottle of POR-15 I wouldn't have been as diligent at getting every little nook and cranny wire brushed and navel jellied, and just gone straight to the application of it. I just used what I had available. The PPG stuff I had from painting a motorcycle all it is is a metal etcher and conditioner(helps the paint stick), but at that time I had access to a sandblaster, a compressor and a paint gun. This time I wanted to get rid of all the rust I could given the little amount of tools and products at my disposal.
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 2:30pm

Turn out I had a really bad autofill solenoid valve. I did salvage a used plunger, but I guess you're not supposed to be able blow air through it when there is no juice to it!!

lawrencetar: marcocg.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 2:40pm

Oh, and to answer my own question I asked in the forum, the pump needs to be plumbed in. I had no clue as my solenoid valve was bad, I assumed that since the boiler kept filling that the pump needed to draw the water into it rather than having the pressure come from the city water supply. I can't plug Michaelo enough! The tech I've been dealing with has been great! He wrote me up an entire step by step diagnostic chart for my problem. I'll post it if anyone is interested..He also lent me a inline pressure tester since my 'pompa' pressure gauge doesn't work so I could adjust the pump to 9 bar.

lawrencetar: marcocg2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 2:49pm

Just a few adjustments left!!!!!!!!!! I gotta get that grind/tamp down, and the exhaust outlet tubes adjusted right. A lot less scary than the pictures in my first few posts.

lawrencetar: marcocg3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 2:52pm

Side shot of the repainted side panels.

lawrencetar: marcocg4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 11:33am

lawrencetar Said:

He wrote me up an entire step by step diagnostic chart for my problem. I'll post it if anyone is interested...

Posted December 7, 2005 link

Please do....I have a single group on the bench. Right now there seems to be only minor problems but this information would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan Brewer
the_laminator
the_laminator

Espresso: 1987 Olympia Cremina after...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Braodway Cafe, KC MO
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 11:46am

WOW, looks gorgeous with the stainless steel parts all brushed! I like it without the stripes.

http://retouchMOJO.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.409889936447)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+