Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Mazzer Mini Left Running!!!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mazzer Mini Left...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
newman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos
Drip: Krups
Posted Tue Sep 9, 2003, 3:36pm
Subject: Mazzer Mini Left Running!!!

Greetings!

This evening when I came home from work I discovered that somehow my Mazzer Mini was switched on and left running. I'm certain it was not running when I left home and there was only about 10 grams of beans in the hopper. I'm tentatively blaming the cats.

Anyway, it was quite hot but otherwise doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. Is there anything I should look for in the way of non-obvious damage? Has anyone else had their Mini "magically" come on (someone without cats)?

/Andy
 View Profile Link to this post
jeru

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Posted Tue Sep 9, 2003, 4:35pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Left Running!!!

clearly one of your cats was in sore need of a little afternoon pick-me-up, and was trying to self-actualize on his/her needs :)

sorry, though - my cats haven't figured that one out. yet.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
flydhest
flydhest

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Sep 9, 2003, 7:28pm

darn you, Newman.  You just made me run down two flights of steps to the kitchen to check my grinder.  It's off . . . still.
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 7:15am

It happened to me when I just got mine...It runs so very very quiet......
ljguitar
ljguitar

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 8:26am

spnakr007 Said:

It happened to me when I just got mine...It runs so very very quiet......

Posted September 10, 2003 link

I don't know how to counteract espresso craving cats and their mid-day switching on of Mazzers, but being a fanatic about digging grounds out of the chute before dosing my shot, it would sure take care of leaving a grinder running (it would eat the end off my chopstick...the one I use to dig the grounds out of the chute).

Our current Mazzer has a timer, so I can't leave it running forever.

Making espresso with a ritual...and grinding is part of my ritual...has prevented me from leaving grinders on forever. Just getting into the swing of the ritual means I remember if I missed a step...like flipping the switch off. I also refuse to build espresso in a hurry.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
bobdenver1961

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silva
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Rocky
Vac Pot: Silex, Farberware, Cory, GE,...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 7:35pm

This is the reason that Chris at Chris Coffee told me that Mazzer discontinued the On/Off Switch Mini and went to a timer. He said that the Mazzer people didn't want any liability concerns from people leaving their grinders on all day and having the house burn down.

I just ordered one a couple of days ago and can't wait to hear how quiet it actually is!!!
Bob
flydhest
flydhest

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 7:41pm

Out of curiosity, is there any extra wear-and-tear to turning the timer switch back-and-forth like an on-off switch (wow, lots of hyphens)?

I don't use the timer as a timer, I put it on for the amount of time I need to grind the beans for the shot I'm about to pull, and then turn it off.  At times, I think I should have had a switch but then my wife, whom I love dearly, got me the grinder as a surprise, so I didn't choose.

Thoughts?  Anyone wear out their timer knob?
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 7:57pm

flydhest Said:

Out of curiosity, is there any extra wear-and-tear to turning the timer switch back-and-forth like an on-off switch (wow, lots of hyphens)?

The Mazzer Jolly we have has seen some years of use, and the timer switch is just fine. We just crank it on till the beans are done and turn it off manually. Never felt the need to try to hit the right timing.

If you wear the switch out, you can replace it. A good thing about Mazzers...parts are available.

Been practicing up for old age by reaching around the side of the Super Jolly without looking to learn the braille method of espresso grinding & now I can find the timer switch in the dark...tried it with the Expobar too, but dang that PF group is hot!

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 8:00pm

We have a Mazzer Jolly here at work. I have found it left on.  The motor houseing was toasty warm but it still works fine.

Phil

newman Said:

Greetings!

This evening when I came home from work I discovered that somehow my Mazzer Mini was switched on and left running. I'm certain it was not running when I left home and there was only about 10 grams of beans in the hopper. I'm tentatively blaming the cats.

Anyway, it was quite hot but otherwise doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. Is there anything I should look for in the way of non-obvious damage? Has anyone else had their Mini "magically" come on (someone without cats)?

/Andy

Posted September 9, 2003 link

Philip J. Keleshian
ljguitar
ljguitar

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2003, 8:15pm

PJK Said:

We have a Mazzer Jolly here at work. I have found it left on.  The motor houseing was toasty warm but it still works fine.

Hi Phil...no timer, eh?

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mazzer Mini Left...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420376062393)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+