Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pretty new toys from Fiorenzato
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pretty new toys...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 5:39am
Subject: Re: Pretty new toys from Fiorenzato

Kristi Said:

Columbina has a couple of extras: automatic water refill of the internal boiler, and Multi-directional wand used for both hot water and steam.

Posted February 23, 2006 link

Do I then correctly understand your answer to be: "No"?

Len

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
 View Profile Link to this post
eastpresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario Skelton
Vac Pot: no
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: no
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 6:54am

The  product description says the Columbina is a single boiler machine and steaming is activated by a separate switch (like on the Silvia). To answer your question - no, it is not an HX.
mrego

Espresso: Strarbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Roaster: FreshRoast+
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 1:06pm

PietroR Said:

still has that horrible 2 piece frame design guaranteed to arrive bent and in need of body work.

Posted February 23, 2006 link

I'm not sure I understand the "2 piece" frame design.  I would appreciate if you could educate me a little more on that.

Thanks,

Mario
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 1:45pm

eastpresso Said:

The  product description says the Columbina is a single boiler machine and steaming is activated by a separate switch (like on the Silvia). To answer your question - no, it is not an HX.

Posted February 24, 2006 link

Then, why would one want this machine at its $800 sale price? You could have a Expobar HX or Bezzera HX machine for less $ and both have an HX. I can't comment for Bazzera but the Expobar does have an E61 GH. It also auto-fills the boiler and has a seperate water nozzle.

Len

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 1:54pm

Worldman Said:

Then, why would one want this machine at its $800 sale price? You could have a Expobar HX or Bezzera HX machine for less $ and both have an HX. I can't comment for Bazzera but the Expobar does have an E61 GH. It also auto-fills the boiler and has a seperate water nozzle.

For a cappuccino lover, this would not make sense. But for an espresso lover, temp management should be simpler on a single boiler machine than an HX. Think of it as a better Silvia.

Auto boiler refill? BFD. Hard to believe this is a selling point.
Reighlok
Reighlok
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 2:02pm

So.... It has a e61 and a pressure gauge and costs 300-400 dollars more than a silvia. I think I'd rather have a PIDed silvia at that price, if I had my pick.
Or a PIDed Columbina still at $800....

edit:
I forgot the auto refill boiler. My silvia auto fills its boiler every time I make espresso or turn on the pump at all.. Since I never, ever, froth milk more than once between shots, what good is a auto refill boiler? I understand on a dual boiler or a HX, just not on a single dual purpose boiler on a espresso machine.
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 4:16pm

mrego Said:

I'm not sure I understand the "2 piece" frame design.  I would appreciate if you could educate me a little more on that.

Thanks,

Mario

The Bricoletta frame is basically two metal "boxes" bolted together.  The drip tray area is one "box", and the boiler, brains etc. sits on top of another formed box area.  These two pieces are bolted together where the front face of the machine is.  My Bricoletta has a slight twist to it that I have never bother to fix as it is very slight, but it most likley occurred from shipping it without suitable support (I bought it privately).

I have never seen the compaint/concern before in reference to the Bric, but it is funny I have the same "issue" that has appeared - must be a bit more common than perhaps I thought.  I was thinking it was just mine from bad packing.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 4:23pm

Reighlok Said:

I forgot the auto refill boiler. My silvia auto fills its boiler every time I make espresso or turn on the pump at all.. Since I never, ever, froth milk more than once between shots, what good is a auto refill boiler? I understand on a dual boiler or a HX, just not on a single dual purpose boiler on a espresso machine.

Only thing I can think of is that it would protect your machine from an internal leak or a dripping steam wand etc.  As the water slowly leaked from the boiler, the machine would keep the boiler filled so it would not fry the element.  I think this is a real feature that allows a machine to be left on 24/7, but like you have stated, it is more important in other machine design, and more like insurance perhaps in this case...plus it let's them share parts with the other machines....cheaper than having two different boiler designs maybe?  Plus they can market it and charge more!

G

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
Reighlok
Reighlok
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 4:38pm

GrantT Said:

Only thing I can think of is that it would protect your machine from an internal leak or a dripping steam wand etc.  As the water slowly leaked from the boiler, the machine would keep the boiler filled so it would not fry the element.  I think this is a real feature that allows a machine to be left on 24/7, but like you have stated, it is more important in other machine design, and more like insurance perhaps in this case...plus it let's them share parts with the other machines....cheaper than having two different boiler designs maybe?  Plus they can market it and charge more!

G

However it does not have a plumbed drip tray.... so if you did leave the steam wand open it would flood your kitchen with the full contents of its 3 liter water reservoir + the .75 litter boiler. Only after it flooded your kitchen would it then fry the element....

I am still thinking that it is not better with the auto refill.

Maybe it is a flaw that they are trying to sell as a feature to save money by only using one type of boiler design, like you suggested.
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 1:51pm

Reighlok Said:

However it does not have a plumbed drip tray.... so if you did leave the steam wand open it would flood your kitchen with the full contents of its 3 liter water reservoir + the .75 litter boiler. Only after it flooded your kitchen would it then fry the element....

I am still thinking that it is not better with the auto refill.

Maybe it is a flaw that they are trying to sell as a feature to save money by only using one type of boiler design, like you suggested.

quoting my answer to your same question on HB - just to keep the threads in sync a little"

"LOL - I didn't realize the need either. other evening I came out and noticed boiler at pid 222F and head at 36C *normally it's up at 97C or so) - the water level was below the E61 boiler outflow, and I had, I think, only left it on for 3 or 4 hours. So the reason is a very simple protection from burning out the element if for some unexpected reason the water level gets too low. I am not perfect and heaters are expensive. - That is the main prob with the Eliane, and Isomacs - it is possible for the water level to get too low"

I regularly get up, turn Eliane on, turn pump on and open steam knob to check for air space, run till water comes out, and shut off pump and shut off knob.  I then pull a tad of water through the group just to be sure there's no air in the pipes.  Then I go take a shower and when I'm done 1/2 hr later, boiler is at target and group is at 96.7 and I can pull a great shot with no fuss.

The main "prob" with these machines is that they cannot be left on 24/7 because the temp slowly turns all the water to steam and the heater frys.

The mod I am thinking of involves one or 2 of these
http://www.espressoparts.com/product/V_375

and some logic to isolate the pump to turn on at low level and turn off at high level.  This is still very much at the thinking level and may simply result in my targeting a Bric Volante as a well-built HX.  But I have just gotten Eliane and she has not yet taught me all her secrets, but she easily gives me a dreamy cup because of the STABILITY of the non-HX E61.  This makes me think the Columbina would be a good choice for someone who just doesn't want to deal with the water dance. AND wants a machine they can leave on!!!

To some extent, I think the urge to sell an immediate jump of newbies to an HX machine is a bit of "misery likes company"!!!  A far better jump might be to the Columbina for a while, and then to a real 2 boiler machine, leaving HXs to those with flashdance in their blood!

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pretty new toys...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.558212995529)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+