Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cleaning up after Mazzer Mini
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning up...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 7:01am
Subject: Re: Cleaning up after Mazzer Mini

galaxy300 Said:

---  the Mazzer is a commercial grinder - the doser chamber is hard to clean up after grinding (especially for someone like me who does one or two shots at a time), and my counter is a mess.  I'm not worried about the counter as much, but I would like to find a solution for keeping my doser clean.

Posted October 13, 2003 link

Hi Dalton...
Our grinder is a Mazzer Super Jolly, and the messes described sound like the messes here (SJ is big brother to the Mini)

Our grinding average is 5 or 6 doubles per day and probably an extra 10 a week for guests, meetings etc. For a while the mess got a bit overwhelming, so it was time to develop a grinder ritual.

What goes on at our house...
Outside of putting the same velcro extenders on the bottom of the sweep arms that we put on our Rocky, a small saucer (espresso cup saucer actually) sits under the PF forks.

Since the small plate is cleaned after every session, it is ok to recycle any grounds that land there during a session. Getting better at knowing at which pull of the grinder the grounds start 'flinging' left instead of drifting right...and with the lid off the doser, learning when the big glob of grounds will land so the PF is moved a bit more to the left of center to catch most grounds without them falling on the plate or counter.

Shark! Shark!
Our Shark vacuum is used daily on the grinder, doser and area. Grounds plug the filter something fierce if they get the least bit damp - and a Shark vacuum doesn't know that it is not a wet/dry vac and will suck up droplets from counters, thereby sealing all dust particles to the filter where they will dry like cement!

But I digress...every day a thorough vacuum even down in the doser cavities of the Mazzer and the top feed area (oh yeah...our hopper lives in the cupboard and a Reg Barber knockoff sits on the beans in the mouth of the feed ring while we grind), and the counter around the unit.
  • Espresso grounds are something like the rice was that guests threw at our wedding -  we kept finding it for 2 weeks after the honeymoon and didn't know how it had migrated to where it was discovered.

After the drastic mods to our Rocky, we are trying to use this one as stock as possible (did get rid of that chute protector in the doser within 5 minutes of ownership)...and the brain has been mulling a simple extender to one side of the bottom dispenser hole to keep the grounds from being flung so far off center.

Larry's rules for mods; A)-must be simple, B)-must be durable, C)-must be reversible.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
 View Profile Link to this post
dalton
dalton

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 7:51am

ljguitar Said:

Shark! Shark!
Our Shark vacuum is used daily on the grinder, doser and area.

I have been thinking about getting one of these little vacuums, but haven't decided if I really want to spend the money.  And besides, my kitchen is already so cramped, one more addition - even a very small one - and I wonder if I'll have anywhere to put it.  Once I find a room for all of my recording equipment, then I can move my computer, then I can put the espresso setup on the bartop table where it belongs, and then I can start thinking about getting another small home appliance.  ; )

ljguitar Said:

(oh yeah...our hopper lives in the cupboard and a Reg Barber knockoff sits on the beans in the mouth of the feed ring while we grind)

Mine too!

ljguitar Said:

Larry's rules for mods; A)-must be simple, B)-must be durable, C)-must be reversible.

Agreed.  I think Rob's solution might work best for me, so I'm going to give it a try.  It's one of those things that's so brilliantly simple, it's really easy to overlook.  And here I was thinking I'd need to take off my doser!

HB

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 6:42pm

galaxy300 Said:

I think I may have seen mention of Andy's mod, but I was never able to find more information.

Posted October 13, 2003 link

Well, sounds like you may not need it but just in case, here's your shopping list:

1. PVC to NPT adapter (2" inner diameter)
  2. 2" flat washer
  3. 8mm nut
  4. 2" hole cover (for desks / countertops)
  5. 7oz kid's cup

And not shown below:

• 1" brush w/wooden handle
  • 1" angle bracket w/small machine screw
  • Sticky-back velcro or ordinary electrical tape

Total cost is around $4 and I bought everything (except the kid's cup) at Ace Hardware.  It's a lot easier to find stuff there than Home Depot when you need a bunch of onesy-twosy items like this.  I chose the washer and hole cover setup for when I want to switch from single shot to multiple shots.  Just remove the cup and grind 3-4 shots, i.e., it pretty much works like before.

(cont'd)

HB: mazzer_parts.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 6:47pm

And here's the brush assembly, same as Andy's.  I found it was a tight fit with a 1" brush, but I didn't see any 3/4" brushes (1/2" is too small).  It's at a slight angle to compensate.  This picture shows the doser without the adjustable sweep vane in place.  I folded over strips of electrical tape halfway lengthwise and attached them to every other vane, extending them about 1/8" inch.

(cont'd)

HB: mazzer_brush.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
HB

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 6:51pm

Now the PVC adapter piece, washer, 8mm nut, and cover are in place.  Since there is a small raised bevel on the top of the sweep vane, I had to trim a little from the inner edge of the hole in the PVC adapter with a utility knife.  With the washer and nut in place, it sits nicely on-center and doesn't budge.

NB: I would have reused the stock nut, but it was too tall to allow the 2" hole cover to fit.

(cont'd)

HB: mazzer_assembled.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
HB

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 6:53pm

The finished modification.  A few grounds might stick to the cup so I remove it and toss it in the dishwasher once a week, then choose another.  This also give me the chance to pick a color based on my mood.  :-)

-- Dan

PS: Also see "Re: Ok, I have my Mini doser apart, now what do I do?" for a close-up picture of how to improve the vane sweep efficiency.

HB: mazzer_finished.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
ljguitar
ljguitar

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Oct 15, 2003, 7:14pm

galaxy300 Said:

--- I have been thinking about getting one of these little vacuums, but haven't decided if I really want to spend the money.  And besides, my kitchen is already so cramped, one more addition - even a very small one - and I wonder if I'll have anywhere to put it.  
--- Once I find a room for all of my recording equipment, then I can move my computer, then I can put the espresso setup on the bartop table where it belongs, and then I can start thinking about getting another small home appliance.

Posted October 15, 2003 link

Hi Dalton...
Boy...choices...recording equipment or espresso cleaning aids. Actually, the shark fits in very tiny space in our hall closet at the ready. We just toss it in the rag basket (after taking the long extension off).

Off topic...everyone else disregard...
I have a small production studio in the basement. What kind of recording equipment do you have and what kind of recording are you doing?

(feel free to e-mail me at LarryGetsHisMail'at'bresnan.net)

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
Toto
Toto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior DT/1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:20am

dan_kehn Said:

Well, sounds like you may not need it but just in case, here's your shopping list...

hey Dan, thanks for posting this part list. i've been planning to do this mod for some time now but hadnt figured out exactly what i needed. one question on this mod, do you have difficulties cleanning out the "plug" (i.e., the grinds that are left in the chute)? toto
dalton
dalton

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:58am

Toto Said:

hey Dan, thanks for posting this part list. i've been planning to do this mod for some time now but hadnt figured out exactly what i needed.

Posted October 16, 2003 link

Yep -- thanks very much, Dan.  This information is incredibly helpful.  I'll definitely archive this one away in case I need it in the future.

rbh1515 Said:

The 1/3 cup is a measuring cup that is wide (about 54mm wide) and shallow. It has a long handle and is very easily placed into the doser of the MM. Should I post a picture. Rob

By the way, Rob -- if you still have a picture available of your setup, I'd love to see it.  I tried with a couple of the measuring cups I have and couldn't quite get them to fit.  I think I'm going to have to take out at least some of my doser mechanism to fit something in there.

Thanks to everyone who posted for this really informative thread.  

Dalton

HB

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2003, 11:45am

Toto Said:

one question on this mod, do you have difficulties cleanning out the "plug" (i.e., the grinds that are left in the chute)? toto

Posted October 16, 2003 link

No, I use a metal-handled short brush ("acid brush") that I bought at Home Depot for less than $2 a half-dozen.  Brush out the first part of the "plug" then turn on the grinder for a second to eject the remainder.  If you're feeling extra finicky, brush the chute a second time.  Start to finish, about 20 seconds (obviously I've removed the finger guard).

-- Dan

HB: acid_brush.jpg

www.home-barista.com
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning up...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.492529153824)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+