Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Boiler Pressure in HX Machines: Mini FAQ
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Boiler Pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2002, 3:12pm
Subject: Boiler Pressure in HX Machines: Mini FAQ

Ok, you can adjust the boiler pressure on your new HX machine to control brewing temperature. But where to adjust it to?

First off, a few facts.

1. The guage shows "guage pressure" that is the pressure above the air's. At sea level, a guage reading of 1 bar is 2 bar boiler pressure.

2. The innards of the boiler are at "saturated steam" temperature for that pressure, that is, the boiling point for that pressure level. At 1 bar, this is 100C, the normal boiling point of water. The table below gives values for espresso boiler pressures.

3. The Heat exchanger draws water from the mains or tank and runs it through the boiler where it heats up. If the pump isn't running, it heats up to whatever the boiler is at. If the pump is running at espresso making flow rates, it heats up to a lower temperature, hopefully the right one for espresso. There is a sort of design standard out there for espresso machine heat exchangers that most manufacturers follow. The table gives the brewing temperatures implied by that standard.

Here's the table:

Boiler Pressure  Boiler Temp       HX & Espresso Temp
  0.84 bar       117.5C  244F      88C-90C  190F-194F
  1.00 bar       120.0C  248F      90C-92C  194F-198F
  1.17 bar       122.5C  253F      92C-94C  198F-201F
  1.33 bar       125.0C  257F      94C-96C  201F-205F

Remember, even if your machine is designed to this standard, there may be variations. Afaik, this table is roughly right for the E61 tribe, and the Livia. NS plays by it's own rules, so I don't know about the Oscar.

The tradition is to use higher temperatures in this range for lighter roasted bright blends, and lower settings for dark roasted mellow blends. In any case, for a given blend, higher brew temperatures = less brightness, lower temperatures = more brightness. But temperatures outside this range will mess up the extraction, so avoid them.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Duncan

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pavoni, Techno, La Cimbali...
Grinder: Cunill, Rossi RR45, Mazzer...
Vac Pot: No
Drip: No
Roaster: Withams Coffee
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2002, 7:07pm
Subject: Re: Boiler Pressure in HX Machines: Mini FAQ

Nice little bit of summary information, thanks.  Can you tell me where some of these defactos standards can be located.  I would be interested to read more about the matter.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2002, 7:46pm
Subject: Re: Boiler Pressure in HX Machines: Mini FAQ

Duncan Said:

Nice little bit of summary information, thanks.  Can you tell me where some of these defactos standards can be located.  I would be interested to read more about the matter.

Posted September 13, 2002 link

The boiler temperature versus pressure comes from steam tables, my entries are approximate. The equivalent HX temperature comes from a variety of sources, mostly alt.coffee, but also from manufacturers sites that carry machine set-up instruction pages.

But oops! I  stripped the link and metadata from the pages I copied, so I can't give you the web sources. I'll edit the original post adding sources, and make a note of it, as soon as I've tracked them down.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Boiler Pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278757095337)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+