Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine Spotting in the Movies
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine Spotting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Shred109

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2003, 8:49pm
Subject: Re: Machine Spotting in the Movies

Excellent!
Good luck with your new blend,and have a great time on your upcoming trip
Best Regards,
           Shred
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2003, 8:51pm

yann Said:

Actually, just another thing really... these look like illy collection or illy espresso cups to me. Since I don't know the collections, I am only assuming.

Interesting way to pour the espresso into the frothed milk though. The espresso looks quite light, and doesn't have any crema. Then again, being a newbie, I'm not altogether certain how lever machines are suppose to work either, and what the outcomes (in terms of espresso) are like.

Posted December 28, 2002 link

I'm such a geek I can not only tell you the machine used (La Pavoni Euripocolla) but also the series that Illy cup is from. I am pretty sure it is the first cup pictured below, from the Illy PS1 series. This has become a bit more of a collector's item than intended: one cup in the site features a photo collage of the NYC skyline, which has the WTC pictured in the distance.

MarkPrince: exp_ps1_big.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
javachik
javachik
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Thermal Press
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:12pm

Dang it, dtklamf, you took mine!

OK, I don't have any vidcaps, but I spotted a rather nice machine in Keeping the Faith in the scene where they open their multi-faith coffeehouse (don't remember if it was a 2 or 3 group, but it was definitely a commerical machine).  If anyone has this movie, perhaps they can shed some light on the kind of machine it was.

~Kari
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2003, 7:39pm

This may be slightly off topic since it's not an espresso machine but I spotted a glass vac pot in Sunset Blvd.  It was a scene where John Gillis and Betty Schaefer were working on a script.  She put it on some sort of heat source and poured coffee and water in the top.

The movie was made in 1950 so I guess this is back in the day when non geeks used vac pots.

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
Yann
Yann
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Mazzer Kony-E
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:46pm

Hmm, back to the spotting again :) Was watching Swordfish and happened to see a behind the counter shot, so thought I would make a grab.  I don't really have too much idea about commercial machines, so it's up to someone else to say what this is :)

yann :)

Yann: PDVD_000.jpg
(Click for larger image)
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2003, 1:22am

yann Said:

Hmm, back to the spotting again :) Was watching Swordfish and happened to see a behind the counter shot, so thought I would make a grab.  I don't really have too much idea about commercial machines, so it's up to someone else to say what this is :)

yann :)

Posted March 13, 2003 link

Looks like a Cimbali.... check this out:

La Cimbali Dosatron

The linked one is red, but it's definitely a La Cimbali in that movie still - the knobs on the bottom in front of the drip tray is usually a Cimbali trait.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
hachcafe
hachcafe
Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Rancilio MD40, Rocky DL
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2003, 7:07am

yann Said:

Interesting way to pour the espresso into the frothed milk though. The espresso looks quite light, and doesn't have any crema.

Posted December 28, 2002 link

Well, in movies, where scenes take hours to film an action that takes a few seconds on screen, there are all kinds of food stand-ins that look right for the fleeting view, but aren't the real material.

For example, whenever you see people eating ice cream in a film it's almost always colored mashed potatoes.

So, I would imagine the "espresso" being poured in the Hugh Grant scene might actually be - gasp - tea or any other kind of brown water, and the milk might be some other kind of frothed looking liquid that would stand up to sitting for multiple takes and match each time.

The chance of them actually making espresso on the set to use in the scene is probably nil.
KenL

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Chemex 6 Cup
Roaster: soon!
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:08am

There's a great German movie called "Mostly Martha" (Bella Marta), available with English subtitles.  Great movie if you love food and cooking (blows away "Tortilla Soup")

Anyway, Martha has what looks like a La Pavoni Professional in her kitchen at home.
proton
proton
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2003, 12:57pm

CoffeeKid Said:

Looks like a Cimbali.... check this out:

La Cimbali Dosatron

The linked one is red, but it's definitely a La Cimbali in that movie still - the knobs on the bottom in front of the drip tray is usually a Cimbali trait.

Mark

Posted March 14, 2003 link

Gotta love that "enlarged" pic of the Cimbali. On topic, there's a Francis X5 in the show "Will & Grace" heh
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2003, 10:17pm

CoffeeKid Said:

Hey, let's see if others can come up with stills of machines in movies... :)
So anyone else got some vidcaps?

Posted September 14, 2002 link

How about on TV shows?

Have no screen cap yet...
On My Big Greek Family, in the family resturant there is an amazing looking machine in the center behind the counter. Is it coffee, or is it art?

L a r r y \o/ J

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine Spotting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458487987518)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+