Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID a Gaggia Espresso
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID a Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bman40

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky Doser
Vac Pot: na
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Poppery I / Stir Crazy
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 8:42am
Subject: PID a Gaggia Espresso

I hve had my ebay Gaggia Espresso since last July, and am really pleased with the machine.

I was thinking about a Silvia, but can't afford it right now (ah the joys of raising kids....KA-chingg!!!).  :)

In the interest of improving what I do have, I was wondering if it's possible to PID a Gaggia Espresso??

My idea is to try and deal with temperature issues on the Gaggia, and improve the quality of the shots (which are pretty good now...I must say). In a year or two when I have saved my allowance money, and get a new paper route, I am thinking of a Silvia.  I would then install the PID on the Silvia.

Any comments? is this worth the money?? the time?? will it help?

Barry
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 8:56am
Subject: Re: PID a Gaggia Espresso

I'm interested in possibly doing this for my Espresso too.  I know it's possible and that people here have done it.  I'd like to see some detailed instructions.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
mybs

Espresso: QuickMill Anita
Grinder: Macap M4, La Cimbali Jr.
Drip: KitchenAid, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: FreshRoast+8, SC/CO
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 9:29am

bman40 Said:

I hve had my ebay Gaggia Espresso since last July, and am really pleased with the machine.

I was thinking about a Silvia, but can't afford it right now (ah the joys of raising kids....KA-chingg!!!).  :)

In the interest of improving what I do have, I was wondering if it's possible to PID a Gaggia Espresso??

My idea is to try and deal with temperature issues on the Gaggia, and improve the quality of the shots (which are pretty good now...I must say). In a year or two when I have saved my allowance money, and get a new paper route, I am thinking of a Silvia.  I would then install the PID on the Silvia.

Any comments? is this worth the money?? the time?? will it help?

Barry

Posted April 27, 2006 link

If you're making milk-based drinks, you're likely to see much more benefits (temperature stability/steaming performance) going from the Gaggia to a HX machine.  Means saving a couple hundred more, but in the end you're likely to be more satisfied with the upgrade.  At the lower end of HX machines presently, the Bezzera and Expobar Pulsar go for $750 and $800, respectively.

Don't get me wrong, the Silvia is a great machine but thought you might want to consider the extra step up to avoid upgrade fever at a later date.  This is especially true since you're already considering a PID for the Sylvia.  I just upgraded from a Gaggia to a HX and it was well worth it.  The difference between a HX and single boiler is phenomenal.

As far as PID'ing a Gaggia, there are several posts on the topic from people who have done it in the past.  Can use the search function to look them up or if they're still around, I'll leave it up to them to answer.
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 7:18pm

The solid-state relay (SSR) needs to be attached to a heat sink.  For metal machines, like the Classic and Silvia, one can attach the SSR to a cool section of the metal case.  Since the Gaggia Espresso has a plastic case, you will have add a heat sink to your parts list.  For proper cooling the heat sink should be outside the case.    Hint, higher amperage SSRs are easier to cool and I wouldn't use anything less than a 25 amp SSR.  

The SSR datasheet may give you an idea about the minimum size of the heat sink.  I used a simpler method. Attached the SSR to my Classic's metal case and carefully monitored the SSR temperature.  Since the SSR temperature was well within design specs, I kinew the case was disappating enough heat.

Wesley
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:56pm

I've seen all the current derating curves and have always been careful to provide a nice path for the supposed heat from the base of the SSR (including thermal grease).

Then I did a funny thing:  I did a PID install and temporarily left both the controller and the SSR sitting on the counter top with wires running back into Silvia.  Left it running for hours and hours.  Periodically, I checked the SSR by picking it up, touching the top and base.  The thing never, ever got above room temperature.  The controller generated much more heat than the SSR - it at least made a little warm spot on the counter.

I will probably quit worrying so much about heat sinking in the future.

FWIW.

-- JGG
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Fri Apr 28, 2006, 4:27am

JGG,

Doesn't Silvia only have a 800 watt boiler compared with the 1400 watt Gaggia?  Assuming the heating of the SSR is I*I/R, then the peak heating of the SSR will be 1400^2/800^2 (~3) times greater for the Gaggia.

The heat generated by the SSR is proportional to the % of heater-on time.  That is low while the machine is idling.  It would be higher when the machine is heating up from room temperature or you are making drinks for a party.  However, I would agree with you that the SSR datasheets are conservative as they assume a higher duty cycle and for low duty cycles, the internal heat sink may suffice.

As for trying to run the SSR without an external heatsink on a higher wattage Gaggia, YMMV.

Wesley
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Apr 28, 2006, 4:56am

Wesley -

I believe you are correct about the Silvia's wattage - I estimate it draws a little less than 8A.  Perhaps the SSR would show some heat problems if the boiler drew that 8A on a 24/7 basis.  But it only draws peak current for a few minutes on initial heating, then just a very small average current while on idle.  After pulling a shot, it runs at 100% again for an even shorter time than initial warmup.

Moral of the story = not enough "t" in "t * I^2" to amount to much heat coming from SSR (on Silvia).

If you triple the I^2 term (1400W Gaggia), and also have some "t", then a SSR for a Gaggia could get much warmer.  That is the sort of thing I would want to know before mounting the SSR to plastic (ouch)!

Maybe someone will repeat my countertop experiment and tell us.

-- JGG
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TomP10
TomP10

Espresso: LaSpaz S1
Grinder: mini E-B; Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama; balance brewer
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 28, 2006, 6:37am

The advantages of Silvia relative to the Gaggia Espresso are probably not worth the extra money --- so don't regret not having the money.  If you didn't have *any* machine, I could easily see opting for Silvia over the Gaggia, but given that you already have the Gaggia, starting thinking about an HX if you are going to upgrade.  Let me second the earlier recommendation that you would be better off saving for an HX machine, especially if you like milk-based drinks.  

My suggestion would be to set aside the money required to PID in you sock drawer.  Five bucks here, ten bucks there... soon you will have an HX machine.

- Tom

---------------------------------------------
Three Musketeers?? Nah... Four M's.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID a Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375067949295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+