Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Removing Sylvia's PF gasket without damage?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Removing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sun Jun 11, 2006, 3:09pm
Subject: Removing Sylvia's PF gasket without damage?

Has anyone figured out how this is done?  I just replaced the old one (which came out in five or six pieces, I know that method) and I stuck it in upside-down. I know, I know.  I just figured I'd order another one, but I get a LOT of water around the PF and I still want to have espresso while it ships.
Preference is given to methods with empirical results over those with only theoretical implications.  Please let me know which yours is.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
 View Profile Link to this post
BBaker90
BBaker90

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky DL
Drip: FP
Posted Sun Jun 11, 2006, 3:29pm
Subject: Re: Removing Sylvia's PF gasket without damage?

I have the same question... i want to remove mine to thuroughly clean the group... but i dont want to order a new gasket

Brent
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Sun Jun 11, 2006, 5:25pm

Try a short (1 1/4") drywall screw, the black ones with the really sharp points, and a stubby philips head screwdriver.  Get the screw started a bit into the gasket, then "just" pull out the gasket.  Since you are going to be turning the gasket over, you might actually be able to salvage it.

Good luck.

-- JGG
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:09am

JGG Said:

Try a short (1 1/4") drywall screw, the black ones with the really sharp points, and a stubby philips head screwdriver.  Get the screw started a bit into the gasket, then "just" pull out the gasket.  

Posted June 11, 2006 link

I'm thinking that putting a drywall screw into it constitutes damage.  Great idea, but from teh post it seems like you've never tried it.  I can pull a shot now with the thing leaking a bit whiel I get a new gasket on the way (if I can't figure it out, I'm using the DWS and just putting the new one in) and I'm lookingfor a stop gap that definately will work.  I'll entertain ideas, I guess, but I need something that someone has done and had work.

JGG Said:

you might actually be able to salvage it

Posted June 11, 2006 link

It's that word 'might' that bothers me...

Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 1:51am

I removed and replaced the same Silvia gasket many times.  The gaskets have 4 little notches.  Fashion a paperclip with a 2mm right angle on the end.  Slide it in a grouve and then turn it 90 deg so the bent part is now under the gasket.  Move the clip in the plane of the gasket to loosen it.

The method I use for the E61: use pf with blank insert. just barely tighten pf. turn on pump and very slowly loosen the pf.  The gasket will follow the pf out.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 3:07pm

Kristi Said:

The method I use for the E61: use pf with blank insert. just barely tighten pf. turn on pump and very slowly loosen the pf.  The gasket will follow the pf out.

Posted June 12, 2006 link

That is insane!  Just crazy enough that it just might work!
Seriously, this does work?  It makes sense, I cannot wait to try it.  OTOH, this method won't work for the Sylvia gasket?  It is brand new, it is upside down, and I'm not sure that I can find the slots upside down.
Kristi, sometimes I am amazed at your genius!
BTW, that second Mazzer is doing just fine.  I modded the first one to match it, and other than their head gear, they're the cutest set of twins!

Psyd: Grinder twins.JPG
(Click for larger image)

islandshop

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 4:00pm

If your careful it can be done but is it worth it ?... I say just tear it out and get a new one....the heat from the brew eventually cooks the rubber to the point of brittleness ....I usually repalce them  as a matter of regular service anyway. A big part of my service biz is replacement of these seals and for that matter the same goes for the commercial Rancillio machines as well....

Peace,
ICM
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Mon Jun 12, 2006, 4:29pm

Psyd Said:

Seriously, this does work?

Of course it works.  I accidentally discovered that technique when I had the Eliane, and it works fine for the Bric. No reason it shouldn't work for the Silvia, even if you've got the gasket in sideways.   :o).

Good on the twins.

The reason for pulling the gasket is to clean that area.  I tend to pull the gasket 2-3 times a year, and replace it once every year or 2.  Backflushing and doing a pf wiggle with Caffiza does not effectively clean the sides of the gasket...

Kristi, sometimes I am amazed at your genius!

Yeah, but I make up for it the rest of the time...

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2006, 1:49pm

islandshop Said:

If your careful it can be done but is it worth it ?...

Yep, I just pulled out the old one and this one is brand new, just upside down.  I'd love to get it in right side up, and not to have to wait to order a new gasket (I tend to have one on hand, but I just put that one in!) before I get to have espresso at my GF's house (I keep the Sylvia there when I'm not on the road).

Psyd
Psyd

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2006, 3:15pm

So far, cranking in the blank PF and running the pump as I untwist isnt' doing it, and the part that is suposed to be 'up' doesn't have the slots in it.  The slots don't go all the way thorugh the gasket from top to bottom. I'll try again with more light once I can turn her over on her back and get a better look.  I'm sure the second method will work as lond as I can find the slot along the way somehow.  OTOH, too much longer and the replacement will be here and I'll just tear the new one out to put the newer one in!

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Removing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.490458965302)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+