Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tre Spade Manual Burr Grinder-Anyone?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tre Spade Manual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
shipofools

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Factory
Posted Tue Jun 13, 2006, 7:12am
Subject: Tre Spade Manual Burr Grinder-Anyone?

Lika deez.

I have a Gaggia Factory (essentially a La Pavoni Professional) manual lever machine. I love the routine and result. I usually have good luck with pre ground Illy, Lavazza, Kimbo, etc....but would like to start grinding my own.

Now I'd love to get a manual burr grinder. The Zassenhaus looks pretty good-but difficult to find right now. I've also considered those brass Turkish grinders. Then I stumbled on the Tre Spade. I am familiar with their sausage fillers and meat mincers and my MIL has a tomatoe squeezer from them. My impression is that they are extremely durable and high quality.

Anyboody here own one? Any thoughts? Finally-I've had no luck at all finding a seller on the web. No response yet from Tre Spade (FACEM) either. Anyone ever run across one for sale?
 View Profile Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: Tre Spade Manual Burr Grinder-Anyone?

Welcome!

You will quickly tire of hand grinding.  Hit ebay or cg buy/sell forum for a used grinder.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
shipofools

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:58am

Thanks kristi.

I like the ritual and control that I get from my lever machine, and I don't mind the time it takes.  In fact, I enjoy taking my time with it.  So I don't think grinding a couple cups a day will set me off.

Is speed the main reason everyone uses an electric grinder?  Or are electric grinders "better" in performance and result?

I'll also confess to a desire for a more suitable heirloom piece.  A faded, scratched plastic electric grinder does nothing for me aesthetically.  A well oiled Tre Spade though-bellisima!
DavidMLewis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:14am

I have a very old one, bought decades ago. Ergonomically, it's wonderful for a hand grinder. There's a bevel gear at the top, so the drive handle runs in a vertical plane, and the latter is a heavy, and quite beautiful flywheel. That said, its burrs aren't even in the Zass's league, and its adjustment mechanism, while it won't wander, has extremely coarse steps in the region of interest. If they've fixed those deficiencies, it would be a wonderful grinder. The flywheel meant that grinding for a double wasn't hugely slower than an espresso grinder: maybe forty seconds. Let us know what you find out!

Best,
   David
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shipofools

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2006, 6:28pm

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the burrs were beautifully milled and top notch.  Damn.  The lack of fine adjustment stinks too.  

I'll keep looking.  I'm heading into Boston's North End next week-there are some funky old Italian groceries that might have something.
sbpwave

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Krups electric, Peugot...
Drip: Mellita cone; Frieling...
Roaster: Iron frying pan
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:28am

Well... I have a Peugeot (Peugeot Freres) Nostalgia hand grinder (which I like very much), and when I looked inside underneath where the drawer is: on the metal of the burr grinder it is stamped TRE SPADE Made in Italy (!). Peugot started making these types in 1840 but they are made now "in France" perportedly by a company that picked up the name from Peugeot. (using at least some TRE SPADE parts?). TRE SPADE has been making hand grinders since 1894. I don't know yet if and what is the source of who is making my Peugot in France but a lot of the parts besides the grinder burrs resemble TRE SPADE also. But I saw Models of TRE SPADE new hand grinders offered on some internet sites.) atomiccoffeemachine.com, salvetoregreco.com, fantes.com, etc. The TRE SPADEs looked some different a little and some a lot from the Peugeots. Anyways it looks like they are not from China. My grinder adjusts nicely and easily and I get a uniform grind. I only do drip thru paper and cone or gold filter. Got my Nostalgia at Amazon.com but there are numerous other sources. The pluses are it needs no electricity, it's good looking, it is quieter but not totally quiet, it has a good burr mechanism, and I personally enjoy the procedure enough that I still don't use our electric grinder much now. Minuses are takes some light turning effort and some time to grind. Good for maybe up to 3 or 4 servings but if you are grinding coffee for a party or large group it will be time consuming. Maybe a minute or two of grinding per strong portion. So for the wife and me maybe two to two and a half minutes to grind.
Is my Peugeot made by TRE SPADE? Will post if I find out.
Found some information on Peugeot but not much yet on TRE SPADE. I went to auto-pedia.fr and to peugeot.fr/histoire but it is in French. According to the site, they still make the Peugeot mills there in Quingey, Dampierre, and Viney(Isere), France but the burr inside mine says TRE SPADE.
See also trespade.it
That is tre spade's website. They show pictures of their models and some history of the company.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:42am

Kristi Said:

Welcome!

You will quickly tire of hand grinding.  Hit ebay or cg buy/sell forum for a used grinder.

Posted June 13, 2006 link

Really? Depends on your definition of "quickly," I suppose. I've been hand grinding pretty much daily for a decade or more and I'm not tired yet.

New, I'd look at the Lido 2. Used? Not as easy as it used to be, but a good long look at the Hand Grinder Jive thread over on Home-Barista is a real education in brands, capabilities, things to look for and avoid, etc. It's a long thread, so brew yourself a pot, get a comfortable chair and start reading.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tre Spade Manual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311941146851)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+