Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Problems w/ MACAP
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problems w/...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: MACAP M4/Solis Maestro
Drip: ZOJIRUSHI & Bodum FP
Roaster: FR +8
Posted Tue Jun 27, 2006, 4:41pm
Subject: Problems w/ MACAP

I am getting nothing but course grind, about the size of pea gravel(not quite but big chunks).  Any idea's what's going on? Just wasted a lot of beans but the grind all looks the same,  big chuncks...

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
chriscoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2006, 6:06pm
Subject: Re: Problems w/ MACAP

I have been trying to call you but your phone has been busy. So I sent you an email to explain to you what you need to do to find the zero point and how much to back it off after you do. If you need more help call my office in the AM. Since you are on the West cost call as early as you like my service manager, Roger is in at 7:00 AM EST that's 4:00 AM your time. You will be fine you just need some help.

Chris Nachrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dm

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2006, 6:40pm

Thanks Chris for your help. I figured that much that it was "Operator Error".  I will call in the morning, now I am off to work.

Dave
dm

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 2:29pm

Thanks Chris for your help/service... I talked to your Service Mgr. I believe he told me that his name was Jason? Anyway, you were right on the money via your email last night. I am not totally dialed in but I am awfully close. My last double shot I made  this morning was not a sinker, I did drink it. Not quite there yet but daggone close. The shot was pretty good. Right now I am awaiting on more beans. Suppose to receive some tomorrow from a local roaster.

By the way, the MACAP is truly a work of art...

Thanks again...

Dave
Shutterman

Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 2:48pm

Dave...

If you wouldn't mind, could you share with us how much Jason advised you to back off from your zero point, please?  I know the instructions say 2.5 numbers, but I think that's not right...at least not for espresso.  The reason I ask is because I'm having a devil of a time getting mine dialed in.  Of course, as I write this I've had only one evening to play with it...but it would still be nice to know what Chris Coffee recommends.

Thanks!
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 4:25pm

dm Said:

Thanks Chris for your help/service... I talked to your Service Mgr. I believe he told me that his name was Jason? Anyway, you were right on the money via your email last night. I am not totally dialed in but I am awfully close. My last double shot I made  this morning was not a sinker, I did drink it. Not quite there yet but daggone close. The shot was pretty good. Right now I am awaiting on more beans. Suppose to receive some tomorrow from a local roaster.

By the way, the MACAP is truly a work of art...

Thanks again...

Dave

Posted June 28, 2006 link

Yes, MACAPs are tops!

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
Cajun_brew
Cajun_brew

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: M4 doser----Rocky DL
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Gene
Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 5:08pm

Shutterman Said:

Dave...

If you wouldn't mind, could you share with us how much Jason advised you to back off from your zero point, please?  I know the instructions say 2.5 numbers, but I think that's not right...at least not for espresso.  The reason I ask is because I'm having a devil of a time getting mine dialed in.  Of course, as I write this I've had only one evening to play with it...but it would still be nice to know what Chris Coffee recommends.

Thanks!

On my 1 month old MACAP stepless Iím grinding at around 14 full revolutions of the worm drive from true zero (burrs touching) for a double basket using home roasted beans. Itís probably a revolution or so more for some of the pro roasted stuff Iíve been drinking.

This corresponds to about 1 Ĺ numbers on the dial from true zero....hope this helps.

Iíve only had mine for a month and am really impressed so farÖ..great grinder and the worm drive is as advertised ..... Mary at Chrisí was great helping me narrow my choices down.

I've been fairly untreated
dm

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 5:39pm

Shutterman Said:

Dave...

Thanks!

The 2.5 figure they give you is just a referance point,  a gauge.  Beans will vary and as Jason told me even grinders will vary. The problem I had is I was trying to find the true zero without removing the screw that holds on the Bell (bean storage container) to the grinder. When I would rotate the disk the disk would stop when the screw came in contact with the disk adjustment mechanism(the disk release, the tab you push down with your finger to rotate the disk). Anyway, with the removal of the screw I was able to rotate fine enough for the burrs to come in contact. Are your grinds fine almost powder like?

Dave
Shutterman

Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Jun 28, 2006, 6:28pm

Cajun_brew and dm:

Thanks very much for relaying your experinces with the grinder.  I'd already read that 2.5 numbers from zero was not a good starting point...I just didn't know how far off.  At least now I can get in the ball park without too many more wasted shots.  

And dm...I can see how it would be easy have that set screw get in the way.  In the excitement of using new gear, I too sometimes miss the simple things.

By the way, my zero point was pretty much right at zero...depending, of course, on what you choose to use as the reference point.  As reviews have mentioned, the inability to read the numbers on the dial seem to be the grinder's main drawback.  Other than that, it appears to be a top-notch machine.

Thanks again...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problems w/...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447187900543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+