Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help! Gaggia Baby stubborn showerholder
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
van
van
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 197? Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Armin Trosser, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Hario Technica
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Sun Aug 27, 2006, 10:11pm
Subject: Help! Gaggia Baby stubborn showerholder

Hi everyone,
A few months back, I went to Crate and Barrel and fell in love with a superautomatic delonghi magnifica (you press a button and you've got a capuccino, how cool is that). this led me to research the topic, which led me to coffeegeek.com, which led me to the not so impressive superautos reviews, which led me to murky coffee (had to find out what it's all about), which led me ... Anyways, today I'm the proud owner of a gaggia baby.
Which leads me to my first post on coffee geek.
See, it's a second hand gaggia baby. It looks like no other gaggias i have seen online (it might be the original gaggia baby from 1977 for all i know) The portafilter handle is made of wood, and the machine is all metal painted brown and weighs about three tons. So i started cleaning it and did a pretty good job until I got to the grouphead (?), I took out the shower screen which was about 80% clogged, and removed the two bigger screws on the showerholder, but now the showerholder won't budge. I tried a screwdiver, i tried everything, no result. I'd really like to be able to remove and replace it (that is if i can find a replacement part.) since it looks quite beaten up an the water only goes through 2 holes).
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Patrick

by the way here is a picture of the machine and a close up of the showerholder.

van: IMG_2159.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
dougl4422

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Rocky, Bodum Bistro
Posted Mon Aug 28, 2006, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Help! Gaggia Baby stubborn showerholder

Wow, did you steal that thing from a museum?  It looks pretty well used up; maybe you should have gotten one from this century.

I've worked on a few Gaggia babies but never anything that old.

This might be an opportunity to work on your mallet screwdriver combo technique.  Place a large flat-tip screwdriver against the edge of showerholder and firmly tap the handle end of the screwdriver with a mallet.
van
van

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:28am

Wow, did you steal that thing from a museum?

Haha, well it's an antique, that's for sure. If anyone could tell me more about that specific model, I would appreciate it. Everything seems to be in working condition besides that part.
I tried the mallet screwdriver technique, but i don't have a very good angle because the portafilter locking mechanism is in the way. I guess i could dismantle the whole thing, but i'm not so sure i could put it back together.
I thought a bit of TLC would be enough, but i thing this is way over my head.
here is a better pic of the machine.

van: IMG_2185.jpg
(Click for larger image)
razorsharpedge

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:30pm

Hi Patrick,
I have the same machine but in an orange color and with a bakelite portafilter handle.
From the photo of the brew head I would be tempted to do a teardown and proper descaling and cleaning. There is a good exploded diagram to be found here:

http://www.sreweb.com/diagrams/babygaggia.htm

and for the new baby, which is similar,here:

http://www.partsguru.com/NewBabyGaggia.html

The ascaso website also has good diagrams and part lists, but you will need to register with them to get into the online catalogue. its here:

www.ascaso.com

Some parts may not be available any more, others seem to be interchangeable with the new baby.
Soak parts in a citric acid based cleaner until they can be taken apart. You will need a couple of metric allen keys and wrenches for disassembly.
Take pictures and make notes to remember how things go back together.
If the task seems more than you are willing to take on, I would be interested in obtaining the machine for parts.
Best regards,
Martin
van
van

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 8:41pm

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the links. After 3 days of hard work, I was finally able to take the shower holder off. I cleaned it the best I could and it looks much better. The rest of the machine seems  to be in great condition, I'm especially impressed at the  plastic parts, you'd think they'd be worn by now. One thing that i'm confused at is that showerholder, I thought it was that way because of use, but the part that was hidden by the shower screen look as dented as the sides. I think it might have been produced that way. I have no experience with espresso machines, but is that normal (is yours like that too?) also I thought that piece was supposed to be Brass but it's not obviously (is that aluminum?)
Let see if I can prepare some espresso soon.

van: IMG_2199.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dougl4422

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 9:05pm

wow, that looks badly pitted, the previous owner (owners?) have had a lot of aluminum with thier espresso.

I've worked on 8 or 10 Gaggia's and ive never seen on in that bad of shape.  You should get a new one before you start making espresso.

We have an orange one in que at the shop, i wonder what condition it will be in.
van
van

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 9:25pm

So that's not the way it was made? How did it get pitted like that? I mean it was behind the shower screen, and I'm pretty sure they never removed it and the other side is pretty bad too. Can the water do that?
van
van

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 9:28pm

Also, does anyone know if that part is interchangeable with the newer gaggia parts?
razorsharpedge

Posted Thu Aug 31, 2006, 5:23am

Hi Patrick,
Congratulations. It looks like a lot of work would be needed to remove that piece!

The shower screen holder in mine is brass, I'm surprised to see aluminum.
I thought the part was just covered with gunge, but that's some severe pitting. There's the chance some one had really, REALLY soft water, or may be espresso is more acidic than I thought, but my guess is that an inappropriate or over strenghth cleaner was used.

I dont know if the shower holder is interchangeable or not. The newer models use a different boiler but that's not to say that the shower holder is a different size. Perhaps dougl4422 may know?

Let us know if you find a source for old Baby parts. I'm looking for some pieces myself.

Regards,
Martin
dougl4422

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2006, 3:25pm

It looks the same as the part thats on the newer model baby.  I don't think we have any in stock at the shop right now but we could probably special order one and ship it out to you.

www.espresso-experts.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349706172943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+