Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
naked portafilter for a saeco aroma
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > naked...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
potus

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2006, 12:11pm
Subject: naked portafilter for a saeco aroma

Right now I have the PPF on my saeco aroma and am thinking about getting a naked portafilter to replace it.  I have two questions...

First, where do I buy one that fits a saeco aroma?  I can't seem to find a place online.

Second, is it worth it to get a naked portafilter?  I hear the naked portafilter will really help me learn to make a better tamp/grind...do you all agree?
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Sep 6, 2006, 4:29pm
Subject: Re: naked portafilter for a saeco aroma

Since your machine uses a pressurize portafilter to give the illusion of the cream ( ok kind of a crema) i don't think is going to work a bottomless one

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
potus

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2006, 5:39pm

What I mean is I want a non-pressurized filter to replace my PPF, and want that non-pressurized portafilter to be bottomless.  Why wouldn't that work?
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Thu Sep 7, 2006, 6:37am

A non pressurized PF is available from Saeco for about $20.00.  I don't think Saeco offers a bottomless PF so making it that way is up to you.  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  Before you chop up the new PF, try using it as is.  You may not need to make the PF bottomless to meet your needs.

Fred
alkinea

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 3:36pm

I purchased a naked portafilter for the Saeco aroma from cerinicoffee.com.
It really makes a difference:
- with the pressurized PF the crema is week and almost white.
  with the non-pressurized PF, the crema is a wonderful thick brown layer.
- the shots taste better, but there is a learning curve
- the bottomless PF really helps to learn, and correct mistakes: the way you grind and tamp is much more important.
- you can make nice pictures of your shots  : )

alkinea: cafe3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
TrailRunR

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w/PID (Past:...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (Past: Baratza...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: None
Roaster: I wish
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 3:15am

You can get one at the Saeco Outlet for about $50 OUCH! When I was using my Aroma I used it and it is a worthy upgrade. The Aroma can produce a decent shot with the NP portafilter so go for it. You may want to shop around for a better deal though. I don't remember paying that much for one.

Click Here (www.saecooutlet.com)

Good luck,

WayneS
renverse

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm KBTS; Bodum...
Posted Fri May 2, 2008, 8:49pm

TrailRunR Said:

You can get one at the Saeco Outlet for about $50 OUCH! When I was using my Aroma I used it and it is a worthy upgrade. The Aroma can produce a decent shot with the NP portafilter so go for it. You may want to shop around for a better deal though. I don't remember paying that much for one.

Click Here (www.saecooutlet.com)

Good luck,

WayneS

Posted April 16, 2008 link

TrailRunR ,
Looking back at your experience with NP portafilter on Aroma, would you still do it or would you rather upgrade (as you did later) to Silvia?
I have an Aroma with the Saeco Titan grinder. Not bad, but far from the best espressos I remember from Italy and Switzerland. Besides a better grinder, common improvement options seem to be NP portafilter and PID. I am debating whether to spend money and effort on such improvements or switch to a better machine, e.g. Silvia. Yet another "lazy" option would be a superautomatic like Saeco Royal, they are on sale at Costco every now and then. Would appreciate your input.
EspressoStraight

Posted Wed May 7, 2008, 6:53pm

I would avoid the superautomatic.  I have a friend who has one and is always pissed about the inconsistency.  He lives down the street and comes over to have me make him espresso when he gets frustrated.  Also, his has broken several times and I have had no problems with my aroma or cunil grinder.  I wouldn't go for "lazy" if you want consistent quality.
KentFL

Grinder: Breville
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: West Bend Poppery
Posted Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:13pm

I hate to post info on ebay sales, because they are often fleeting.  A seller is selling Saeco plain filters for $3.50 & .99 postage.  He claims they are stainless, genuine Saeco.  He says he purchased a quantity at a good price.  I ordered one.  Here is what his ad is titled - Saeco Starbucks Espresso Machine 2 Cup Filter Basket
uhhfck
uhhfck
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Camano Coffee mill
Drip: A crappy one.
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Tue Dec 23, 2008, 9:02am

I got the one off cerinicoffee for 45 plus 4.80 shipping.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > naked...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436748027802)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+