Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia pump leak
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia pump leak  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
swartz23

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio MD50 st
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 1:50pm
Subject: Silvia pump leak

So, a few months ago i made a post about a small occasional drip out the back of my machine, nooone replyed, so i thought i must have been letting some water drip in when i filled her up. Well, that leak has groun to a puddle. Taking apart the machine i notice where it is actually coming from, the return line to the pump, right at the plastic joint and the brass "L" joint. the brass piece is male and the plastic is female. I take it apart,  turns easilyno resistance at all. I get it all the way out, and there is what appears to be some kind of thread lock (maybe lok-tite) but it is clear. There is also a small plastic "star" on the inside of the plastic joint on the pump that moves in and out as you screw the brass joint in and out.
My questions are:
Does anyone know if it makes a difference how far it is screwed in(there were originaly 3 threads of the male piece exposed, so i do have a rough estimate on far i should put it in). But is it used to measure back pressure or anything?

What thread sealer should i use? There are no noticeable cracks on the plastic, so given that it was already lose, I assume that is where the leak is coming from. I have med & strong loc-tite, pipe joint compound with teflon, and teflon tape. The pipe compound doesnt dry, and is good for high pressure and temp.

Any help or ideas would be great
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 2:13pm
Subject: Re: Silvia pump leak

Hi Rich,

I haven't ever taken mine apart in 5 years 4 months & haven't looked at this junction in a while. It should be similar to a furnace humidifier water in line that has a semi-hard polyethelene white tnanslucent output water line & the brass male nut. This compresses a ferrule against the 45 angled shoulder inside the nut & against the bottom shoulder in the angled plastic fitting.

It then grips the water output line & keeps it securely in place. I'll go have a look on my machine right now! {;-)

P.S. You shouldn't need anything inside this fitting to make it seal., after assembling the ferrule on the water line just past firm finger tightness, tighten down the nut only approx 1/8th of a turn., no more!

Overtightening can destroy the ferrule & or water line interface or crack the male plastic output piece!

P.S.S. I just took my machine apart to get you this pic to show you.

CraigA: Pict0213.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
swartz23

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 2:18pm

yup, thats the pump i have, from that pic its the piece coming off of the left side of it.

swartz23: IMG_7052.jpg
(Click for larger image)
swartz23

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 2:44pm

CraigA Said:

I haven't ever taken mine apart in 5 years 4 months & haven't looked at this junction in a while. It should be similar to a furnace humidifier water in line that has a semi-hard polyethelene white tnanslucent output water line & the brass male nut. This compresses a ferrule against the 45 angled shoulder inside the nut & against the bottom shoulder in the angled plastic fitting.

It then grips the water output line & keeps it securely in place. I'll go have a look on my machine right now! {;-)

P.S. You shouldn't need anything inside this fitting to make it seal., after assembling the ferrule on the water line just past firm finger tightness, tighten down the nut only approx 1/8th of a turn., no more!

Overtightening can destroy the ferrule & or water line interface or crack the male plastic output piece!

Posted September 14, 2006 link

Think we are talking about the wrong piece............the part with the line on it is fine. This is actually the piece that is connected to the pump, i realize in my post i said the return line, but i meant on the return side of the pump. the pic i posted, is the inside of the connection i was reffering to.  
I assume this is the piece you are reffering to?

swartz23: IMG_7053.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 2:55pm

No, but I see now what you're referring too Rich! I thought you meant the area circuled in red.. {;-D

I wouldn't seal this up so that it's permanent & cannot be fixed without destroying the plastic nose piece. I'd just use a layer, at most two of teflon tape, but not enough to stress the internal diameter of the nose piece & crack it.

P.S. I'm online right now Rich with Aim & added you as a Buddy., do ya want to IM about it?

CraigA: UlkaVibePump3.JPG

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PaulTheRoaster
PaulTheRoaster

Espresso: Faema C84 A/1, Eterna leva...
Grinder: Compak K6, Solis Classic
Drip: French Press, Swiss Gold...
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:12pm

I don't think I completely understand the problem.
But if you ever have plumbing problems and can't do things the right way, you can always use JB Water Weld. It is NSF-rated as being water-safe, and it handles boiling water at 9 bar without any problems. It is very easy to use.

(I have 2 thermocouple ferrules in my group that I tried many times to solder, but I couldn't get it to work, and JB Water Weld solved the problem.)
 View Profile Link to this post
swartz23

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:20pm

, seems to have worked, my biggest concern was how far because of that star like thing inside the fitting. it has a spring behind it, so i didnt know if pressure would be  effected by it. doesnt seem to leak anymore
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:22pm

Great!, what did you use? I'm not familiar with that area of the pump.
Look above, my P.S.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:52pm

Rich, the outermost thread on the brass fitting is flush with the outside of the white plastic outlet piece.

CraigA: UlkaVibePumpElbow2.JPG

Cakesniffer

Espresso: Silvia Watlow PID
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Calder's Coffee
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:53pm

Out of curiosity, was this

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/203779

your problem?
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia pump leak  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426155090332)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+