Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia pump leak
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia pump leak  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
swartz23

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio MD50 st
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 5:17pm
Subject: Re: Silvia pump leak

CraigA Said:

Rich, the outermost thread on the brass fitting is flush with the outside of the white plastic outlet piece.

Posted September 14, 2006 link

Thats where i put it into, even though it wasnt befor.

Cakesniffer Said:

Out of curiosity, was this

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/203779

your problem?

Yup, I googled silvia pump leak, and nothing about that thread came up.......i just assumed it would, other threds from here have showed up.
Hopefully, it will not leak again, not thats it is hard to fix.......but just annoying.

CraigA Said:

Great!, what did you use? I'm not familiar with that area of the pump.
Look above, my P.S..

just used some teflon tape.

Just filled the boiler, steamed some milk for hot cocoa, and filled the boiler back up, and no drops!
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Cakesniffer

Espresso: Silvia Watlow PID
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Calder's Coffee
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 5:27pm

swartz23 Said:

Yup, I googled silvia pump leak, and nothing about that thread came up.......i just assumed it would, other threds from here have showed up.
Hopefully, it will not leak again, not thats it is hard to fix.......but just annoying.

Well, it's not hard to fix the leak, but in my case the steel frame had already begun to rust.  This was less than one month in.  I noticed it only because water was coming through to the front of the machine (which is where the rust happened).

WLL was very good about it and sent me a new one--and paid for shipping the leaky/rusty one to them.

Make sure you don't have the same problem....
 View Profile Link to this post
swartz23

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 7:08pm

Cakesniffer Said:

Well, it's not hard to fix the leak, but in my case the steel frame had already begun to rust.  This was less than one month in.  I noticed it only because water was coming through to the front of the machine (which is where the rust happened).

WLL was very good about it and sent me a new one--and paid for shipping the leaky/rusty one to them.

Make sure you don't have the same problem....

I took a look, and there was a lil rust, but it wiped away with a damp cloth, this only came  out the back, right near the cord, so none other than whats in the drip pan corners.
Hopefully when i backflush tomorrow it holds up. Does anyone know what that plastic "star" looking thing is in that plastic piece? You can see in the pic that it has a spring behind it, i guess maybe its to close it up after the return pressure drops.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 7:17pm

I'm guessing, but I believe by looking at it that it acts like a gicleur (restrictor), that dampens the positive water pulse from the vibe pump & cushions the water like a check valve on the negative or non pumping part (backpressure) of the cycle.

Dan Kehn ( dan_kehn ) has posted graphs, specs, & technical info about Ulka vibe pumps here on the forums & there's info over on the Home Barista forums also. {:-)

The Word document below is only a graph of the model Ulka E4, the bitmap (.bmp) didn't display so I put it in Microsort Word.

Doc9.doc

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
swartz23

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 8:29pm

Thanks craig and everyone else who has given a helping hand. THATS WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 8:34pm

Anytime Rich!

I'm glad I/we could help out, that's what it's all about! {;-D

P.S. Rich, how old is your machine?, I was just wonderin'.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ila

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 12:54am

CraigA Said:

No, but I see now what you're referring too Rich! I thought you meant the area circuled in red.. {;-D

I wouldn't seal this up so that it's permanent & cannot be fixed without destroying the plastic nose piece. I'd just use a layer, at most two of teflon tape, but not enough to stress the internal diameter of the nose piece & crack it.

P.S. I'm online right now Rich with Aim & added you as a Buddy., do ya want to IM about it?

Hi,
i'm italian. Excuse me if i write on this old discussion. On my country there is no the same culture for this coffee machines...
I've same problem with my miss Silvia. How do i do for disassembly the 90 curve? must i unscrew the nut that it's rappresented on red circle?
thank's!
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 3:44am

ila Said:

Hi,
i'm italian. Excuse me if i write on this old discussion. On my country there is no the same culture for this coffee machines...
I've same problem with my miss Silvia. How do i do for disassembly the 90 curve? must i unscrew the nut that it's rappresented on red circle?
thank's!

Posted May 24, 2012 link

Hi Ila, you do not have to unscrew the compression fitting nut from the pipe going to the boiler. The outlet "nose" fitting of the ULKA pump rotates in place. If you look at it closely you will see notches for a 12mm spanner. You can hold the right angle fitting still and unscrew it from the pump side.

The original cause of the problem is the use of liquid thread sealant. I use plumbers teflon tape as a substitute on the threads of the right angle fitting and it fixes the leak permanently.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ila

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 4:47am

Let's see if I understand. the brass fitting I keep it fixed, I keep the pump fixed, rotate only the piece of white plastic? this is my situation ...
the piece of white plastic turn respect the pump or he must turn all the pomp (with thewhite plastic)?

ila: silvia.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia pump leak  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.490582942963)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+