Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Isomac Tea pump pressure has disappeared
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac Tea pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
e61brewski
e61brewski
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: isomac tea, riviera lever
Grinder: mazzer major, isomac gran...
Vac Pot: dirt devil lx
Drip: wouldn't dare
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Wed Sep 20, 2006, 5:39pm
Subject: Isomac Tea pump pressure has disappeared

How about an insta-diagnosis from the gearheads?

The Isomac Tea had been acting up for the first time last week -- no water when i pulled the lever, only steam. It wasn't vapor lock, because it happened whenever I let the machine sit, even after a session of pulling shots, and I could still get water immediately from the hot water tap. That problem disappeared after a couple days, but this morning the pump pressure suddenly refused to go past 1.5 bars. I essentially pulled a shot on an extended preinfusion. The water quickly flowed slower and slower. Now I get nothing -- only steam and hissing -- when i attempt to pull water.

Busted vibe pump? Is that it? The machine is two years old, roughly.

The requisite caveats: I clean her religiously, have ridiculously soft water and no scale, have turned her on and off, tried bleeding the steam wand, etc. Bottom line is, it would appear that my pump no longer pushes water. Unless there's another explanation I don't know about.

p.s. if it's the pump, what are my options? vendors for pumps? pump upgrades? what kind of price tag are we talking here?

the blog: http://ben.szobody.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 20, 2006, 6:15pm
Subject: Re: Isomac Tea pump pressure has disappeared

e61brewski Said:

p.s. if it's the pump, what are my options? vendors for pumps? pump upgrades? what kind of price tag are we talking here?

Posted September 20, 2006 link

It may very well be the pump....

In my experience, those vibe pumps don't last long.  I replaced a few of them on my machines before I went rotary.  You can get the ULKA 40-something watt or 50-something watt pump, either will fit in the rubber mounts in your Isomac. It's an easy repair, ut plan on it taking a couple of hours or from start to finish.  

Just a note, let the machine cool off before doing the work (spoken from experience - I can be pretty stupid sometimes)

The pumps are readily available for $40 - $100 I think.....from the usual suspects: ChrisN or TerryZ

Here's a couple for $40 - $50  http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/repairparts/vibpump (either should work)

Here's the Fluid-o-tech  http://www.espressoparts.com/product/W25461

And another 40-something watt ULKA  http://www.espressoparts.com/product/V_658

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006, 5:07am

Listen for the pump noise when you pull the lever, is it attivate? have you remove the showerscreen, and the top screen filetr of the gigleur and made sure thay are clean?

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
e61brewski
e61brewski

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006, 6:18am

the pump definitely "activates." it comes on, but no water is forthcoming. as for the screens, they're all brand new.

jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:59pm

e61brewski Said:

Busted vibe pump? Is that it? The machine is two years old, roughly.

Posted September 20, 2006 link

Usual d'oh list comes first:
-- kinked or slipped off hose from tank to pump inlet
-- jammed up water softener or screen in the hose
-- put in a blind filter, look at the pressure and the backflow from the OPV, if these are normal, there's an obstruction from the pump head to the group. If the pressure is low, and OPV backflow large, it's slipped to a low setting. If both the pressure and backflow are low, then the pump itself is not putting out.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
Clingstone
Clingstone

Espresso: Isomac Tea and...
Grinder: Vario and Rocky D.Less
Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006, 1:56pm

My Tea is about 2+ years old and I've been having the exact same problem. I've checked all the usual suspects as well and spent a lot of time speaking with the good folks at ChrisCoffee. With me it seems to come and go and only happens every 3-5 weeks. Per ChrisCoffee folks I checked the hoses and screens and the check valve and all seemed fine. I also removed the big bolt at the top of the grouphead with the machine off and cool (ok after burning myself I did this) and poured vinegar through the grouphead while working the lever up and down. All this fiddling seemed to fix things and then it happened again about a week ago (of course at the exact moment I was stressed out and needed a shot before my brain failed), but then -thank God- fixed itself about 2 hours later.

All this has lead Roger at ChrisCoffee to conclude that it is indeed the pump starting its demise. One thing I really do notice when things aren't right is that the pump is making a noticeably higher pitched sound. So my plan is to shell out the 50-60 bucks for a new vibe pump and replace the old one when it craps out for good. And if the pump's not the culprit I probably needed a new one and I'll keep up my detective work.

Good luck to both of us!

"AND THE BOSTON RED SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!??"
e61brewski
e61brewski

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2006, 7:02pm

after some passing, er, diversions, i executed shulman's easy-check list (above; very wise) and concluded that indeed my tea pump is bad. no flow whatsoever, and no line blockages to be found. also, no backflow whatsoever with a blind disc. no pump pressure registering on the pump gauge whatsoever.

i went by info posted with isomac teas for sale online and ordered a 52-watt pump. when i got the old pump out, however, it said 47 watts on it.

does anyone know if going to a different wattage will cause problems? i know the 52s are supposed to be quieter. should i see any adverse effects of putting it in?

there's a par-tay at my house tomorrow night, and i, uh, need to move.

when i get done, i'll post some simple instructions on the replacement. it's not hard, but i would have liked the assurance of a handy step-by-step before i started.

e61brewski
e61brewski

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2006, 7:34am

got my answer: the 52-watters are fine -- yea, better -- in replacement of the stock isomac pumps.

HOWEVER, i'd caution that even with a list of checks (above), one may not have a pump problem. i still don't have regular water flow, and the folks at chris' coffee tell me it could be the air release valve (just after the braided line coming from the pump) or the expansion valve (where the second rubber hose returns to the tank).

i'll post results and extra cautions when i get done.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac Tea pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405771970749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+