Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What machine to buy - beginner.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What machine to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jackson

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 1:45pm
Subject: What machine to buy - beginner.

Hello, I am trying to research an espresso machine as a Christmas present for my husband. We've had some Coffeemate or some similar type of machine for years and it recently broke.  I find myself overwhelmed with all the factors that should come into play when making a good shot of espresso - I had no idea and wonder if I've ever tried a well made shot....  Any suggestions on the type of machine I should look for without breaking the bank?  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
CaliforniaCaffiend

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: What machine to buy - beginner.

Well, without more info on what would be too expensive, I'd start with a Rancilio Sylvia machine and a matching Rancilio Rocky grinder.  It's a good "real" espresso machine, meaning it has a pump, with a decent boiler, a three way valve, and good steaming abilities.  A burr grinder is a must have.  Check the reviews here for both the Silvia and Rocky.  

Beyond the Silvia, there are better machines, but you'll pay dearly for the improvements.  A good e61 heat exchanger will make better espresso, see Exobar, Isomac, ECM for examples, but you'll pay $1000 to $1300 for the machine alone.

Good luck with the research!
49express

Espresso: Francis Francis X5
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Braun
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 5:30pm

Hey Jackson, you don't say whether your defunct machine was an espresso maker or what.  Tell me more about what the thing looked like.  And how much DO you want to spend?  Guidelines will help in advising you.  I'm getting the impression you haven't been making "the real thing" and might need a machine which has some beginner bells and whistles.  The Rancilio machines are not beginnier machines, more for someone who know what they're doing.  So, give us some more info and we'll try to guide you in the right direction.
jackson

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 8:12pm

The machine that we've been using is a Mr. Coffee espresso machine which uses steam to froth the milk.  What to spend.... I'm not sure.  I thought about spending $400 and was hoping to get a good machine for that or less.  I struggle with spending a lot if I'm not going to be able to make good espresso with my machine - I just wouldn't get the value.  So, that said, I want to find a beginner machine under $400.  I suppose I could wait on the grinder and add that later.  Thanks so much for your help!
tom_b
tom_b

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia/PID
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Roaster: USPS/Popper
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 10:13pm

The Gaggia line of espresso machines makes good espresso, and the cheaper ones are like $200. The Gaggia MDF grinder is about $150 right now. If you skip the grinder, you can't control the flow of espresso to get an 'ideal' 25 second 2 oz shot, so you're going to miss out on quality. Cheaper burr grinders die, or they don't grind fine enough, or if they do they produce a lot of powder that overextracts when the hot water hits and bitterness is the result. Blade grinders don't grind fine enough, which will make the espresso waterey.. Be sure to get a tamper that will fit your new espresso machine's portafilter handle and learn about temperature surfing to get a really consistant espresso..
Regards,
tom
49express

Espresso: Francis Francis X5
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Braun
Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003, 4:50pm

Jackson, go read reviews on www.wholelattelove.com.   User reviews are listed by machine and you can glean lots of info.  Things to decide:  portafilters - do you want one that's pressurized to relieve you of the need to get just the right grind and tamp, or do you want the non-pressurized one and learn how to do it right?  Do you have a preference on switches as opposed to buttons?  How about how much plastic is involved in the machine?  We all know how plastic just lasts and lasts, especially cheap knobs.  When reading reviews, think about how many shots you'll be extracting each time you use the machine.  Is a long warm up time worth it if you alone are needing a single or double, then you're out the door?  Or are other folks going to use it too, so once it's warmed up it's ready to produce shot after shot after shot?  Also, think measurements.  How high are your upper cabinets on the counter where you plan to put it.  Will you have room?  Yes, these are reasons why it took me so long to decide on what to buy, it will drive you nuts.  But, better to think about these things than be sorry later.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What machine to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305800914764)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+