Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cleaning & Bean usage and storage in a Grinder
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning & Bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Bob259
Bob259
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rocky Doserless, retired...
Drip: Technivorm KBT 741
Roaster: Wish list- RK Roaster or a...
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 5:19am
Subject: Cleaning & Bean usage and storage in a Grinder

What is everyone doing for bean storage and usage in your grinders.  With my old grinder I used to keep my beans in the grinder, but after reading everything here I changed and only ground what I needed then dumped them back in to the storage container.  With my new Rocky that is no easy task and is far to heavy for the wife to do this.  

So, what does everyone here do?

I was thinking of measuring the amount of beans I need and than just pouring that amount into the hopper each time we brewed.  Anyone else doing this and how are you measuring.

On cleaning I just blow out the hopper, wipe it with a dry towel and use a small brush on the chute.  Is this about what everyone else is doing?
 View Profile Link to this post
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 5:52am
Subject: Re: Cleaning & Bean usage and storage in a Grinder

Bob259 Said:

I was thinking of measuring the amount of beans I need and than just pouring that amount into the hopper each time we brewed.  Anyone else doing this and how are you measuring.

Posted October 19, 2006 link

Exactly what I do.  I measure out what I need and grind it.  Nothing gets stored in the grinder.

Bob259 Said:

On cleaning I just blow out the hopper, wipe it with a dry towel and use a small brush on the chute.  Is this about what everyone else is doing?

Once per week, I run Minute Rice through my grinder to clean the burrs, then I vacuum it out and wipe down to clean off oils.  The rice also does a good job of absorbing oils.  If the oils stay in there too long, they will go rancid and taint your coffee.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jules_Gobeil

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Roaster: Behmor, iRoast2
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 6:03am

I also measure what I need and grind it.  I use a level 1/4 cup measure and it gives me just what I need.

To clean the Rocky, see this article:
"How to Clean a Rancilio Rocky"

www.julesgobeil.com
T_Roy
T_Roy

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Air Popper
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 6:03am

The problem that I have is when I put too few beans in my hopper I get that popcorn effect.  But if I put enough in to stop the popcorn, then I am left with whole and partially ground beans in the grinder.

I don't know what is worse: 1) popcorning 2) wasting coffee.

I guess if I was fiscally responsible I would monitor my waste much more than I currently am doing.

For cleaning, I brush the doser and chute clean after each use.  Wipe down and vacuum weekly.  I haven't tried the minute rice as of yet, but am considering adopting it.
randomperson

Espresso: La Valentina Levetta, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, Rocky...
Drip: Capresso MT500, Braun...
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 6:43am

Like eodove, I don't store anything in the hopper.  I bought a .1 gram scale and measure out my beans per shot (for espresso) or per pot (for drip).  For espresso, I measure out 18.5 grams of beans, put them in the Mini E (or Rocky doserless for decaf) and grind until empty.  So, even though the Mini E has the electronic doser, I don't use it -- I prefer to store the beans in a rubber gasket mason jar.

As for cleaning, I use Grindz -- pretty miraculous stuff!  I don't do it more than once a month, but it does make things squeaky clean when I do.
EddieDove
EddieDove

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 7:04am

randomperson Said:

As for cleaning, I use Grindz -- pretty miraculous stuff!  I don't do it more than once a month, but it does make things squeaky clean when I do.

I know of many that sing the praises of Grindz.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
Steve_C
Steve_C

Espresso: Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, AeroPress
Drip: Hario V60, Bodum Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 7:18am

I have a Rocky doserless ...

I store my freshly roasted beans in this jar ->     http://www.vacuvin.nl/dining_coffeesaver.html

Measure out my beans on this little set of scales (grinding for each shot) ->     http://www.salteronline.com/nutritional/205260/

And I use this method to flush out the grinds left in Rocky ->     "Flushing Rocky (Part II)"

Clean and simple.
Clingstone
Clingstone

Espresso: Isomac Tea and...
Grinder: Vario and Rocky D.Less
Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 8:47am

I use Grindz about once a month on my Rocky and really notice a difference. Quick question (may be dumb), does it really make a difference storing in a jar v. the hopper when I manage to go through my beans (from my iRoast) in 3-4 days? Just wunderin'

"AND THE BOSTON RED SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!??"
randomperson

Espresso: La Valentina Levetta, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, Rocky...
Drip: Capresso MT500, Braun...
Posted Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:33am

Clingstone Said:

I use Grindz about once a month on my Rocky and really notice a difference. Quick question (may be dumb), does it really make a difference storing in a jar v. the hopper when I manage to go through my beans (from my iRoast) in 3-4 days? Just wunderin'

I can't imagine that it would, actually.  A few days or less shouldn't be a big deal -- makes me wonder why I worry about it, as I could easily just put two days worth of beans in the hopper!
chickenwings

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 8:34am

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Anyway, I'm considering a new grinder - Baratza Vario - W but am wondering a bit about, let's say a week's bean storage in the hopper - I typically roast about 4-6 days worth at a time and if I'm going to go to a weighed charge I don't want to measure beans every day as well....so then, downgrade to a no scale version and keep measuring or have confidence that a week's worth of beans don't change dramatically in the hopper.

Thanks folks!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning & Bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491712093353)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+