Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia portafilter spring -- removable?
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tmaynard

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee, Bialetti...
Grinder: Zassenhaus, La Pavoni Zip
Drip: Aerobie Aeropress, French...
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 5:46pm
Subject: Gaggia portafilter spring -- removable?

I was giving my Gaggia Coffee a top-down cleaning and took a good close look at the portafilter for the first time.  There's a groove machined into the inner circumference, near the top, and there's a nearly complete "circular" steel wire spring in that groove -- the filter basket is held in by the spring tension (I presume).

Can I get that spring out?  If so, how?

That groove is full of gunk!  I got a lot/most of the gunk out by pushing the spring around in the groove with a Q-Tip (about a dozen, in fact).  But, if that spring wasn't there it would be a much easier job!

Oh, and if it's removable/reinsertable -- how many cycles do you think it might have before I break the d*mn thing?

And lastly, if you don't remove your spring -- how do you clean that groove?

TIA,
Tom.
 View Profile Link to this post
madroaster

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: S1V2
Grinder: CMH
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: In between roasters.  SC/TO...
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 7:35pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia portafilter spring -- removable?

Removing them can be a pain in the ass.  Use something thin and sharpish (think slot screwdriver) and pop it out by working around the bits that stick out (the parts that hold the basket in).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 9:31pm

tmaynard Said:

... if you don't remove your spring -- how do you clean that groove?

Posted December 10, 2006 link

Hi Tom. A good soak in Cafiza (or other strong detergent) should take care of most coffee gunk. However, I can't remember ever having to remove the PF spring for cleaning. There's no reason for oils to accumulate there under normal use. Just rinse the PF after each pour, and pop out the filter basket occasionally for a good scrubbing.
________
John
KittJ

Espresso: PID Expobar Brewtus IIIR;
Grinder: Mazzer: Mini & SJ
Drip: Why??
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 6:15am

RapidCoffee Said:

There's no reason for oils to accumulate there under normal use. Just rinse the PF after each pour, and pop out the filter basket occasionally for a good scrubbing. John

Posted December 10, 2006 link

I have to disagree , John.  I have several Gaggia PFs and while the "junk" is not noticeable on casual surface inspection, you will usually see some if you remove the retention spring (I'll get to that) since it is a round diameter set into a square groove.  I usually remove the spring a couple of times each year to play with the tension and clean the grooves.

Tom, the spring pops out easily if you slip a sturdy knife blade between the"chord" and the groove to lever it out a little.  You will go crazy if you try to pry the end of the wire out first, so don't waste the time.  Once the chord starts out, the whole thing pops out easily.

You can change the grip of the spring on the basket by making small changes in the length of the chord (with a pair of needle-nose pliers) or by introducing a small bend in it.  I set mine to allow the basket to be retained when I flip the puck out (don't you love those ridgeless Gaggia baskets?) and yet soft enough to let me pluck the basket out with friction from my thumb after I rinse so that I can slap a fresh one in for each shot.  (Again, there is no danger of breaking the wall seal of the puck since there is no ridge that the spring is going to snap.)

So, IMHO, pull out the spring "till your little heart's content.    Regards,  KittJ
tmaynard

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 1:09pm

KittJ Said:

the spring pops out easily if you slip a sturdy knife blade between the"chord" and the groove to lever it out a little...So, IMHO, pull out the spring "till your little heart's content.

Posted December 11, 2006 link

Thanks for the tip.  I found that a corkscrew works wonderfully: it's thin enough to wedge in behind the chord, and it's pre-curved to pry the spring out and up -- and then it goes flying across the room!  [Hint: wear eye protection!]

And when I got it out it was sticky/gummy and the groove was the same.  They're both like new now -- thanks!

If there's anyone reading this who hasn't popped their spring, go and do it now!   Have your Cafiza solution at the ready: you won't want to handle that spring very much (it's yucky).
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 5:10pm

Just out of curiosity, I popped the spring on a couple of my portafilters. I use a naked PF most of the time; as you'd expect, there was absolutely no coffee gunk in the spring clip. But even in my regular PFs, there was no visible gunk. Below is a pic of my oldest PF (from an old one group Rancilio commercial machine), which has never had the spring clip removed for cleaning.

I'm also a fan of ridgeless baskets, and maybe that's why I don't see gunk in my spring clips. It's easy to pop out a ridgeless basket and give the PF a quick scrub with a scotch brite pad. Or perhaps Gaggia PFs are more prone to this problem, who knows.

Regardless, this is of little consequence compared to other cleaning procedures: the portafilter wiggle after each shot, rinsing spent grounds out of the filter basket, etc. The espresso in your cup should never touch the spring clip. If it does, something's gone badly wrong.

Glad to hear you got the problem solved - John

RapidCoffee: IMG_0544.JPG
(Click for larger image)
megabyte

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 2:56am

Could you please tell me where the "chord" is on the portafilter spring?  The spring is not holding the basket in whilst knocking out. I would like to try to bend it to fit or buy a new one.
tmaynard

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 3:41am

The"chord" is simply the flat spot in the spring, about an inch or so long, midway between the two ends It
is so named (here) after the geometric definition of a similar construct. HTH.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374467849731)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+