Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Rocky (doserless) question
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Feb 9, 2007, 5:11pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky (doserless) question

Here's that link I mentioned to you on the phone Brian about the play in Rocky's upper burr carrier: "Re: Just some interesting Rocky observations..."

After the upper burr carriers threads are spotless & the receiving lower female housing threads too, also do the teflon tape mod on the brass upper burr carriers threads. Start at the bottom of the threads just below the upper burr (facing you) and pull slightly while overlapping at the starting point to finishing. I overlapped about each layer 1/3rd or so of the width of the tape on each overlapping revolution/spiral.

You may need more or less tape, as YMMV. Please report back as to how it has worked out.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BrianRose

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sat Feb 10, 2007, 5:59am

Craig,
  The teflon tape suggestion seemed to do the trick--and I'm now able to get a 25 second, 2-oz. pull at the 0 position, with no burrs grinding. Thanks for the help.
 View Profile Link to this post
spentgrounds

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Bodum press pot, cuisinart...
Roaster: kitchen gourmet popper
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 5:12am

After a month of grinding, I cleaned Rocky for the first time. It was really quite easy. I had a little trepidation.... anxious that somehow I would damage it. Or not get it back together. I did not take the bottom burr out. I may try that the next time. I cleaned the top burr really well. I'm assuming it's okay to rinse off and dry well the burrs? I've seen people talk about using some type of cleaner, but I'm thinking that would be overkill. I got the bottom burr pretty clean, it would obviously clean up better if I removed it. I did not do the teflon mod. There seems to be very little play in my unit, and I'm figuring it probably won't be noticeable until I get an espresso machine. Craig, is there a benefit to doing the teflon mod if I'm not brewing espresso? Also, for future reference, does the tape have to be changed during cleanings? Thanks, I appreciate your wealth of knowledge on Rocky.
seeno

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 3:58pm

Craig,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the informative post. Unfortunatly, when I grind at a higher setting, I cannot get a 25 second pull..... its usually <20 seconds on my Gaggia when I grind higher that 5/6.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 5:28pm

spentgrounds Said:

There seems to be very little play in my unit, and I'm figuring it probably won't be noticeable until I get an espresso machine. Craig, is there a benefit to doing the teflon mod if I'm not brewing espresso? Also, for future reference, does the tape have to be changed during cleanings? Thanks, I appreciate your wealth of knowledge on Rocky.

Posted February 11, 2007 link

Well if there's play in the burr carrier, there will be a noticible variance in the grind. IMO then it's a worthwhile benefit to improve grind quality.When the dial is changed back & forth between settings it does get sliced up, & grinds build up in the carriers fillets (channels)., so it has to be changed.

You'd be doing this anyway when you clean off the burrs, sweepers, etc.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 6:05pm

As to the numbers on the Rocky dial - please realize that this is simply a piece of sticky-backed foil, stuck onto the hopper.  Its meaning is only RELATIVE.  "0" on that tape means NOTHING.

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007, 6:24pm

CraigA Said:

Well if there's play in the burr carrier, there will be a noticible variance in the grind. IMO then it's a worthwhile benefit to improve grind quality.When the dial is changed back & forth between settings it does get sliced up, & grinds build up in the carriers fillets (channels)., so it has to be changed.

I was able to take care of the grind drift while making my rocky STEPLESS...

TimEggers: Picture 006.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
seeno

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2007, 7:55am

Kristi Said:

As to the numbers on the Rocky dial - please realize that this is simply a piece of sticky-backed foil, stuck onto the hopper.  Its meaning is only RELATIVE.  "0" on that tape means NOTHING.

Kristi,

Thanks, I did follow the "Finding the True Zero" instructions found on this site. My 5/6 grind level is measured from true zero and not based on the sticker markings.

1) From your experience, is 5/6 too low for espresso (using Gaggia Coffee)? Am I doing something wrong?

2) Are there any other comparible doserless grinders at this price range? Any thoughts on the QuickMill Doserless vs Rocky?

Thanks for all your help.
Kristi
Kristi

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:46am

seeno Said:

Kristi,

Thanks, I did follow the "Finding the True Zero" instructions found on this site. My 5/6 grind level is measured from true zero and not based on the sticker markings.

1) From your experience, is 5/6 too low for espresso (using Gaggia Coffee)? Am I doing something wrong?

2) Are there any other comparible doserless grinders at this price range? Any thoughts on the QuickMill Doserless vs Rocky?

Thanks for all your help.

Posted February 12, 2007 link

1. no - depends on the newness of the burrs.

2. I have no experience with the QM and have heard nothing.

Next step up would be to cruise ebay for a used Mazzer SuperJolly, get new burrs for it from Phaelon, and you should be in great position for a very long time.  Take your time - pick a good one - watch the seller feedback.

Much as I have bitched about the Rockey (I've had 3 of them) it is far more consistant a grind than anything at $200 or $250 new.  I do feel it colors the taste because the burrs are so small that it overheats the coffee while grinding, BUT I have not heard anyone else saying that so possibly I'm delusional.  To me the Tranq (had one) is a worthless POS, but other folks here seem to like it...

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
seeno

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2007, 6:12am

Issue resolved! I realized the reason why I had to grind with such fine settings was because clumps (leading to uneven distribution) were causing channeling.
I tried stirring the clumps out of the grinds w/skewer prior to distribution and tamping, and I now need to grind at a setting of about 7/8/9. I am also getting a much better shot as a result.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393864870071)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+