Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine buying advice: Nuova Simonelli Mac Digit
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CoffeeN00b

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Personal 1
Grinder: Innova Connical
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 1:15pm
Subject: Machine buying advice: Nuova Simonelli Mac Digit

I am looking at a used Mac Digit for $350 I realize this is an excellent price for this machine but I know little about the machine itself.  I have been considering planning for an upgrade (using a used Audrey at the moment) to an HX, probably a QuickMill.  

So are there any regret factors I should know about these machines?  Also he says it was used very little which likely also means "never cleaned" and probably that the lines were not bled before storage.  How much of a problem will that be.  Can I fix this easily with a descaler and coffee oil cleaner or will the machine possibly require replacement parts?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
ImSmarterThanYou

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 1:59pm
Subject: Re: Machine buying advice: Nuova Simonelli Mac Digit

Hi CoffeeNOOb,

Personally I'd say $350 for a $3500 CAN machine is the best deal anyday. Even if you have to spend $500 to repair it, I'd take it.

Secondly, the Mac itself is in a completly different class as the Andreja by Quickmill or any home E-61 compact* HX for that matter ...

Allow me to explain:
Just the fact that the boiler is more than twice as big as any home E-61 compact will make it much sturdier (heats less often) and give you better temperature stability. The mass of the Mac's brewing head matches an E-61 and they both have a preinfusion chamber. Furthermore, the 5 liter boiler will offer plenty of steam at a much better pressure than the compacts. The Sirai commercial prestostat (which you will probably find in that Simonelli) is easy to adjust and at least twice as durable as the tiny prestostats that come standard in compacts.

There's more, but I got to go !

Best luck with your purchase !!!

P.S. If you need to have the Mac fixed or want to get the parts in your area, try http://www.ecm.bc.ca/index.html

*Compact E-61 Machine with HX includes: Quickmill, ECM Giotto, Isomac, Maver, Expobar ...
jesawdy

Espresso: Silvia, Cimbali M32
Grinder: Rocky, Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 2:14pm

Well, at $350 you can't expect much, but you could hope for the best.

My only comments are that by all accounts, it should be a great machine.  If I had the same opportunity, I would probably go for it, but I would have the understanding that I would have to be very lucky to get a machine that only required cleaning.  But it is possible.

Barring a failure of the dosing controls, or the autofill controller "brain box", it is probably cost effective to repair.  You'll have to be up to the task of getting your hands dirty and learning the inner workings of a commercial espresso machine.  This can be "fun" if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Nuova Simonelli has a great machine reputation and are well built, but they also carry the stigma of having very expensive replacement part costs... something else you might consider.

Finally, it is pretty big, make sure you can live with the size.

-Jeff

Jeff Sawdy
Tex
Tex
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 5:18pm

CoffeeN00b Said:

I am looking at a used Mac Digit for $350 I realize this is an excellent price for this machine but I know little about the machine itself.  I have been considering planning for an upgrade (using a used Audrey at the moment) to an HX, probably a QuickMill.  

So are there any regret factors I should know about these machines?  Also he says it was used very little which likely also means "never cleaned" and probably that the lines were not bled before storage.  How much of a problem will that be.  Can I fix this easily with a descaler and coffee oil cleaner or will the machine possibly require replacement parts?

Thanks

Posted March 26, 2007 link

It all depends on many factors. Was the boiler full when it was stored? Was it subjected to freezing temps? The NS Mac is easily repaired & parts are readily available. Is the one you're looking at a single? If so it'll make a good home machine if that's what you have in mind, but they work best in a commercial environment where continuous use keeps the group temp stable (it doesn't have passive a thermo siphon system).

If you buy it there's lots of help available here & in alt.coffee when it's time to open it up. And surprisingly, there's not much that seems to go bad in these machines that can't be fixed with just simple hand tools.

Good luck!

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
GernBlanston
GernBlanston

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2007, 6:24am

As Tex was alluding to the biggest thing is to make sure that when it was "stored" all of the water was drained out of the machine or it was stored in above freezing temps.  When they are stored at below freezing temps the water in the boiler expands and bursts the seams on the boiler rendering the machine useless.  Unless you can find another inexpensive used boiler.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360918998718)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+