Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex by Izzo
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex by Izzo  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FredtheWhale

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Percolator, French Press,...
Roaster: HG/DB, Poppery II
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 5:22pm
Subject: Alex by Izzo

Hey,

What do you know about the Alex by Izzo? Any maintenance or performance issues? How does it compare to the Andreja Premium or Vetrano?
The Alex seems to have a good middle ground between the Andreja and Vetrano because it can be plumed or pour over, and has a rotary pump.

Everyone seems hot on the Quick Mill machines, so I'm a bit leery about venturing out.
 View Profile Link to this post
velomane

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: Gros Bodum/ Petit Bodum
Roaster: WB PopperyII/ HWP
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 7:29pm
Subject: Re: Alex by Izzo

There is an Alex user's group at Google, you might get some answers there.

Velo
JV
JV
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco 2EE, Brasilia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mahlkoenig...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 7:37pm

I have never used the other machines but i own the Alex and it is an awesome and amazing machine.   I was going to get the vetrano but the Alex just won me over. i guess the big feet and its 70pounds caught my eye.  the alex is rotary, you can use it as a pourover or plumb in with the flip of a switch...i have mine hooked up with a flojet and it works awesome.   if you get the alex you will be very happy :)
lparsons21

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 9:01pm

I looked at all those and ended up with the Alex.  Superb machine.  I used it pourover for a day and then finished the plumb in.  

There have been no reported maintenance issues other than some that needed something when delivered.  Some were from mishandling by the shipping company, but were easily fixed with Chris Coffee's fine help.

Mine was flawless on delivery and has performed for about 4 months with nary a burp.  Strong steam, easy flushing and very forgiveable.

I wrote a review here, and there is another one also.  Check Home-barista.com forums as there has been some discussion over there also.

To put a cap on it.  If I had it all to do over again, I would buy the Alex.

Lloyd
JV
JV

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 9:50pm

i agree with lparsons21...now go get the Alex
FredtheWhale

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Percolator, French Press,...
Roaster: HG/DB, Poppery II
Posted Fri Mar 16, 2007, 4:33am

thank you all very much for the feedback. i really like the plumb / pour over switch. i'm not planning to plumb directly because we have pretty hard water and i really should wait to plumb until we soften or i add something to the espresso line. it looks like the alex is essentially the same price as the andreja plus the plumb accessory.

how much noisier is a vibrating pump than a rotary? i keep reading about the "super quiet" rotary pump but don't have any perspective.
lparsons21

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2007, 8:45am

I can't speak for other machines, but while the rotary pump in my Alex is much quieter than was the vibe pump in my Sylvia, you won't have any problem hearing it!

Lloyd
lparsons21

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2007, 8:49am

FredtheWhale Said:

thank you all very much for the feedback. i really like the plumb / pour over switch. i'm not planning to plumb directly because we have pretty hard water and i really should wait to plumb until we soften or i add something to the espresso line. it looks like the alex is essentially the same price as the andreja plus the plumb accessory.

Posted March 16, 2007 link

When I bought my Alex, I had every intention of plumbing it in, so I bought the softener/filter kit that Chris Coffee sells.  I think it is around $100US and well worth it.  Frankly after you use it as a pourover for awhile, you will really start chomping at the bit to get it plumbed in.  HX/E61 machines just use a lot of water with the cooling flush and the cleanup after the pull.

Lloyd
DavidinVT

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: Macap M4 stepless
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup; Chambord Press...
Drip: Technivorm; Aeropress;...
Roaster: Gene Cafe; iRoast2;...
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 6:01pm

Hi,

Like so many others before me, I have lately been engulfed in the maelstrom of researching a first time machine purchase.   Weeks of feverish reading on both CG and Home-Barista.   Hours perusing the ChrisCoffee and 1st-Line sites.   Moments of supposed "revelation" followed by protracted periods of confusion and mental paralysis.   You know the drill.

Well, cutting to the chase, I seem finally to have reached a point where the Alex has become the top contender (others considered have been pretty much the full range of "usual suspects" in the $1K - $1.5K price range:  La Valentina, Anita, Andreja, Vetrano, Domobar, etc.).

Attractions of the Alex include the easy switching between pour-over and plumbed-in, the rotary pump, the large-ish boiler and reservoir.

Concerns are primarily around build and long-term durability, given its relative newness and smaller user base.

It is reassuring to read the (mostly) positive appraisals of early adopters.  

I wonder:

-- Are there any hot-off-the-presses niggles or complaints that have emerged recently among owners that I may have missed?

-- Are there reasons to recommend against the Alex as a machine for a first time learner?

-- Is it a machine that does well with a 5-gallon water bottle (and pump) for a "plumbed-in" source?  

Any comments on these or other issues would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

David
JV
JV

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 7:10pm

hi david, i have the alex and so far all i have to say is awesome.  because i live in a small apartment i have my alex hooked up to a flojet on demand pump and a 5gallon water tank and it works perfect.  probably the other alex users have adjusted the pressure to around 1.1 or .9 but i left mine as it came from chris factory its about 1.4.  maybe ill change it but for now it works great.   also steaming milk is great...lots of steam action.  i recommend getting the one whole Expobar steam tip  http://www.wholelattelove.com/Expobar/expobar_steam_tip.cfm   it works perfect.

also here is  an alex forum
http://groups.google.com/group/izzo_alex?hl=en

here is also a great reviews on the alex
"Alex E61 Rotary Espresso Machine"

enjoy.  plus it has a rotary so thats a plus and a water tank...wooo hoo

cheers
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex by Izzo  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414300918579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+