Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus quality and reliability.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus quality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
davidc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:14am
Subject: Brewtus quality and reliability.

I am going to get a double boiler. Had decided to get a La Spaz 2, but plumbing in is to big an issue. Likely going Brewtus 2. Had heard some quality control issues earlier, long term satisfication improving?
 View Profile Link to this post
scottyg514
scottyg514
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano, la...
Grinder: Macap m4 stepless doser
Roaster: Iroast 2
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:42am
Subject: Re: Brewtus quality and reliability.

Don't let the plumbing in put you off.

I plumbed my machine in 10 minutes.

If your ordering from Chris Coffee, they include a plumb in kit that makes it easy.

Just simple compression fittings.

If you have a water source, it is well worth the little hassle.
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2007, 4:21pm

Here in Australia there have been QC problems with the internal hoses popping off their fittings, the screw in the OPV popping out before dialling it down to an acceptable pressure and the temperature controllers failing.  The hoses and OPVs haven't been as problematic on the other expobar machines, so presumably it was just a bad batch.

I had a friend who owns a brewtus over last week and he commented that the flush routine for my HX was about the same as for his brewtus.

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fredfal

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea 1EE
Grinder: K10 WBC
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Bodum pour-over
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2007, 7:41pm

Hey David,

I've got a Brewtus II and have had it for about a year and a half.  I'm pretty happy overall with it.  The learning curve was pretty easy, as temp control is one variable you don't have to worry about as MUCH as with an HX.  If you're looking for a machine that can steam and brew at the same time back to back shots (about 20 per hour), it's pretty good.  No reliability problems yet.

Hope this helps,
-Fred
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrivateShrink

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Macap M4
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 4:56am

"Pretty good" for such an expensive machine??? I'd want to hear that it was fantastic. Why isn't it?
MarkPod
MarkPod
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BrewtusII
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 5:59am

Luca Said:

I had a friend who owns a brewtus over last week and he commented that the flush routine for my HX was about the same as for his brewtus.

Cheers,

Luca

Posted April 12, 2007 link

This statement seems a bit misleading.  An HX flush both warms the group and purges the HX of overheated water.  Failure to flush enough will lead to brew water that is too hot (bitter shot); flushing too much will lead to brew water that is too cold (sour shot).  One needs to either use some kind of temp probe to get to know the range of ideal flush amounts for their HX machine, or just spend some time making shots with it to get to know how it responds.  A DB flush warms the group, and that is it.  Once you flush 2-3 oz, you are at brew temp.  On a Brewtus, the brew water will slowly increase in temp as you flush more, since the brew boiler is fed hot water by an HX in the steam boiler.  By the way, I notice that Teme claims that even his GS/3 requires a warming flush.  So, while the flushes are similar in that every home machine requires that water be drawn from the group before  brewing the first shot in a series, that is about the extent of the similarity.

PrivateShrink Said:

"Pretty good" for such an expensive machine??? I'd want to hear that it was fantastic. Why isn't it?

Posted April 13, 2007 link

I've had my BrewtusII for almost a year and a half, and it has been fantastic.  It does take temp management out of the equation for most home usage situations - set the temp, flush 2oz, and you are there.  Dialing in a fresh roast is a piece of cake, and allows the user to focus on issues like dose and distribution, and to easily taste what changes in those variables are doing.  Read Abe's review on H-B if you are really interested, and take a look at some of the pourn and videos from Brewtus users.  I think you will see that it is not difficult to get stunning results in the cup.

Mark
Pete

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 7:10am

I'm a big fan of the Brewtus, and highly recommend it.  I've got the original model.  Never had a maintenance problem with it.

I can get incredible shots (a few), very good shots (most), good shots (many), and merely drinkable shots (a few).  I very, very rarely ever have to throw away a shot.  I think the quality variation has to do with my barista skills, and not with the machine, because when I pay extra attention to distribution I get consistently high quality shots.  The only time I ever have to throw out a shot is when my grind setting is off-- this sometimes happens on the first shot with new beans.

The flush is mindless.  I just run the flush while the beans are grinding, until the cup is full.  I don't ever "steam and brew at the same time", I can't comment on it.  My routine includes sweeping up loose grinds on the kitchen counter while monitoring the shot, so I keep myself busy.  Steaming milk is such a delicate process, I don't like to divide my attention while I'm doing it.  For cappas, I steam immediately after I brew, and never worry about temp since it's a double boiler.

Not having to think about temperature is a huge, huge benefit of the Brewtus, in my opinion.

Pete
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus quality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3978099823)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+