Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia or Solis SL70?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia or Solis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Elankat

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Miss Sylvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bodum press pot & 1 cup pour...
Roaster: Heat gun/dog bowl
Posted Fri Jan 9, 2004, 5:13pm
Subject: Silvia or Solis SL70?

I don't drink espressos (honestly, I've never tried one...I'd probably love them though) and have zero experience with espresso machines. However, I happen to love cappas. If I bought a machine, I'd probably have a daily cappa or two and my hubby would have an occasional espresso. We don't really entertain. Occasionally, my mother in law visits and she's a "frappa-mocha-cino with sprinkles, nuts, and 6 packs of sugar" type of person (no exaggeration, I once saw her put 12 packs of sugar in an ice tea). We drink a lot of tea and I have a toddler, so the machine would also be used hot water, hot vanilla milk, and hot chocolate.

So, which would suit me better? A used Sylvia or a new (or refurbished) Solis. I know the Sylvia is the more popular machine and generally considered to be better. I'm just wondering how well it would suit a complete newbie who is doing primarily milk-based drinks and steaming. I had originally settled on saving up for a Solis, but used Sylvias seem to be widely available, bringing them to the same price point.

And I know that I'll probably be saving for a used Rocky or Cunill grinder. I'm just interested in hearing opinions on espresso machines. Please, no one suggest an HX machine. I'd love an Escobar or Isomac, but I simply don't have that much to spend on a machine. I'll be stretching pretty thin to get a Solis or Silvia.

Any advice or random thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
dsharp88

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, 1-cup Melitta
Roaster: Alpenrost, FreshRoast+,...
Posted Fri Jan 9, 2004, 7:13pm
Subject: Re: Silvia or Solis SL70?

I'd go with the Sylvia. It has a 3-way solenoid valve that the Solis SL_70 doesn't have. This means that when you unscrew the portafilter basket on the Sylvia, there won't be a build up of air pressure that can send coffee grounds spraying with the release of pressure.  If you need to save money you can get by with a Solis Maestro grinder, although you will eventually want to upgrade to one of the grinders you mentioned. I used a Sylvia and a Maestro until I upgraded both. I sold the Sylvia, but still use the Maestro grinder today for non-espresso coffee grinding.

- Donald Blum
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri Jan 9, 2004, 10:54pm

I think I will put my weight behind the Solis. It is overall a more forgiving machine for beginners/light users I think, with its pressurized portafilter and ability to use (gasp!) pods. I have used both, and am currently using a Solis SL-70. When we reviewed the Solis a couple years ago, I was impressed with a few things:

(a) how good the pod shots were
(b) how quiet the machine is. It barely hums (as opposed to Silvia's vibraphonic clatter)
(c) the steaming ability

Using it now, yes I do miss the 3-way solenoid, but I think the machine has way too much going gor it to discount it just for that. The Solis and Maestro is the ideal beginner setup I think.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Sat Jan 10, 2004, 8:08am

I'd second the SL70 vote, since it's a lot easier machine to use for a beginner. Once you're up to speed, it will make as good a shot as the Silvia's, albeit a little smaller (the baskets are a smaller size).

However, if you plan on getting into espresso as a hobby, and spending a lot of time learning, the Silvia is the better choice; since there's a huge base of hobbyists who have modified their Silvias extensively, to the point where they rival commercial machines. The Silvia is an "open-ended" hobbyist's machine, whereas the SL-70 isn't.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
Elankat

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Miss Sylvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bodum press pot & 1 cup pour...
Roaster: Heat gun/dog bowl
Posted Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:38pm

Thanks for the responses! I was originally leaning toward the Solis because it seemed to be best for my needs and experience. However, opportunity struck and I decided to get a used Sylvia and Cunill set up that  AuntConsuela offered in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. It just seemed like such a good deal and it's a machine that I can (hopefully) grow into. Plus, I'm a person who tends to try and find out everything I can about something I enjoy. She's including a CD-rom that shows how to use it. Between that, the big Sylvia fan base on these forums, and some local baristas, I'm hoping that I can learn how to handle Sylvia.

So, I'm sure I'll be back to bug people for more advice. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Sat Jan 10, 2004, 4:45pm

Elankat Said:

Thanks for the responses! I was originally leaning toward the Solis because it seemed to be best for my needs and experience. However, opportunity struck and I decided to get a used Sylvia and Cunill set up that  AuntConsuela offered in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. It just seemed like such a good deal and it's a machine that I can (hopefully) grow into. Plus, I'm a person who tends to try and find out everything I can about something I enjoy. She's including a CD-rom that shows how to use it. Between that, the big Sylvia fan base on these forums, and some local baristas, I'm hoping that I can learn how to handle Sylvia.

So, I'm sure I'll be back to bug people for more advice. :)

Posted January 10, 2004 link

Congrats. Randy Glass's is the learning the Silvia site.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia or Solis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344394922256)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+