Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
E61 Purchase Time
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 Purchase...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:26pm
Subject: E61 Purchase Time

Last chance to sway decisions.....

HX machines are created equal....
I believe that through these forums we have come to the conclusion that you can't go wrong buying a HX machine or an E61 grouphead..... so far

(not too many people have been disappointed)

I just want to see what people are buying these days... I know about 3 or 4 new machines have arrived since I ranted last time on UPGRADE fever....

Giotto Premium has started to sell
Expobar Lever has started to sell
ISOMAC has released a few more options
WEGA has become less of a rarity
La Valentina is still rare but well reviewed

I am going with the WEGA because the footprint is large so I have a storage room on top of my espresso machine.... it just works out functionally for my needs.... I think some of the others are more pretty but not BETTER

so I wanted to see what people were buying these days.... SINCE say SEPTEMBER if you have spent over 800 bucks for a ESPRESSO machine... what did you buy and if you had to pick 1 or 2 reasons.... SAY WHY....

help satisfy my curiosity...

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 1:09pm
Subject: Re: E61 Purchase Time

espressoDOM Said:

I just want to see what people are buying these days... I know about 3 or 4 new machines have arrived since I ranted last time on UPGRADE fever....

Posted January 20, 2004 link

Hi Dom,  First of all belated congratulations on the upcoming domestic changes :)  We all looked at your upgrade fever with interest.  You articulated the agony some others were feeling at the time.  You asked a lot of the same questions that I had going through my head... who would be the best candidate for replacing Silvia?  I went for the Giotto Premium, and so far I'm very happy.  I'm obviously on a learning curve at the moment (with the Mazzer Mini as well), but things are looking (and tasting) good.  The steaming power is in a whole different league from Silvia.  I'm getting pretty consistant shots and seem to have the hang of the cooling head flush.  I'm going to have to re-learn my rituals as tamping seems to be less of an issue with the E61.  I seem to have fallen into the "overfill and use a light, levelling tamp" school at the moment.

I tend not to put anything on the reservoir cover, so the space on the top is just about enough for the Aliens, a couple of small shot glasses and the 4oz measuring glass.  I guess I will use the whole top when I plumb it in... but at the moment the cover comes off quite a lot to re-fill (due to the flushing and the wife using the hot water tap for her tea).  Seeing your thought process regarding the amount of space on top of the Wega, I think you would have been quickly frustrated with any standard sized pour-over.

Cheers & Best of Luck
Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 1:55pm

thanks for the congrats....
I was overwhelmed this weekend when we sat on the couch discussing wedding issues.. dresses...colours...locations...guests...yadda yadda....yikes... it reminded me of upgrade fever....

and how over the top that process got for me...

I can honestly say that I considered every major machine that anyone bought on this website...

I contemplated writing an article and seeing if Mark got a kick out of it.... It took that much effort....

All things remaining equal it had to come down to something as simple as how much stuff can I fit on top of it.  Wega is built a bit more like a commercial machine in that there is a lot of surface area on the top...something like 2 dozen espresso cups fit on top of there.... (I asked espresso parts....as well as the price point)

I know I would be happy with any of the machines... but I had two criteria that became specialized to me....
1) the need for storage space for all my CC (coffee crap)
2) the need to get a machine that wasn't the status quo in espresso equipment... I just like to march to my own drum....  

I would have bought an Astro G to buy American if I thought it was worth the dough.... at this time...

I know upgrade fever is not over for me... but until I buy a HUGE LM machine for the coffee bar in the home of my dreams I probably won't need another machine...

I like to incite conversation to learn more about my hobby of choice.....I am starting to do that now for home roasting...as one quest ends another quest must begin

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
SquareOne

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea / Saeco Magic
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo . Solis...
Drip: Mr. Coffee Thermal Gourmet
Roaster: Fresh Roast +
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 3:07pm

espressoDOM Said:

2) the need to get a machine that wasn't the status quo in espresso equipment... I just like to march to my own drum...

...and that is the way to go !
grillroaster
grillroaster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 3:55pm

e-Dom,

I've been reading/researching E61's too for a couple months.  Even went through a bout of wanting a 2-group commercial machine for awhile and came to my senses.  I thought you'd already settled on the Wega before the end of the year?  Having looked at the Wega myself, there was something unique about their boiler that didn't jump out at first from the specs.  The boiler is a double-HX design with a heat exchanger for both the steam and hot water.  I think that's a neat design compared to other HX boilers, but can't say for sure that it matters since I don't have any comparison data.

I think Chris Coffee has a new machine or two coming at the end of this month, but don't know what they are yet. Seem to recall reading that on his site and want to see what else is on the horizon.

Just for grins and something really different, check out the Wega "Venus" at the site below:

click here

Rick Waits
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 4:01pm

don't get the Astra.
Michael_Teahan
Michael_Teahan
Expertise: Professional

Vac Pot: Vintage for collecting only
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 4:42pm

Make sure the e61 has the pre-infusion chamber on the bottom (blah, blah, blah . . .)

The solenoid would be on the right and the chamber on the bottom.  I like the manual heads, personally, as they are old school.

E61's come with and w/out, so ask.

Michael
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 5:19pm

texinga Said:

e-Dom,

I thought you'd already settled on the Wega before the end of the year?  Rick Waits

You are correct sir... Wega is my choice but for kicks I wanted to see what the forum thought of the recent batch of NEW machines.... as well as just see what is the new TEA... bc when I first got upgrade fever TEA was the main love interest of the forum... I almost got a Millenium just to be different... then there was Dan and his love for LaV.....

Expobar Giotto Premium made a good run at being number one but something about the Wega rang true... and a few people have bought the machine since then and no disappointments that I have heard about....

I am excited...to be done with my case of upgrade fever so I can focus on improving my coffee skillz

SilentBob

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: Cory Electric Auto
Drip: Manual pour-over
Roaster: Whirley-Pop
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 5:33pm

You sound kind of like all my friends who ask me for advice on buying computers - I usually tell them:

"If you wait long enough, the computer you want today will eventually be FREE!"  Then I tell them to just buy something and stop bothering me...  but I'm enjoying your indecisiveness, Dom, makes my waffling over what to buy seem like a slam-dunk decision!
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2004, 5:48pm

i think the funniest part of my making the decision... is I saw the Wega first.... because I was pretty loyal to espressoparts early on being one of the only West Coast distributors of quality equipment online..... so I saw the Wega and liked it... but in an effort to explore other options I got lost in the details.... only to find  me looking @ buying what I first thought I would buy.  

Two reasons I can think of off hand why I don't already have it....

1) getting engaged I had to think thru what I was saying to my fiance spending 1000+ bucks right in her face like BAM....  (so I chose to save up and get creative so she could get to the point where she actually SAID ... buy the D* Thing....hehehe
(I actually laughed liked that)

2)no one really had a Wega which forced me to look hard at whether it was LEAP I wanted to take alone... (even alt.coffee didn't have much in the way of information... SCARY 1400 JUMP....)

Now I am comfortable in my decision even if I get proven wrong I looked at all the angles...

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 Purchase...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429394006729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+