Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Starbucks Sirena Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 42 of 44 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveZ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S27
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 9:17am
Subject: Re: The Starbucks Sirena Thread

Bonsai,

I used a Sirena for several years. This last Christmas I switched to a Rancilio S27 that I rebuilt. What a difference!

Removing the rubber pressurized portafilter parts, using fresh roasted beans, good grinder (Vario for me too), and a flush to heat everything up helped me pull some decent shots. The Sirena is not a forgiving machine but you can learn some good leasons.

Steaming milk is even tougher to get right. The thermo block tends to produce very wet steam. My best results were achieved when the machine was well heated and I purged the steam for a minute or two to start. Plugging the little hole on the panarello tip help too.

I would not be so concerned about losing the other web site.  There is plenty to learn here!
 View Profile Link to this post
lifecomm
lifecomm
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbucks Sirena
Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 5:59am

What a great thread! I got my Sirena back two years ago, Christmas, from my then SB-employed daughters. But I only used it a few times and was never able to figure out what and what not to do. And, of course, my two daughters used SB's automatic machines and only really help with frothing milk - although, I must say, I've learned a few tips on that here, too! Last night I was able to make two excellent cappuccinos (using the rubber plate thingy). Soon, I will locate a good local roaster and acquire a tamper and move to the next level of coffee delight.

I've decided to use my Sirena as a learning machine and wait for a better one to come along at a good price used. I happened to come across this one pictured. But I cannot identify the model - it is any good? Thanks!

lifecomm: ContiEspressoMachine.jpg
(Click for larger image)
forkshen

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 1:00am

I have a question about descaling
I am following the instructions in the manual, but I stuck at step 2:

"Remove the single screw holding the flat, round screen underneath the brew head (13). The water will now
be able to dispense in one solid stream. Place a container under the brew head (13) and another container
under the steam wand (3). "

I removed the screen under the brew head. But there's no water coming through the brew head. The machine is on and the water tank is full. Can someone tell me what could be the problem?

Thanks
chasemonster
chasemonster

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 8:10am

forkshen Said:

there's no water coming through the brew head. The machine is on and the water tank is full.

Posted June 26, 2011 link

Did you press either of the two coffee buttons to activate the pump?
forkshen

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 9:05pm

chasemonster Said:

Did you press either of the two coffee buttons to activate the pump?

Posted June 26, 2011 link

I tried two things:
  1. press a coffee button without power on. I did not hear the pump getting started, and no water came through.
  2. press the power button to turn on the machine. Then, it started heating, and the coffee buttons started blinking. I still could not get the water out by pressing the coffee button, until it reaches the temperature. But, the machine should stay cool during the descaling, right?
chasemonster
chasemonster

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011, 1:45pm

Honestly, I do not have one of these machines, but shouldn't you be able to turn on either of the brew buttons before they stop blinking?
What about the little water light beneath the gauge, is that blinking, too?
forkshen

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011, 8:30am

chasemonster Said:

Honestly, I do not have one of these machines, but shouldn't you be able to turn on either of the brew buttons before they stop blinking?
What about the little water light beneath the gauge, is that blinking, too?

Posted June 27, 2011 link

The water light is off. The brew buttons do not work when they are blinking...
chasemonster
chasemonster

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011, 9:55am

forkshen Said:

The brew buttons do not work when they are blinking...

Posted June 28, 2011 link

I guess that is the question, are they supposed to work when they are blinkling, at least for descaling purposes.
It seems like from the descaling directions, that they are supposed to work while blinking.
Hopefully, someone can come along and answer this question and let you know.
Otherwise, if it were me, I would probably just go ahead and wait for the lights to stop blinking and then run the descaling solution continuously through for a while and then, while there was still about a half of a tank full of descaling solution left,  turn the machine completely off for a couple of hours. Then turn it back on and run the rest through but stop just before you reach the bottom of the tank and then remove the tank and fill it with fresh water, and run that through, etc.

Hopefully, someone can come along who still has one of these machines and let you know if this is acceptable or not. Good luck!
grant862

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 1:12pm

Has anyone looked into replacing the 'temperature gauge' on the sirena with a gauge that actual tells you something about the temperature the machine is at?

I haven't opened my machine up to look...but couldn't you simply replace the gauge?

Also, does anyone know if the Sirena has an OPV that you can adjust...is it this attached part?

If so...can this be adjusted to reduce the pressure by simply unscrewing it?

grant862: SCGP11001007-2.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 10:28pm

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that I am now a new Sirena owner.  I snagged one off of eBay for only $30!  I got it two days ago and, after some cleaning, it's looking and working great!  It's a step up for me, coming from a Starbucks Barista machine.  I love that fact that I now have a machine with a commercial size 58mm portafilter!  I pulled some pretty good shots today using  my Obel Bregant grinder (64mm burrs), better than what I ever produced with the Barista.  Plus it just looks so cool dripping out of the pour spouts!  I also swapped out the panarello with the steam tip from an old Saeco Magic Deluxe super-auto that I got off of CL for $35.  I didn't care for the panarello at all and I was not use to using one as the Barista just has a plain steam tip.  I plan on fixing it someday down the road as it has a leaking boiler but for now I am using the Magic's steam tip on the Sirena and it's working great.  I am shocked at how silky my microfoam is now compared to the Barista.  The inside of the Sirena is pristine and I took the opportunity to address the issue of the kink in the steam house (I don't want mine to develop the leaking that most Sirena's get over time).  I gradually rounded out the tube instead of keeping the hard-turn kink so hopefully there will be less pressure on that part of the tubing.  Are there any current Sirena owners out here?  Has anyone ever installed a PID on one?  I would love to mod my Sirena to get the most out of it as I think this is the machine I will be using for awhile now, at least until next Christmas when Santa brings me a Breville DB or a NS Oscar!  Here's some pics:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9595/sirena2.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/404/sirena4.jpg

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 42 of 44 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.480541944504)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+