Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
STEAMING MILK VS FROTHING
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > STEAMING MILK VS...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alyoor

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 1:29pm
Subject: STEAMING MILK VS FROTHING

I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A ESPRESSO/CAPPUCCINO MAKER AND I AM WONDERING IF THE FROTHING WAND IS THE SAME AS THE STEAMING WAND.  COULD SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS CORRECT? THANK-YOU
 View Profile Link to this post
RoxieL
RoxieL
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: STEAMING MILK VS FROTHING

Yes.

Please use the REFRESH button on your browser - you've posted this question five times in the same section (last count).

Also, please take the caps off.  It's considered "shouting" on forums & therefore rude.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RoxieL
RoxieL

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 1:35pm

Oh, and welcome!

PS - you score extra points for having spelled 'espresso' & 'cappuccino' correctly!  :-)
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 2:08pm

Frothing and steaming are the different words for the same thing.

You made this post 5 times on one board, once on another, all in the wrong place, and I had to spend 10 minutes cleaning it up. So I've issued a strike against you; two more, and your posting privileges will be revoked. Please familiarize yourself with the board and it's rules before posting. Also, you can find answers to questions like these with a few minutes reading.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
alyoor

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 2:25pm

Jim you might want to try a little tact.  While I appreciate you replying to my post I did not appreciate your tone.  I made an honest mistake and I did not need a scolding.
HB

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 3:32pm

alyoor Said:

I made an honest mistake...

Posted January 27, 2004 link

No problem, I make mistakes all the time -- just ask my family and friends.  ;-)  

If you need help choosing the best machine for your needs, tell us a little more about your expected usage, previous experience, budget, and so on.  As for your original question, many use the terms "steaming" and "frothing" interchangeably.  If I wanted to be very precise, I would say that steaming = heating only, while frothing = heating plus introducing air.  A traditional latte is with steamed milk and a little foam while a cappuccino is traditionally 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 foam.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 5:23pm

dan_kehn Said:

If I wanted to be very precise, I would say that steaming = heating only, while frothing = heating plus introducing air.

Posted January 27, 2004 link

I'd say that is correct too. I steam milk for making hot chocolate, but I froth (make microfoam) when I'm making espresso drinks.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
alyoor

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 5:56pm

My budget is about 200 dollars or so. (That is Canadian)
I would like to be able to make cafe lattes,americanos etc.   I also enjoy flavored steamed milk and  I wanted to know if you need some other attachment other than the milk frother to create a steamed milk.  But I guess they are the same thing?  I am new to the world of specialty coffee drinks but am finding myself addicted to them eversince a coffeehouse opened in my tiny little town.  There is a DeLonghi 290 for sale for 129 cdn dollars not sure if this is a good deal or not or if it is even a good machine.  Any information you could give would be appreciated.  
Thank-you for your time

laura
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 7:26pm

Laura,

Many of the low-end machines have some sort of frothing device attached to the end of the steam wand.  While they do sometimes assist in introducing air (needed for froth), they are hard to control.  These devices are not found on the higher-end machines.  The attachment is usually removed easily.  I found a photo of this machine, and it looks like the typical "frothing tip".

I can't tell you if it's a good deal, but if your total budget is $200, I doubt you will do much better than this unless you find a better machine in a thrift store (I got my Coffee Gaggia for $15, but it needed work).

If you can answer Dan's questions, perhaps someone can help.

Good luck.
Jack

P.S. - I'd avoid trying to interpret someone's "tone" from a brief posting, especially when you don't know the person.  It's difficult enough to be correct and concise, and near impossible to convey "tone" (unless the writer resorts to "SHOUTING").  It's a great community here, and I think you'll find Jim and others to be most helpful and friendly.

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
alyoor

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2004, 7:52pm

thank-you for your help Jack.  I am researching what is the best to buy and am possibly looking at a starbuck barista.  A little pricey but maybe worth it??
Any input would be great.

thanks

PS.    Perhaps "tone" cannot be conveyed in a posting but I stand by what I wrote about using tact.  Mistakes happen and I did not mean to post my message 5 times.  Telling me to take the time to read through the boards instead of posting a question,  is not his concern.  I was looking for clarity on what I had already read.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > STEAMING MILK VS...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.452561855316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+