Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
pallen
pallen
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Veneli's Mini Pro II, Dienes...
Drip: Aeropress, Melitta
Roaster: RK Drum, Behmor 1600, Fresh...
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2008, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: I just de-pressurized my Barista Portafilter -- simple (pic)

I removed the pressurized device from my portafiler a while back and was pleased with the results. A couple of days ago I decided to take it a step further and cut the bottom out (I love dremel tools). Unfortunately, now espresso goes everywhere, it doesnt drip nicely from a single spot, it dribbles to the sides and comes down in multiple places covering an area larger than any of my cups.

Is this the results of my technique or can this happen on a home-made bottomless PF?
 View Profile Link to this post
LatteChic
LatteChic
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Barista Burr
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2008, 1:41pm

pallen Said:

I removed the pressurized device from my portafiler a while back and was pleased with the results. A couple of days ago I decided to take it a step further and cut the bottom out (I love dremel tools). Unfortunately, now espresso goes everywhere, it doesnt drip nicely from a single spot, it dribbles to the sides and comes down in multiple places covering an area larger than any of my cups.

Is this the results of my technique or can this happen on a home-made bottomless PF?

Posted March 9, 2008 link

Hi pallen; I'm new too :)

I know it seems that I'm being repetitive but this link discusses bottomless PF's, and how they can expose poor grind and tamping.

Hope this helps,
LatteChic

"I love being a Stay-at-home Latte-maker;  I mean, Home-maker!"
pallen
pallen

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Veneli's Mini Pro II, Dienes...
Drip: Aeropress, Melitta
Roaster: RK Drum, Behmor 1600, Fresh...
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2008, 4:30pm

yeah, I've been reading on how to read your bottomless PF - looking for tiger-striping, etc, that's what inspired me to do this. I haven't come accross one just making a complete mess yet though - I'll keep digging. I know I'm getting some nasty chanelling, I'm sure its all related. I just hope the answer isnt a finer grind, I'm already so fine I get small amounts of sludge through in my espresso.

Edit: I think I found it. Its under "System Meldown" when everything goes wrong on this page, lol. Looks like I hae some work to do.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I would have never seen this without my bottomless PF, though. I'll take this as an opportunity to learn.
TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 7:19am

6 months ago I got a used Barista, and I recently just de-pressurized the PF.   I went to home depot and picked up some lock washers (size 10), and replaced the round insert washers that the screws go into.  Works perfectly and now the pf does not rotate at all.  Easy and cheap!

If there are any other active Barista machine owners out there, I would love to know about other tips/tricks for getting the most out of this machine.

--David
Rideoften

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 2:14pm

I'm happy to see so many people enjoying their Starbucks Barista machines. I used mine for almost 10 years before upgrade fever set in. Here is a useful link to help keep your machines maintained and functioning well.
Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

Enjoy,
Mike
toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 3:34pm

Using the Saeco Aroma (close enough). I put temp probe on the exterior of the boiler to make temp surfing easier. Makes it much more simple to get consistency. That aside, a good grinder and good fresh beans are all it takes. I've given some thought to a momentary switch for ultimate steaming control but have not gone there yet.
LatteChic
LatteChic
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Barista Burr
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 5:15pm

TriHard Said:

6 months ago I got a used Barista, and I recently just de-pressurized the PF.   I went to home depot and picked up some lock washers (size 10), and replaced the round insert washers that the screws go into.  Works perfectly and now the pf does not rotate at all.  Easy and cheap!

If there are any other active Barista machine owners out there, I would love to know about other tips/tricks for getting the most out of this machine.

--David

Posted February 24, 2011 link

Hey David, this reply helped me more than anything I read. click here  Good (fresh) beans, tamping technique, and grinder is a given too.

I would like to know more about your lock washers . . . got any pictures?

"I love being a Stay-at-home Latte-maker;  I mean, Home-maker!"
TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 12:09pm

Hi LatteChic,

Here is a picture I found online of what the washer looks like:

<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=lock+washers+%2310&hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=3&biw=1212&bih=790&bav=on.1,or.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3047309004491611063&sa=X&ei=-0FtTd4QxICUB9HvyMoE&ved=0CHoQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers>

As I said, I bought mine at Home Depot for $1 (bag of 30 I believe).  My PF is at home or I would show you a picture of what it looks like, but you will get the idea just looking at the washer.

As for the link you said helped, it basically says that you push the steam button in, and once lit, then you depress and pull a few shots of water and then immediately pull the shot of espresso.  Do you actually do this procedure and you think the shots come out better than waiting for the (grind) light to come back on?

I am getting my new grinder tomorrow (A Rocky -- it is the nicest thing I could afford), and I'm hopeful that it will make a nice difference.

My big issue is with frothing the milk.  I have scoured the Internet for ideas/advice, and the best thing I have found so far is the following utube video:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDXnaB1FQc>

It actually shows someone using this machine to do a great latte.  It is unique in that he doesn't actually advocate moving the wand around much.  He doesn't do anything special about the boiler temperature that I have read about on one of these forums.  Any experience out there in this regard would be appreciated.

Thx!
--David
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.419306993484)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+