Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
mazzer mini mod ?
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > mazzer mini mod...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
nmayweather

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 11:43am
Subject: mazzer mini mod ?

its been 2 years since i've looked into this:

has anyone sucessfully converted a mazzer mini to doserless yet?  i know there are kits for the major.  and i know people always want to convert a mini.  wondering if anyone has been sucessful yet.  i'm sick of my doser.
 View Profile Link to this post
Bobcat

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Brewtus II/ Conti Xeos /...
Grinder: Simonelli MDX / Mazzer mini...
Drip: Bunn / Technivorm
Roaster: Hearthware hot air (early...
Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 3:02pm
Subject: Re: mazzer mini mod ?

Yes, did mine last month and LOVE it. Clean-up is now a breeze and it looks great too. If you grind every shot fresh as you go, it's the best thing ever. There's virtually no clumping and almost nothing sticks to the inside of the funnel. A quick swipe around the funnel with a grinder brush when you're done and it's clean. The parts all came from Espressoparts.com, including a stainless funnel, (not the bag-clip type), a foam gasket, and a stainless plate to cover the open area behind the doser. The lid from the doser fits fine on the new funnel. You do have to drill a couple of small holes in the grinder body to attach the cover plate with screws, (included), but otherwise it's a very simple operation. The screws they provided are tiny and I snapped one in half trying to cut threads with it. Had to re-drill and use larger screws. Just don't try to force them too hard and you'll be able use the ones they provide. The stainless steel is good heavy weight material and it's polished to shine like chrome. It's kind-of pricey, (it think it was $55), but well worth it in my opinion.

Bob Von Kaenel
Brewster's Coffees
Lincoln, Nebraska
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 5:22pm

Your comment about the clumping is the exact opposite of what I have seen. Most of the doser-less modís spew bolder sized clumps. If you whack the doser as you grind, the doser vanes add agitation and help to break up the clumps.

The doser vs doserless argument has been going on for years, and many have gone from doser, to doserless and back again. I donít mind the doser, in fact I prefer it, my Mazzer and Cimbali only require a quick brush or two second purging grind to rid any stale grinds.

Look at John's Banish Uneven Extractions with the Weiss Distribution technique for the Mazzer clump monster.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
Bobcat

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 7:21pm

Cannonfodder,
I can't speak with any knowledge about other doserless set-ups. The one pictured in the link is very different from mine and this may be the reason for our varying opinions. I get as little, or less, clumping now than I did with the doser. My main issue with the Mini's doser was that I just couldn't get it clean enough to suit me unless I spent at least a couple of minutes brushing and flipping the lever about 50 times. Excellent link btw, the W.T.D. works very well indeed.

Bob Von Kaenel
Brewster's Coffees
Lincoln, Nebraska
bigjp

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm KBT741 ,FP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 5:40am

cannonfodder Said:

my Mazzer and Cimbali only require a quick brush or two second purging grind to rid any stale grinds.

Posted May 17, 2006 link

Now if only there was a way to fit the Cimbali doser on the Mini.;-)  I love my Mini, but the Cimbali doser is sooooooooo nice!
JacobS
JacobS
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: Probat '73 RE 1 Sample...
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 6:19am

Clumps? What clumps?

JacobS: mezzer-fan.jpg
(Click for larger image)
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 11:35am

i don't care about clumps.  what i do care about is mess

the mini doser is messy.  all dosers are messy.   stuff goes into the tray, stuff misses the tray
Theodore

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Elektra Nino,Macap CPS...
Drip: Krups.
Roaster: Gene Cafe roaster.
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 8:45am

Bobcat Said:

Yes, did mine last month and LOVE it. Clean-up is now a breeze and it looks great too. If you grind every shot fresh as you go, it's the best thing ever. There's virtually no clumping and almost nothing sticks to the inside of the funnel. A quick swipe around the funnel with a grinder brush when you're done and it's clean. The parts all came from Espressoparts.com, including a stainless funnel, (not the bag-clip type), a foam gasket, and a stainless plate to cover the open area behind the doser. The lid from the doser fits fine on the new funnel. You do have to drill a couple of small holes in the grinder body to attach the cover plate with screws, (included), but otherwise it's a very simple operation. The screws they provided are tiny and I snapped one in half trying to cut threads with it. Had to re-drill and use larger screws. Just don't try to force them too hard and you'll be able use the ones they provide. The stainless steel is good heavy weight material and it's polished to shine like chrome. It's kind-of pricey, (it think it was $55), but well worth it in my opinion.

Posted May 17, 2006 link

Hi.
I went to this page, Click Here (www.espressoparts.com) and saw that there several parts for this mod. Which of them you have chosen please?
Theodore.
Bobcat

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 2:25pm

You'll need the funnel, steel backing plate, and the foam gasket. The screen would be optional in my opinion. I don't like the screens because I want to be able to brush out the chute, but they might be nice if static cling is a problem. They included a couple of small screws to attach the backing plate when I ordered mine, but any small sheet metal screws would do. When I ordered mine I just called them and the man on the phone knew what I needed better than I did. I thought he refered to this as a kit but it doesn't look that way on the pages in your link. It's been about 10 months since I got mine so things may have changed.

Bob Von Kaenel
Brewster's Coffees
Lincoln, Nebraska
iginfect
iginfect

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 4:00pm

When I did this mod, I had to drill holes in the MM and tap them for the screws for the SS backing plate. You need the best drill bit to get into the MM body.

Marvin
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > mazzer mini mod...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430685997009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+