Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
shawn_low
shawn_low
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Promac PU/S aka Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gino Rossi CC45
Drip: Eva Solo Cafe, Bodum Double...
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008, 4:33pm
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL Rancilio S20 series Thread S24, S26, S27

ByronA Said:

Good deal Shawn!

I had troubles getting good extractions from mine until I started to do longer cooling flushes. Now, I flush at least 8 oz before pulling a shot, and I give a short flush in between shots. I find the HX heats it up very very quickly, so the cooling flush is really important.

Steaming was a little trick to learn. It is very fast! Mine has a 3 hole tip that isn't changeable, but once I refined my technique for the machine, it does great milk now. I found it easiest to get the feel for it but sort of bobbing my milk jug slightly up and down during stretching. Eventually, I developed the feel for where to put the tip. Once stretching is complete, I lower the tip a tiny bit more until the milk reaches about 140 dCF. Any more and it heats the milk up too fast.

Posted March 26, 2008 link

I picked up the Promac machine over the weekend. It was in fantastic shape. The previous owner had barely used it. According to the serial number, it was built in May 2001. I took off the top cover and checked inside. Only slightly dusty but very clean and neat. The metal parts still had that slick 'new' out of box feel.

The only part that had issues was the shower screen which had old coffee oils in it. I cleaned that and backflushed the grouphead with coffee detergent. I've attached a photo.

It does need a cooling flush (so *this* is what a water dance means!) before and between shots. I've also found that I had to dose up a little more than for the Silvia if not I will get an underextraction and a wet-ish puck. Using a Mazzer Mini.

The steam tip is not impressive though. I've found the steam pressure to be too weak from the stock tip (three holes). It doesn't give me enough power to create the whirlpools needed to massage the milk for good microfoam. Anyone have any tips? Is the tip interchangeable? If so, what have people used?

I am going to build a pressure guage and check the pressure coming out of the machine and see if that needs to be changed to 9 bar.

shawn_low: 29032008637 (Small).jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Hemlock932

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008, 4:36pm
Subject: OPV adjustment and beyond

Many thanks to cjbrubaker! His note about the OPV adjustment led to a solution for the leaky S27 I've written about earlier.

My fix required a little more than simply tightening/loosening the valve. I tried that but it didn't help. I actually took the valve apart (there is a spring in there and a valve with a small washer that looks like it can be replaced) and then reseated it. This worked perfectly for my S27. One of these days I'll see if I can't find a washer to replace the one there, but for now all is well.
 View Profile Link to this post
jacbri
jacbri
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:18am

cjbrubaker Said:

S20 series OPV adjustment

I thought that the S20 series machines had a non-adjustable OPV, but Devon at Espressoparts NW clued me in to the fact that you can adjust the OPV of S20 series machines!

Here's a pic of my S24's OPV, after removing the 2 right-hand body panels.

If you tighten the circled nut, the output pressure increases, and if you loosen it the pressure decreases. With two adjustable wrenches and about 5 minutes work I successfully brought my S24 from 12 bar to 9 bar!

I measured the pressure with a home-made pressure gauge (200psi plumbing gauge + 3/8 to 1/4 female-to-female pipe fitting, screwed on to stock PF and sealed with teflon tape.)

Thanks to Devon for talking me out of a Silvia OPV, and to Rancilio for robust design!

Posted March 27, 2008 link

My machine did not come with the above OPV going to the drip tray, seems I have the original Italian version without the OPV
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:22am

shawn_low Said:

I picked up the Promac machine over the weekend. It was in fantastic shape. The previous owner had barely used it. According to the serial number, it was built in May 2001. I took off the top cover and checked inside. Only slightly dusty but very clean and neat. The metal parts still had that slick 'new' out of box feel.

The only part that had issues was the shower screen which had old coffee oils in it. I cleaned that and backflushed the grouphead with coffee detergent. I've attached a photo.

It does need a cooling flush (so *this* is what a water dance means!) before and between shots. I've also found that I had to dose up a little more than for the Silvia if not I will get an underextraction and a wet-ish puck. Using a Mazzer Mini.

The steam tip is not impressive though. I've found the steam pressure to be too weak from the stock tip (three holes). It doesn't give me enough power to create the whirlpools needed to massage the milk for good microfoam. Anyone have any tips? Is the tip interchangeable? If so, what have people used?

I am going to build a pressure guage and check the pressure coming out of the machine and see if that needs to be changed to 9 bar.

Posted March 30, 2008 link

Lower the boiler probe for more steam output, check temp of machine (I used a foam cup and thermometer) and adjust pressurestat
cjbrubaker

Espresso: Rancilio S24, Silvia PID,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type B
Vac Pot: Yama 4-cup
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2008, 6:32am

As requested, here's how to change the dosing on an S27, which I would bet is really similar to how to change the dosing on an Epoca E-1, but feel free to correct me.

These are from p87 of the S20-series manual; I have the pdf - it's free on the internet but I forget where. If you send me an email I'll happily forward it on to you.

Here are the directions:

1. ADJUSTMENT AND SETTING OF THE DOSE (where available)

9.1. Models S27 - MIDI DE - TECNA DE - SYSTEM DE

It is possible to adjust the dose of coffee and hot water dispensed by electronically controlled models.

9.1.1. Adjusting the dose

The quantity of coffee and hot water dispensed can be adjusted using the button panel or the hot water controls.

1 Press the button E on any button panel and hold it down for 8-10 seconds until water stops flowing from the dispensing unit and the led of the continuons button on the first button panel on the left begins flashing.

2 It is necessary to act as to make 1 or 2 cups in order to reach the correct coffee amount adjustment in the cup.

3 Put the filter-holder (with ground coffee) on the left unit and the cup under the spout.

4 Operate the selected button (i.e. button A for one small cup).

5 One the required coffee amount in the cup has been reached, press the stop button E. Coffe will stop pouring and the microprocessor will store the dose.

6 Press the continuous button E again; the led will go out and the machine will store the new quantity.

7 Make the coffee and check the cup amount in order to check that programming is correct.

If some doses have to be changed (B-C-D), once at point 5 repeat the instructions in points 3-4-5 for each dose, remembering to use the filter-holder with relevant filter and freshly ground coffee.

Then carry out point 6 and repeat point 7 to check all changed doses.

If all units are to be programmed with the same doses, the selection of coffee doses is finished. If the dosage of another unit is to be changed (1-2-3-4 doses), proceed as indicated in the above-mentioned point 1-7, using only the button panel of the selected unit.

9.1.2. Adjusting the quantity of hot water

Proceed as follows:

1 Press the continuous E button on any button panel and hold down for 8-10 seconds until water stops flowing from the dispensing unit and the led of the E button on the first button panel on the left starts flishing. The machine is ready to accept quantity variations.

2 Put a cup or a jug to receive the water under the water spout.

3 Push the delivery button 8.

4 Once the required amount is reached, press the button 8 again. Water will stop pouring and the microprocessor will store the dose.

5 Once adjusted, press the stop-continuous button E on any button panel; the led will go out and the machine will store the new quantity.

6 Pour out doses of hot water to check that programming is correct.

WARNING!

The amount of hot water dispensed can be controlled by proceeding as follows:

● press the hot water control button 8 and hold down for at least 4 seconds; when the button is released, the machine will dispense water continuously.;

● to manually stop dispensing, press the water control button 8 again when the required amount has been dispensed.

To stop dispensing the measured amounts of hot water, press the water control button 8.
cjbrubaker

Posted Sat Apr 5, 2008, 6:49am

New Steam Wand Tip!

My S24 came with a knurled 3-hole steam tip, which I just replaced with the "Rancilio 4-hole commercial steam wand tip" from espresso parts- This is a highly recommended upgrade!

WOW! I mean WOW! This sucker cut my frothing time more than in half! It's a whole different machine- now I understand the phrase "steams like a locomotive!" Too bad it's out of stock now. There are other 4-hole tips available, but I can't comment on how they compare.

Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)
shawn_low
shawn_low
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Promac PU/S aka Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gino Rossi CC45
Drip: Eva Solo Cafe, Bodum Double...
Roaster: Popper
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008, 1:51am

cjbrubaker Said:

New Steam Wand Tip!

My S24 came with a knurled 3-hole steam tip, which I just replaced with the "Rancilio 4-hole commercial steam wand tip" from espresso parts- This is a highly recommended upgrade!

WOW! I mean WOW! This sucker cut my frothing time more than in half! It's a whole different machine- now I understand the phrase "steams like a locomotive!" Too bad it's out of stock now. There are other 4-hole tips available, but I can't comment on how they compare.

Posted April 5, 2008 link

I'm not too concerned with slow frothing with the knurled 3-hole tip, but rather the angle at which the steam shoots out. Hard to get a whirlpool going for microfoam.

Does this (extra steam power aside) help with how the milk is folded when frothing?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cjbrubaker

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008, 5:33pm

shawn_low Said:

I'm not too concerned with slow frothing with the knurled 3-hole tip, but rather the angle at which the steam shoots out. Hard to get a whirlpool going for microfoam.

Does this (extra steam power aside) help with how the milk is folded when frothing?

Posted April 8, 2008 link

Hey shawn_low-

I'm not really sure that the angle is that different, but the volume of steam coming out is so much greater that the 4-hole does a much, much better job of agitating and aerating the milk.

In relation to the angle again, the steam jets aren't angled such that, when viewed from the top, a circular whirlpool would form- from the top they form 4 spokes of a wheel, each coming straight out from the steam head. When viewed from the side, it looks like they're at about the same downward angle as the previous tip, but I haven't done side-by-side comparisons.

I'm not really sure how to gauge 'folding,' but that may just be my ignorance- if you can give me a better description I'll try to do a better job answering the question. :)
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:26am

Ill check out that tip, I think a few other places carry that same tip too, I always wanted to try the 4-H.  I currently have the 3 hole on the s26 I find its better to have the steam wand completely angled towards yourself (front left of machine) and have the tip close to the right side of the pitcher and near the surface to get the vortex action going, but I only do this once milk hits 100F.
B
jacbri
jacbri

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:30am

I have also heard of others making the diameter of the 3-hole tip larger to improve flow
showing page 6 of 26 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438001871109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+