Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
how to change gaggia classic steaming wand
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > how to change...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
raider1v1

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2008, 2:54pm
Subject: how to change gaggia classic steaming wand

So the turbofrother attachment on the gaggia classic is getting a bit old, and i have read the silvia steam arm will fit.  There are a couple of options that i have found so far:

1.  http://www.espressoparts.com/product/R_1054/R_1054__Rancilio_Silvia_Steam_Wand_Steamwand.html

2.  http://www.wholelattelove.com/Rancilio/silvia_steam_pipe.cfm

will either of these work?  and if so what do i need to change them out?
 View Profile Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Mon Aug 18, 2008, 11:28am
Subject: Re: how to change gaggia classic steaming wand

They both appear to be the same part, and I used the one from WLL on my Gaggia Evolution without much work at all.  If you're pretty sure it'll work on your Classic, the only thing I used is a small wrench to remove the old stock wand.  From there, I removed the original nut from the Gaggia that held the steam wand on to the valve, and used that with the Silvia wand.  I tried to test fit the wand in the Evolution and it did fit but was very tight, so I just used some fine sandpaper for metal work and scuffed some of the chrome from the very tip of the Silvia wand (the end that fits into the valve, not the steam tip).  It didn't need any additional o-rings or anything, and swivels smoothly and no leaks at all.  That's how I did my Evolution, but I don't know for sure that it'll be the same for the Classic - it should be the same procedure, but differences in the fittings based on the age of the machine could exist.  I wouldn't go back to the stock Gaggia wand after upgrading...it worked that well for me.
BANKO

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 20, 2008, 9:21am

Hello, just wanted to give some feedback on what I did on my Gaggia Classic.  I too was quite tired of using the turbo frother, so I bought the Silvia wand from espressoparts.com.  I had to remove the tip, the rubber insulator to get the Siliva clamping nut off this new wand since the clamping nut is too large to fit on the classic.  Once I removed the stubby wand off my classic, I test fit the new wand (minus the clamping nut) to confirm there we no sealing or fit issues.  I then removed the old stubby Classic wand and had to bend the wand to straighten the tube enough to fish the existing clamping nut off the wand.  I didn't plan on ever going back, so I didn't take care to preserve this wand.  Once I harvested the clamping nut off the old wand I put it on my the Silvia wand, tightened everything up then used some soapy water to push the insulator back on the wand, after that I fastened the tip to the end of the wand.  I then proceeded to test out the steam power.  Additionally I tried the single hole tip and also purchased a 3 hole tip from 1st Line Products.  Be aware though, the tip will cost you $4.95 + $10 + Shipping if you are a first time customer and have not purchased a Siliva from them.  You might be able to get a 4 hole tip cheaper from espressoparts.com

The one thing I noticed off the bat with this new wand was the increased volume when the tip was fully plunged to the bottom of my pitcher at the initial stages of milk steaming.  It was way too loud and resonated so much I thought something was indeed wrong.  I discovered that you don't want to plunge the wand much below the surface of the milk or the pitcher will act as an echo chamber, thus hurting your ears and bothering the neighbors :-)  I have been playing with this new wand for a few months and can get nice micro bubbles.  I happy to not hassle cleaning the silly turbo frother anymore :-)

Good Luck!

-Josh
raider1v1

Posted Wed Aug 20, 2008, 7:34pm

ok great, so either of them will fit it looks like.  I wont want to change the steam exit tip on the new wand.  

What i wanted to make sure of is that i didnt have to take apart the machine other than using a wrench to take off the wand.
Christo810

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:48pm

Raider, were you able to remove the wand off your Classic with getting inside the machine? I also want to replace my wand, but want to make sure I can get the old one off before I purchase the Silvia wand.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:05pm

Not Raider, but this thread is 2008.  The nut to loosen is at the wand, just outside the machine.  Take off the top and put a wrench on the inside nut.  I can't remember the metric size, IIRC it is the same as the outside?  The nut turned easily.  There is an O ring seal up in the machine so the nut does not have to be very tight.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

The far end of 49 inside the machine and the nut of the wand.

You could try turning the wand nut gently, and if it turns you may not need to get inside.  I was afraid to do that because of fear of putting torque on the tubing from the valve to the wand.  Mine actually turned easily.  Lifting the lid off and putting a wrench on the nut was quite easy.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > how to change...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380336046219)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+