Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
another 1st time buyer seeking advice
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > another 1st time...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hazmatt

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus 169DG
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 3:55pm
Subject: another 1st time buyer seeking advice

Hi -
I've been checking out this site and reading the forums, so I'm somewhat prepared to ask for this advice ;)  I've also read the buying guide on this site.  

I'd like to get an auto or semi-auto home espresso machine in the $150-250 range.  I have a Zassenhaus 169DG grinder that I got several years ago.  I haven't used it much since it's so much work for a pot of coffee.  However, I'm willing to give it a try for espresso shots.  I'd like to learn to make a great shot, but I don't expect to be upgrading to a more expensive machine anytime soon.  I'm willing to consider a refurb.  I like straight espressos and americanos so steaming is not that important.  I expect to be using 3-5 times a week.  I'd prefer one with fairly easy cleanup and not a huge counter footprint.  I do roast occasionally and intend to use those beans in my machine - would that make any difference?

The Gaggia Carezza seems like a decent choice.  I've seen several people recommending it here in the forums.  Do you think it's a good choice.  Are there others I should consider?

thanks in advance,
-Matt
 View Profile Link to this post
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 4:24pm
Subject: Re: another 1st time buyer seeking advice

You are certainly on the right track in thinking about a Gaggia. I haven't used any of the current models (mine is 19 years old) but I have heard mostly good things about them. The only negatives are the small boilers (larger boilers are well out of your price range) and some users aren't thrilled with the ergonomics of the Carezza. A better choice might be the Evolution or Espresso Pure.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 7:41pm

A Gaggia is a very good choice.  The Carezza was my first "real" espresso machine.  It does have some ergonomic issues such as a small drip tray.  Not much room for a cup, so a naked portafilter is a big help.

If you could find a used Gaggia Classic that would be better.  Search eBay.

Scott

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
hazmatt

Grinder: Zassenhaus 169DG
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 9:03pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

So it's reasonably safe to go with a used one?  The Gaggia machines hold up well then?  Are there specific questions that I might want to ask the seller?  Maybe about common things that wear or break easily?  Getting a used Gaggia Classic is definitely appealing.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:10pm

These guys have refurbished ones.

http://www.wholelattelove.com
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 17, 2008, 2:40pm

For your grinder, you might want to take a tip from Alton Brown's pepper grinder, he uses a cordless drill set to a slow speed to turn the shaft that the handle is on. Be careful not to go too fast or you will burn the beans but it would take the work out of the process anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > another 1st time...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354871034622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+