Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cleaning Silvia
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning Silvia  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
KPons

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Gevalia
Roaster: I wish
Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 10:48am
Subject: Cleaning Silvia

I tried to clean the grouphead of Silvia for the first time.  I've had her for almost 3 months & pull a double shot every day.

I removed the screw in the middle (it came out very easily).  Then I removed the screen.  However, I could not seem to remove the next piece (I think it's the inner brass dispersion plate).  Can you remove the dispersion plate to clean?  If so, how do you remove it.  Also, does Silvia have a heat-retaining brass disc?

Please help!!

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Cleaning Silvia

I believe you have gone as far as you can go without major disassembly.  I soak the screen and screw along with other small parts in Cafiza and let backflushing take care of the guts.

Also, I don't know anything about a heat retaining disc.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
korngold
korngold

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: WE Popcorn Pumper
Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 6:17pm

KPons,

Jim's right--you have hit brass at this point, and it's as far as you can go (without removing the group & disassembling).  Get a backflush disc and some solution to do the innards.  Good luck!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 6:30pm

KPons Said:

However, I could not seem to remove the next piece (I think it's the inner brass dispersion plate).  Can you remove the dispersion plate to clean?  If so, how do you remove it.  Also, does Silvia have a heat-retaining brass disc?

Posted March 8, 2004 link

There are three pieces that come off for cleaning: screw, dispersion screen, water jet breaker.  The last part is about the size of a quarter and is above the screen.  I cleaned Silvia regularly and it dropped out without problem.  I can't explain why it might be "stuck."

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bman

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 8:02pm

Hi, this thread is interesting for me, as I am expecting Silvia on Wednesday.  Folks at WLL stated that I should not backflush her at all.  I have no clue as to how to care for her yet.  I plan to use distilled water.  I have a product called Brew Rite made with sodium carbonate to remove calcium and other coffee oils etc.  Perhaps this may work. and folks at WLL said it should work same as Urnex.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Brad
cafewest_tech

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Mar 8, 2004, 9:35pm

Hi
  Cleaning of Silvia should be limited to cleaning of the dispersion screen and brew head gasket. Rancilio does not recommend that Silvia get backflushed at all.  I find that a small backflush a couple times per year with a limited pump time does wonders for the internal piping.  Limited means that the pump should never strain.  This puts too much pressure on the 3 way solenoid valve.  This can damage it and then you have to call the repair man.  Use a good espresso machine cleaner when you do a backflush, otherwise the backflush is for nothing.  You need to remove the oils and gunk that accumulate in the piping and solenoid valve.  Let the machine set between pump cycles and let the detergent do its job.  Once the discharge is clean, remove the portafilter and rinse. Then reinsert and backflush a couple more times to rinse the internal piping.
I don't recommend the distilled water. It is on the acidic side of the PH scale and can eat away at the softer metals in the boiler, over a period of time.  Also the taste of your espresso will be affected.  If you need to, good old bottled water is fine
KPons

Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Gevalia
Roaster: I wish
Posted Tue Mar 9, 2004, 6:21am

Thanks for the reply.  I purchased Silvia from Aabree.  I've also read of this website that Rancilio does not recommend backflushing at all.  Also, I'm deathly afraid to do it.  What is your opinion on using tap water with Rancilio's water softener in Silvia?  Where can I purchase a backflush disc?

Thanks to everybody who sent a message.....I really appreciate it.

Kathy
HB

Posted Tue Mar 9, 2004, 6:33am

KPons Said:

I've also read of this website that Rancilio does not recommend backflushing at all.

It is worth reading Randy Glass' Espresso! My Espresso! how-to pages, which includes instructions and caveats on backflushing Silvia.  I backflushed mine but never let the pump labor.  I've never heard any reasonable explanation of how this differs from pulling a ristretto, where the pump might labor hard for 20+ seconds, versus the 1-2 seconds of a backflush.  You can get a backflush disk from any espresso vendor (sometimes called a "blind basket" because there are no holes).

You need to know how hard your water is before deciding if a softener is necessary (and how often it needs to be recharged).  Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ is... well, insanely long.  You may want to skip to Section 4, WATER TREATMENT AND PREVENTIVE DESCALING FOR ESPRESSO MACHINES and then decide where to go from there.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
I_Need_An_Intervention

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008, 11:18am

HB Said:

There are three pieces that come off for cleaning: screw, dispersion screen, water jet breaker.  The last part is about the size of a quarter and is above the screen.  I cleaned Silvia regularly and it dropped out without problem.  I can't explain why it might be "stuck."

Posted March 8, 2004 link

I've brought this thread back to life because I need help with an embarrassing problem. Believe me when I say that I feel incredibly stupid asking this question: Which side of the water jet breaker should face the dispersion screen? I've tried both ways. I guess I need to be more observant when disassembling parts on Silvia.
earlds
earlds
Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008, 6:08pm

The jet breaker sits on top of the screen, flat side to screen,then the screw...Took me awhile to get this straight myself.....And Im not afraid to back flush either...

Bam.....

Don
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning Silvia  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415374040604)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+