Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
E61 head gasket won't go in all the way
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 head gasket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ecelis

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008, 10:15am
Subject: E61 head gasket won't go in all the way

I am having a very tough time installing a new head gasket in my Andreja Premium. I am almost positive that I have the right gasket (I bought it from Chris Coffee), although I noticed that it was slightly larger in diameter (1-2 mm) than the one that I removed (which was hard as plastic). I tried to put it in with the portafilter (first w/o a filter) and then I placed a filter. It barely goes to 6 o clock position and I notice a bulge in one side of the gasket, that I cannot push in. Should I turn the machine on so the heat makes the gasket more flexible? Or, should i remove it and apply some lubricant so it goes in easier?

I will appreciate any help.
 View Profile Link to this post
faaparasite

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: E61 head gasket won't go in all the way

I generally coat mine with a very thin layer of mineral oil before installation which helps quite a bit.

However it sounds as if you may have the wrong gasket if you are getting a bulge on one side.  It's very difficult to measure them with any degree of accuracy as even 1mm can make the difference between the right one and the wrong one.
onthego
onthego

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Sat Dec 6, 2008, 3:12pm

ecelis Said:

I am having a very tough time installing a new head gasket in my Andreja Premium. I am almost positive that I have the right gasket (I bought it from Chris Coffee), although I noticed that it was slightly larger in diameter (1-2 mm) than the one that I removed (which was hard as plastic). I tried to put it in with the portafilter (first w/o a filter) and then I placed a filter. It barely goes to 6 o clock position and I notice a bulge in one side of the gasket, that I cannot push in. Should I turn the machine on so the heat makes the gasket more flexible? Or, should i remove it and apply some lubricant so it goes in easier?

I will appreciate any help.

Posted December 6, 2008 link

Sounds like you are putting it in backwords, pull it out, flip it over and push it on.  It should go right in.  If it does not contact Chris' tech support.
Ed
klc

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sat Dec 27, 2008, 7:05am

I'm having the same problem with my Vetrano.
Did you get yours in?
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Dec 27, 2008, 7:16am

I wonder if the gasket is the wrong one.  I've taken the gasket out of my Anita and put it in both ways just fine without lube.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Dec 27, 2008, 7:21am

Had the same problem with an Isomac Tea gasket, where the bubble is i took a spoon and placed it between the edge of gasket and grouphead groove pushed in toward the groove and slid the spoon while pushing in with my finger to secure in place. Like putting a bike tire onto a rim.

Also my original gasket which i think was a 9mm locked in at 7 oclock. The new recommended size 8.5mm gasket locks in around 6 oclock.

WS
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:38pm

There's two thicnesses of gaskets, AFAIK.  8mm and 8.5mm.

Either would work, I think, in an e61 channel.  When I needed some gasket replacements for my Vetrano I believe Chris' recommended the 8.5mm when I asked.

From what you're describing I had the same trouble both putting the replacement gasket in and locking in the pf/basket after seating the gasket all the way.  A bit of lube helped getting the gasket in and pressing all over eventually got it seated.  With the 8.5mm gasket I can't lock in as far as I used to.  I'm thinking I originally had an 8mm gasket.

Sounds like you've got 8.5mm gasket replacments.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
klc

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:39pm

I ordered mine from Chris, for the Vetrano. We finally got it to go in after hours and I do mean hours of working at it. I was never so close to throwing a hammer at my "baby"! LOL I really thought I would lose my mind! I do think it is a thicker gasket and I can only get the portafilter to lock in at 6:30 if I really push it. My old gasket wasn't difficult at all to get out and even when new I had no problems getting the portafilter locked in.
I also ordered the temperature gauge, whatever it is called. I don't know if it is the gasket or the gauge, but my coffee is far better than it used to be. (I think it is both)
I always watched and timed carefully, but i was surprised at how off the temperature reading was!
Anyway, thanks as always for the replies.

Kim
(enjoying my coffee once more, even better than before)
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Dec 31, 2008, 2:12pm

I've replaced thousands of gaskets and sometimes they are easy and sometimes they are NOT!!

When removing an old one that is impossible to get out I use a thin screwdriver and a small hammer to "crack" the gasket. Then I pry it out, usually in pieces, with the same thin screwdriver. My first preference is a right angle pick if the rubber is still soft enough.

I always use a stubby, larger screwdriver to press the new gasket in place. I start by using my fingers to press it in the best I can, sometimes it will bulge on the outside edge so I take the screwdriver and push the edge towards the middle to slide it in. If that doesn't work I remove it, apply olive oil and try again. The flatest surface goes towards the portafilter, writing goes up. Once the gasket is in place I use the screwdriver to press firmly all the way around to seat it. You can use the portafilter handle a couple of ways, remove the filter insert and seat the gasket that way or place the handle in the head with one of the tabs outside the head and turn as far as possible. Repeat with the other side.

I do this for a living and have all the tools and ability but every now and then I run into a son-of-a-gun. Filthy, bruised, burned and battered fingers are pretty common in this line of work.  Hope this helps. Kevin
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 8:14pm

I have just replaced my grouphead gasket.  I ordered the replacement from the place where I bought my machine, but it wouldn't fit.  Upon Googling around I found not all E61 were created equal.  The second gasket (part #W556) I ordered from Espresso Parts snapped in place without too much of a fight.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 head gasket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414878129959)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+