Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners-Please speak up!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 20 of 23 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 12:56am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto Owners-Please speak up!

Bob_McBob Said:

I see where you are going from the description of the issue on the wiki.  I will check the next time it happens, but I got the distinct impression the humming was electrical and the motor was not actually starting, given the complete lack of noise and vibration.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

It's possible the pump has failed and jammed, or perhaps the motor, motors are not prone to failure on these machines used in a domestic environment.. However, if the pump chamber is empty and it spins against nothing, it is pretty much as you describe.... a vibration-less hum.
 View Profile Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 1:03am

DavecUK Said:

Test by running the pump on a cold machine and ensure water comes from the group, then lift the inlet tube out of the tank and hold upright whilst the machine fills, watch the water level in the tube, if it rises, then you need to clean the anti backflow valve.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

Could you please clarify this test description?  What do you mean by "whilst the machine fills"?  Cold machine, make sure water comes from group (turn off pump or not afterwards?), remove inlet tube and hold upright, then...

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MrShades

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 1:56am

Whilst I appreciate that the original intention of this thread wasn't for it to become the "Ask DaveC a technical question" thread, it does seem to have evolved that way - and as you've been a great help in the past can I ask another quick (related) question Dave?

I've noticed that sometimes, when I fill the tank in my Duetto (pretty much to the top) and then leave it for a while (ie it doesnt do this immediately or on every occasion) my wife will call me and say "There's water coming out of your coffee machine" - and I find that there is puddle of water underneath the machine, where it appears that the water tank has overflowed.

Reading your previous comment concerning the anti-backflow valve - is it possible that a clean of the anti-backflow valve will solve this problem also, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm guessing that it's doing it during a tank refill.

To put the issue into perspective - the machine is 14 months old, used for a couple of shots every day and it's probably done this two or three times in total. Right now my insurance policy is to fill the tank, but not to brim it.

Any pointers or assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shades
DavecUK

Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 3:36am

MrShades Said:

I've noticed that sometimes, when I fill the tank in my Duetto (pretty much to the top) and then leave it for a while (ie it doesnt do this immediately or on every occasion) my wife will call me and say "There's water coming out of your coffee machine" - and I find that there is puddle of water underneath the machine, where it appears that the water tank has overflowed.

Reading your previous comment concerning the anti-backflow valve - is it possible that a clean of the anti-backflow valve will solve this problem also, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm guessing that it's doing it during a tank refill.

Posted May 4, 2011 link

So many model revisions can't remember if yours vents from the expansion valve back to the holding tank, if not then 2 thru 4 don't apply).

1. could be your overfilled or spilled some and it's trickling out later
  2. Could be the expansion valve venting back to the tank and causing it to overflow (would happen usually when filling tank and warming machine  up from cold).
  3. Could be the expansion valve venting back to the tank because it's set incorrectly (e.g. less than pump pressure) and/or pump pressure too high. Expansion valve should be set at 12 bar.
  4. Could be expansion valve leaking
  5. Anti-backflow valve could be letting by, but unless  steam boiler on this is unlikely to push much water into the tank, I would not expect more than 10 ml.
  6. The water is coming from somewhere else, or does it NEVER happen unless the tank is filled to the brim.

The expansion valve will allow approx 35ml water to escape when heating from cold, if you did fill the tank, you would have to fill it so that another 35ml would cause it to overflow, for the problem to be cause by a properly functioning expansion valve that vents back to the tank and then only on a cold machine.
MrShades

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 5:44am

Many thanks for those pointers Dave... Yes, mine vents back into the tank (ie there's two pipes going into the tank).

It'd be great to catch it doing it - then it'd be pretty obvious whats happening, but your pointers will at least give me something to look for. (It's quite possible that it's the 35ml overflowing from the brimmed tank when cold and warming up).

I've certainly seen the drips left over from this 'leak' and they are coming from the back of the unit, directly under the tank.

Anyway - will keep an eye on it. Thanks again.
chriscoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 4:56am

The expansion valve on the Duetto II does NOT vent back to the water tank and has not on all production machine for the past year. I vents back to the drip tray in the right side. The second tube you see in the tank is from the top of the vacuum breaker valve not the expansion valve.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkCan

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 2:24pm

Mine does the same thing.  Water does come out of the long hose that fits in the water reservoir.  How do you clean the anti-back flow valve?

I have taken my machine in for service twice now.  The pump runs but there is no pressure to the group head (the guage measures zero).  The vendor can't duplicate the problem when the machine is in his shop so has been unable to fix the problem.  On occasion there does not appear to be pressure to the steam wand and the hot water valve.  Very frustrating.  

I googled the problem and there was at least one other owner that appeared to be experiencing similar issues.  

Any thoughts?  My warranty runs out in August and I want this fixed before then.
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 4:19pm

chriscoffee Said:

The expansion valve on the Duetto II does NOT vent back to the water tank and has not on all production machine for the past year. I vents back to the drip tray in the right side. The second tube you see in the tank is from the top of the vacuum breaker valve not the expansion valve.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

Posted May 9, 2011 link

Chris, the posters machine is 14 months old and a UK model, this makes it quite possible for it to be the expansion valve tube venting back to the tank. I am aware that the US models had the expansion valve venting to the drip tray for at least a year.

Dave
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 4:32pm

MarkCan Said:

Mine does the same thing.  Water does come out of the long hose that fits in the water reservoir.  How do you clean the anti-back flow valve?

I have taken my machine in for service twice now.  The pump runs but there is no pressure to the group head (the guage measures zero).  The vendor can't duplicate the problem when the machine is in his shop so has been unable to fix the problem.  On occasion there does not appear to be pressure to the steam wand and the hot water valve.  Very frustrating.  

Posted May 9, 2011 link

To take the second issue first: does the pump pressurise the system and push water out of the group when the machine is cold....if not you may have another problem?

Cleaning the anti-backflow valve is simple, but does involve removing about 3 or 4 fittings starting with the one connected to the pump and working your way towards the valve fitting. My prototype was not PTFE taped and it was difficult to break the thread-lock, I did recommend to Izzo they use PTFE tape in future to make this procedure easier. If it's thread-locked, use care when undoing not to damage anything, when refitting clean all the thread-lock off (careful to not let any get in the pipes or pump), then use PTFE tape to refit (usually 7 turns on a thread is sufficient and it should go the same way as the thread is tightened). remember, ff you do the PTFE right, tightening things very hard is unnecessary, just nipped up to be sure they don't vibrate loose on the pump and on the pipes enough to line them up. Be mindful of how much of the thread you tape, because as you tighten if the threaded end gets exposed in the fitting you risk bits of tape coming off.

Use this link to see how to clean the valve, which is quite obvious really...the machine was an Izzo Alex II, but the part is the same.

Click Here (coffeetime.wikidot.com)

P.S If you use the machine in a very hard water area and don't treat the water correctly then this problem will recur, regular de scaling of the brew path can help, but is quite aggressive and a PITA, plus will not always cure the problem. You could try a simple de-scale of the brew path first and see if that fixes it before disassembly This problem will occur on all rotary pumped tanked machines used in hard water areas, when plumbed it's not noticeable because of the positive pressure of the mains water supply. It is not a problem unique to the Duetto.
MarkCan

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 7:37pm

To answer your question - yes - when I turn the machine on cold the pump will push water through the group head.  Pressure measures around 9 bars.  Assuming I live in a hard water area - how often should I be de-scaling?  I was told 4 times per year.  I am using a product called "Ascor DC".  Is this a good product?  According to the instructions I need to mix the product with 1.5 litres of water then flush it through the system, 500 ml at a time in 2 mintue intervals.  

Should I set up a filtration system to improve the water quality?  Suggestions? Cost?

Sorry to be so naive but what is PTFE taped?  Is that the white teflon tape used by plumbers to help seal threaded pipes?

The long hose in my system does back-flow when the machine heats up.  Is that normal or should I be doing something about it?  

Sorry for the flood of questions but I am getting very frustrated with my machine's pperformance.
showing page 20 of 23 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.54955291748)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+