Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Super Auto Recommendation
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Super Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bbodnar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: De’Longhi EC 155
Grinder: De’Longhi DCG601
Posted Fri Aug 28, 2009, 11:39am
Subject: Super Auto Recommendation

Hello All,
    This is my first post, and I had a question. I am recently out of college and am in the market for a good super auto espresso machine. I currently use a separate machine and grinder. With a new schedule I would prefer a super auto machine. My price range is preferably under $900. I wouldn't need it to do anything except make great espresso and froth milk occasionally. I would like a nice thick crema and a respectable amount of flavor. Can anybody recommend a good machine? I tried looking through the consumer reviews, but I couldn't seem to find a way to specify super autos (if I missed something, knowing how to do that would be helpful). Thanks for your time.
-B
 View Profile Link to this post
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 2:55am
Subject: Re: Super Auto Recommendation

Brian,

First of all, welcome to coffeegeek.  

The big problem is everyone has a different concept of great espresso.  In my experience, a superauto is capable of producing a good shot of espresso, but not a great shot.  I would say you can produce shots at least as good as $bux and many other coffee shops.  For best results use good fresh beans roasted less than two weeks ago.

In your price range there are a number of possible machines.  You can expand the list a bit by also looking at refurbished machines.  Any of the online sellers that advertise on the website will be able to help you out.  Saeco, Gaggia and Jura-Capresso are the major players in the superauto game.  IMHO the best superauto is made by Quick Mill but costs about $2,400.00.  It is the only machine with a stepless grinder.  The other machines have from 3 to 10 grind settings.  If you go to the Wholelattelove website and use their compare-o-matic you can compare the specs of the machines you are interested in.

Good luck,

Fred
Dodge1
Dodge1

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 4:52am

Great espresso, super auto and preferably under $900 would be one heck of a machine but unfortunately it doesn't exist.  If you're willing to settle for barely semi-acceptable espresso shots and fairly good Americanos, I'd recommend buying a machine from:  

http://www.capresso.com/factory-serviced-products.shtml

The main reason I'd buy from Capresso is the 15 day "no questions asked" return policy and the one year warranty.

FYI, super autos require a fair amount of routine maintenance and aren't all that popular because they simply can't produce a quality shot; unless you get into the uber-expensive versions.

On the other hand, you can purchase a quality grinder for approximately $400, and a quality HX machine for approximately $1,000, that will vastly outperform any of the "reasonably priced" super autos.  And, the maintenance etc. on that setup would be about the same as what a super auto requires.  This is the reason that you won't run across that many posts on super autos, on this site, and any of the other coffee aficionado sites.

BTW, what is your current machine and grinder?
bbodnar

Espresso: De’Longhi EC 155
Grinder: De’Longhi DCG601
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:47am

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I don't think I can post what I use (it might fall under the endorsement thing in my first 5 posts) but on my profile I have listed my grinder and machine, they are both entry level, as I am fairly new to all of this. The only other question I had was that I heard as far as maintenance goes, de'longhi has a central unit that can be taken out and cleaned/shipped for repair, whereas a Jura is more intricate for maintenance. Is this true? Also, if it is true is there a reason why you guys didn't suggest a de'longhi super auto? Thank you.
-B
Rancilio

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Back to Basics Popcorn...
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:26pm

bbodnar Said:

Hello All,
    This is my first post, and I had a question. I am recently out of college and am in the market for a good super auto espresso machine. I currently use a separate machine and grinder. With a new schedule I would prefer a super auto machine. My price range is preferably under $900. I wouldn't need it to do anything except make great espresso and froth milk occasionally. I would like a nice thick crema and a respectable amount of flavor. Can anybody recommend a good machine? I tried looking through the consumer reviews, but I couldn't seem to find a way to specify super autos (if I missed something, knowing how to do that would be helpful). Thanks for your time.
-B

Posted August 28, 2009 link

It seems to me, the guys are trying to tell you that with a Super Automatic Machine you will hardly get a  great espresso coffee with a nice thick crema, unless a mediocre shot looks great for your eyes, I will never buy a Super Automatic coffee maker.
Mr.T
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009, 3:06pm

bbodnar Said:

I don't think I can post what I use (it might fall under the endorsement thing in my first 5 posts) but on my profile I have listed my grinder and machine, they are both entry level, as I am fairly new to all of this.

Posted August 29, 2009 link

It's also just below your name on the left side of the screen . . .

bbodnar Said:

if it is true is there a reason why you guys didn't suggest a de'longhi super auto? Thank you.

Posted August 29, 2009 link

There is a reason people here generally do not recommend super-automatics:  what they offer in convenience, they take away in quality . . . .

While there are certain situations where a super-automatic is just the right solution, this is rarely true when it comes to people's homes.  Think "airport," think "auto dealer's waiting room," think -- well, you get the idea.

bbodnar Said:

My price range is preferably under $900. I wouldn't need it to do anything except make great espresso and froth milk occasionally. I would like a nice thick crema and a respectable amount of flavor. Can anybody recommend a good machine?

Posted August 28, 2009 link

We can recommend several different machines and grinders, but  . . .

"make great espresso"  (a super-auto can't do that)
"I would like a nice thick crema"  (a super-auto can't do that)
"a respectable amount of flavor"  (a super-auto can't do that)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
frijoli

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009, 5:50pm

I can say with experience for a Saeco Vienna deluxe, a Saeco Royal coffee bar, and now a Jura F9 that you won't get great espresso from any of these.

The Royal was at the office I worked at from time to time, and it was better than brewed coffee, but not good espresso. It did fine for Americanos and cappuccinos. This Royal was my least favorite coffee.
The Jura is the simplest to use once it's set up the way you want for cup size and programming. This machine is the one my wife likes, but she doesn't drink espresso at all,only Americanos and cappos. I bought this barely used for 400 dollars
The Saeco Vienna deluxe worked the best for getting decent espresso consistently. This was only after trying to get all the grind settings right.  I wasted a lot of coffee beans. This is odd because this is the cheapest of the lot.  Having said that, this machine crapped out in a major way and cost more than it was worth to fix.

I have an eye on the future versions of the Quickmill Superautomatic. Although it's very pricey compared to your budget.

If you can find a Vienna deluxe in good shape at a VERY GOOD price I would mess with that. By good price I mean under 200 dollars.

Clay
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Super Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414132118225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+