Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia Ristretto Videos
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Tue Nov 3, 2009, 7:53pm
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Ristretto Videos

I just added the V3 2009 maker to my kitchen.  All stock, no PID yet and just temp surfing for now.

I've reduced the stock brew pressure from the OPV. So far, I'm satisfied as the beans I've used is forgiving.

I'm trying to look at other members videos that feature Ristretto style shots using only Silvia to use as a baseline for comparisons, as many of you have probably tuned your shots for optimal performance.

Updated: Pull is slightly tighter, but the flow can be smoother.   Going tighter will cause the flow to become longer or my grinder is the bottleneck.
Here is my current unit in action.  Take note this is a Ristretto style extraction completed in 25 secs -- yielding ~ .75 oz.  It may appear lighter in the video, but is actually darker in person.  It is probably the Florescent light.
My video

Here is one guy's Espresso shot which looks very great!  The flow is steady and very rich dark in cream.  However, this person may have replaced his stock pump with a rotary pump.  Does anyone have a video they can share that is better or similar in quality to his?  Apparently this guy is either selfish or what, but he doesn't want to share detailed information on his setup, but is willing to show the performance and exterior.  Hopefully this is not the case, and this person is just very busy. :)
His video
Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 4, 2009, 10:15am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Ristretto Videos

The most telling part of an espresso shot video is the expression on your face when you take the first sip.
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 4, 2009, 11:13am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Ristretto Videos

Frost Said:

The most telling part of an espresso shot video is the expression on your face when you take the first sip.

Posted November 4, 2009 link

Some of my near-Godshots were rather pedestrian looking pours. ;) In fact, that's what made them so outstanding, having no hint as to what you were about to sip.  

/mr. nitpicker/The second vid dude need to clean or replace his group gasket, and possibly clean/flush his 3-way, btw. /mr. nitpicker/ LOL.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337029933929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+