Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Troubleshooting guide for "no heat" on a Silvia
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Troubleshooting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2007, 4:59pm
Subject: Troubleshooting guide for "no heat" on a Silvia

If your Silvia won't heat up, here are some simple steps you can take to help isolate the problem.

Simple things to check first:
  1. If the big orange light (BOL) next to the main power switch is steady-ON, but the boiler is not heating up, then the safety thermostat has probably tripped and needs to be reset.  After you understand what caused it to overheat, then unplug the machine, remove the top cover, and press the red button  to reset the thermostat.  If the original problem was caused by a tripped safety thermostat, then the heater will probably work again after you put the top back on and plug the machine in.  If you can't figure out what caused it to overheat in the first place, though, then you are running a risk of damaging yourself or your machine when you turn it back on.
  2. BOL steady-ON, but resetting the thermostat didn't fix it?  Likely to be a burnt out heating element.  Skip to the "experts" section below.
  3. If the BOL stays off when the machine is turned on cold, then the problem is the brew thermostat or the steam thermostat.
  4. To eliminate the brew thermostat as the cause, flip the steam switch ON.  BOL comes on and boiler starts to heat?  Then you can be nearly certain that your brew thermostat is defective.  Spend $10 and replace it.
  5. Still no heat?  Then it is probably the steam thermostat.  Replace the stat and try again, or continue below.

Additional steps for those with some electrical/electronic experience:

Further testing requires a multimeter and some understanding of electricity, thermostats, and appliance wiring.  Stop now and get somebody to help you if you don't have all of these.

1. Make sure the machine is completely cool and UNPLUG it.  Leave it UNPLUGGED til you are done with all of the following steps.
  2. Disconnect the wire leads from the steam thermostat (this is the thermostat on the top of the boiler, on the right side, nearest the pressure valve).
  3. Use your multimeter to determine if the steam thermostat is closed, i.e. conducting.  Use either the continuity tester, or the ohm-meter.  If the machine is cold and you have anything less than full continuity, or any measurable resistance (more than a couple of ohms) across the bare thermostat terminals, then the steam thermostat is bad.
  4. If the steam thermostat is OK, then disconnect the wire leads from the two heater terminals in the central, top area of the boiler.  Use your meter to measure the resistance (ohms) across the two bare terminals.  For a 110V Silvia, you should get a reading of around 16 ohms.  For a 220V Silvia, you should get a reading of around 64 ohms.
  5. If your actual readings are much higher (or if you get an indication of OL), then your heating coil is probably broken internally.  Off to the shop with your Silvia :-(  Take $100 or more with you.
  6. If your actual resistance readings are much lower, yet you are getting no heat, then there is something else going on that can't be diagnosed by these simple steps.

Finally, because a failing Silvia heating element can short to the boiler shell, I think it is a very good idea to plug your machine into an outlet protected by a ground fault detector (in the US, this is usually called a GFCI outlet).  If the GFCI trips, then stop using the machine right away and take it to the repair shop for a new heating element/boiler top.  Don't forget to take your $100+ with you.

Many other single boiler espresso machines are wired similarly.  So this procedure will probably work on some other machines, too.  But I'm only sure that it works on a Silvia.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
davemoffsite

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:52am
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting guide for "no heat" on a Silvia

Jim,
You ROCK!! Thanks for posting this - Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:18am

davemoffsite Said:

Jim,
You ROCK!! Thanks for posting this - Dave

Posted November 10, 2009 link

Welcome to Coffeegeek, Dave! :D

Just curious...which point in the list resolved your Silvia's issue?
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Tue Nov 10, 2009, 7:05pm

davemoffsite Said:

Jim,
..... Thanks for posting this - Dave

Posted November 10, 2009 link

Happy to know it helped.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
terryb99

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Aug 7, 2011, 11:07am

Almost 4 years to the day since your post, Google led me here.

My Sylvia is now back getting hot.

It was the breaker. She is almost 15 years old. Her and her brother Rocky are still going strong.

Thanks!

Terry
carabelli
carabelli
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID'd '05 Rancilio Silvia w/...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus
Drip: inverted Aeropress w/ metal...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:46pm

Thanks so much for this troubleshooting guide.  Got my 8 year old Silvia running again by replacing the steam thermostat.  Is it likely that the other t-stat will go out soon, i.e. is it worth it to replace it now, or just wait until it dies?  Is a blown t-stat a sign of something deeper, or just a blown t-stat?

Mick
Addman

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 8:10pm

I have a PID - the BOL is steady off, but the PID out is on steady. any help PLEASE
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Troubleshooting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383392095566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+