Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help with a Cuisinart EM 200
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressofilus

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Faema MP
Posted Mon Feb 1, 2010, 10:04am
Subject: Re: Need help with a Cuisinart EM 200

I never try to steam first with this machine.
If I'm making two lattes, I'll pull both shots first, into hot cups, and set them on top to stay warm. Then steam, pour, steam, pour.
Works okay, if a little slow. Both people get nice hot lattes.

My only real complaint is with the 1 little hole in the filter basket to provide the backpressure. If i tamp even just a little too hard, it seizes the machine and I have to start over. If I can get a good basket, I think I'd be good to go. As it is, I have to just barely tamp, then pull my shots just a little shorter than I'd like, and I can get a good flavor and a decent crema. I have to base the length of the pull not on time or volume, but on the color of the espresso, and then I can get consistently good drinking.
 View Profile Link to this post
cafediva

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuovo Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: none--want a Technivorm
Roaster: nope--sounds fun, though
Posted Thu Mar 4, 2010, 9:19pm

Well, I'm throwing in the towel...or my Cuisinart EM-200 actually. I cannot think how I can make this machine any better, and it just isn't good enough. Now, no matter how much I warm the cups, the portafilter, the machine, etc., I can stick my finger right in the freshly made coffee and it's not hot enough to even make me pull my finger out of my flat, no-crema shot. Bah.  And three minutes to stretch a few ounces of milk? No, I just don't have the patience. And the steam knob is so darn hard to turn still. The first one I had actually stuck and I couldn't turn it off at all. I had to call my husband in to turn it off. That one was replaced by Cuisinart; they were super nice about it. I've had this one since late December. So, I sucked it up and found a good deal on a Nuova Simonelli Oscar. My mornings (and caffeine) are just to precious to be mad about a machine. I guess I just didn't have good luck with this machine;  I wish all of you luck with yours.
espressofilus

Posted Fri Mar 5, 2010, 3:08pm

Sorry to hear that it's been so bad for you. I do wonder if you got a bum machine.
My pulls are hot, too hot to touch, though I haven't taken an actual reading of a shot as it emerges.

Once I got the grind right (the key was to go finer but not tamp too hard, to allow the tiny hole to "do it's thing") I've been able to pull consistently good shots. Good crema, and with an organic Costa Rican dark roast bean,  a lovely, almost chocolatey flavor.

I would go so far as to recommend it to other "mid-range" esrpesso lovers. By mid-range, I mean it's notably better than the cheapest makers, while still pretty easy to use, but it's not up to standards of those who NEED a 25 second pull or everything done to the letter.

Hope you love your new Simonelli!
DigitalSorceress
DigitalSorceress

Espresso: Cuisinart EM-200
Grinder: Barataza Virtuoso
Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 6:23pm

I know it's been a LONG time since you posted, but I thought I'd report on my own experience. I too have an EM-200, and have been feeling very much like the pressurized filter basket was "training wheels". I found your post while trying to research my options. As far as I can tell, unless I go off and randomly order baskets hoping one will fit, it's going to be a DIY kind of thing.

I just got done spending 30 minutes in the basement with my double portafilter basket and my Dremel.

I very VERY carefully used a cutting wheel to remove the bottom wall, leaving me with a single-wall filter basket. It was a very delicate operation, but it worked out very well. I honestly don't know how well I could repeat it, but after the modification, I dialed in my grinder a bit and ended up (after several failed shots) pulling my best shot yet on this machine.

The thing I noticed is that before modifying the filter, it was easy to have too fine a grind/too tightly packed puck which would cause the machine to go into "over pressure" mode (beeping and flashing). After modifying the filter, I still had to dial in a bit, but I could use a much finer grind than before without causing the whole thing to go catatonic.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressofilus

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 6:39pm

DigitalSorceress, that's very intriguing. That "overpressure mode" drives me batty. Catatonic is a great word!
It wasn't obvious to me that that the first layer was actually full of holes (I thought some of them were just "cosmetic".
So you turned it upside down and cut out the bottom while leaving in that layer that just looks like it tack welded into the basket? Hmmm. Do you have a picture of the finished product?

Thanks for replying.
DigitalSorceress
DigitalSorceress

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 6:41pm

I was thinking I should do a quick photo.... will see what I can come up with in the next few minutes.
DigitalSorceress
DigitalSorceress

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 7:17pm

]]Click Here (farm5.static.flickr.com)
300_9549 by digitalsorceress

This is the basic "working position"... actually just shot the photo after the fact, but this is how I held it and where I cut it

Click Here (farm5.static.flickr.com)
300_9551 by digitalsorceress
after the cut, I cleaned /deburred the edges using a wire brush

Hope that kind of shows the technique
espressofilus

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 7:21pm

Nice job! Thanks for adding the pics.
freakanom

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 8:33pm

Really good job there digitalsorceress.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to do anything similar neither would I risk to break a basket which I dont know if I can replace.
I was wondering if anybody confirmed compatibility with the KRUPS filter basket :/
espressofilus

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 8:44pm

I looked for the closest one I could find on the Krups site and then asked them about specs. I even indicated to them what diameter and depth my current basket is. Krups replied with:

"We thank you for your email via KrupsUSA.com.  Unfortunately, we do not have a filter basket in the size that you need.  The base of our filter baskets are 41.27 MM.

I would think that would be too small.
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.456505060196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+