Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MrFollies

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Prima Popper
Posted Sat Apr 24, 2004, 10:04am
Subject: Re: Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines

jim_schulman Said:

Absolutely, taste is king. In any case, either my spring on the valve or the gauge is very non-linear, since it took a lot more turns to go from 10 to 9 than from 11 to 10 bar.

Posted April 17, 2004 link

I just adjusted my Tea and I noticed exactly the same thing.  One other thing I noticed is that a 9 reading with a blind filter equals about a 8.3 with coffee.

-D
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
LurkerJohnny
LurkerJohnny
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 1 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Krups Moka Brew (favourite)
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 2:55am

Has anyone tried adjusting the vibe pump pressure on a Expobar? I am seriously considering this machine.  Does it even need adjusting on an Expobar? If i were to get one, I would want to aim for smoother shots.   Johnny.
 View Profile Link to this post
CaffeOle
CaffeOle

Espresso: Expobar
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sat May 1, 2004, 1:23pm

Has anyone tried adjusting the vibe pump pressure on a Expobar? I am seriously considering this machine.  Does it even need adjusting on an Expobar? If i were to get one, I would want to aim for smoother shots

I adjusted both temperature and pressure on mine. I don't have a PF gauge so I used Another_Jim's technique for measuring the "run-off" back to the tank. One trick is that the flow-rate is significantly higher when the heater is off than when its on. I waited for the light to go off and adjusted the Over Pressure Valve till I got ~2 oz in 25 sec. Initially I had only 0.5 oz. Shots are definitely better.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat May 1, 2004, 5:41pm

Hi Jim,

You said HX machines and high end single boiler machines.  There is a device in my Silvia which looks like a pressure limiter.  Do you know if it will lend itself to this sort of tweeking?

Thanks,

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat May 1, 2004, 5:58pm

PJK Said:

There is a device in my Silvia which looks like a pressure limiter.  Do you know if it will lend itself to this sort of tweeking?

Posted May 1, 2004 link

Yes, see Silvia Pressure Modification (and countless posts on the same subject).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun May 2, 2004, 7:30am

Dan had posed a question to me in the New Lyra owner thread that I was unable to answer regarding the 2 expansion valves on these particular machines, Lyra, Mini and CKX. I looked this system over thoroughly and came up with a question or two for Jim S.

1) water line in from direct feed or bottle to pump
2) water line in from direct feed or bottle bypassing the pump and connecting to exp. valve
3) pump connecting to exp. valve
4) expansion valve to inlet solenoid
5) solenoid to tee, one side to boiler and one side to second expansion valve
6) exp. valve to tee, one side to H2O exchanger and one side to brew exchanger
7) second exchanger has bypass hose to drip tray

The first exchanger mounted to the pump is in the correct direction to be adjusted for water flow pressure. The second one is placed in the opposite direction to regulate the pressure being fed back from the exchangers

My two questions:
What is the purpose of the John Guest hose that bypasses the pump to connect with the exp. valve? If you connect a water line to the pump with it disconnected from the machine the pressure isn't enough to open the expansion valve. On direct feed it would seem to add water to the system when the pump pushed the valve open. On a bottle feed system it might act as a vent of some sort. I'm perplexed.

Which expansion valve would be adjusted for the brew pressure? Both?

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts. Kevin
CaffeOle
CaffeOle

Espresso: Expobar
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sun May 2, 2004, 10:11am

jim_schulman Said:

Vibe pumps drain 2 to 2.5 ounces of water in 25 seconds when they are at 8.5 to 9.5 bar. So put in a blind filter, use a measuring cup to catch the run off back to the tank, and adjust it to get that flow rate (wait for the pressure to max before measuring, you'll hear this in the pump going quiet as the flow stops, it'll take up to 10 seconds for preinfusing ones)

Posted April 16, 2004 link

Jim's "poor man's" technique worked pretty well for me but I would be interested to see a confirmation from an Expobar owner (with the same pump and OPV) who has a pressure gauge. Anyone out there care to give this a try? I saw a pretty big difference in "run-off" volume depending on wheter or not the heater light was on - presumably due to the current load and decrease in voltage for the pump (although I didn't confirm this with measurement). Thanks.
-B
barjohn
barjohn

Espresso: Breville Oracle
Grinder: Breville Oracle
Posted Sun May 2, 2004, 10:30am

I tried his technique on my Expobar before I got the pressure guage.  The reading from the pressure guage was different from the measure I got from that technique.  I can't remember whether it was low or high for sure.  Sorry I can't give you more details.

John

John

Veritas en Trashitas
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 11:18pm

Question for you senior geeks:

Say I want to add a pump pressure guage, but do not want to make some sort of frankenstein portafilter, can I just add a gauge with a "T" fitting immediately after the pump?  Or should the guage be installed further down the line after the OPV valve?

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
coffeehabit
coffeehabit
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Kony
Vac Pot: none
Roaster: manual 1k drum roaster
Posted Tue May 4, 2004, 12:55am

from the pump to your coffee you have the same pressure, as there are no valves in the middle to cut down the pressure and the only pressure control is the overflow valve.
hope this helps.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447939872742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+